Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

T'Challa in Black Panther is the least interesting out of its 10-12 most prominent characters and I wouldn't say it's really "about" its themes in any meaningful way. Just cause it brings them up doesn't mean it's deep all of a sudden. If anything it works best at its most visceral, like in the one-on-one combat scenes. 

Regardless both BP and IW are barely above average and I'm not looking forward to them being non-stop worshipped here till, well, their 2019 analogues in Captain Marvel and A4.

You're on the Internet. Worshipping pop culture is unescapable. 

Personally, I'm just fine with people liking what they like. It's when they start undeniably claiming superficial movies are more than they are, then things start to get out of hand.

Just now, Chewy said:

I remember thinking the villains in Guardians 1 being atrocious was some elaborate joke and then Gunn wrote like a wholeass essay on his facebook about their inspirations and motivations lmao

that's part of the joke, pretending he's a good villain when he absolutely fucking isn't.  Visionary Director James Gunn.

Edited by That One Guy

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I just did a Fellowship of the Ring rewatch the other night (proof I am a bored loser) and it's amazing to me how much all the parts come together better than Infinity War or any of the teamup superhero movies ever, so maybe my judgement is just clouded idk. That's how you do an epic. I'm only making this comparison because I've seen multiple people compare Infinity War to the scale/structure of Lord of the Rings, so.

That is because it is the beginning of a well-planned trilogy (easier to do when adapting books of course) instead of part #19 in a never-ending franchise series.

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

It's a repudiation of nostalgic fanboys who can't see the things they like for what they are, quite smart tbh

Or maybe it’s a statement about Gunn’s taste in music for better or worse?

(dude has a good ear for music. No Scorsese or Kubrick, but not many are in that department.)

1 minute ago, RRA said:

This BP backlash was so predictable. Next up, IW. “You know what it did wasn’t really THAT impressive...”

it's so lazy to just label any criticism as backlash. like jake only decided he had those issues after he checked the box office numbers. c'mon. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Most talented? Based on? 

He plays the same character again and again. Hell, he can't play a non-character. Exhibit A: The Tourist. 

Anyway, my repulsion of Depp started before the whole Amber Heard affair. It was seeing him in Pirates 4, 5, whatever, the Tourist, Transcendence, Dark Shadows etc. and realizing his schtick. 

I said he's the most talented A list actor. Who's better than him?

Just now, The Futurist said:

LOTR visual effects & CGI look rough & dated.

Yup.

The troll and the water effect in the Nazgul chase scene are a lil rough. Everything else still looks spectacular. Great sets, tons of extras, great costumes and design...

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

This BP backlash was so predictable. Next up, IW. “You know what it did wasn’t really THAT impressive...”

Is it backlash if I felt this way from the minute I walked out of the theater? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

I remember thinking the villains in Guardians 1 being atrocious was some elaborate joke and then Gunn wrote like a wholeass essay on his facebook about their inspirations and motivations lmao

In every ways, Peter Quill is an exact representation of James Gunn’s mentality and characters. 

• Like 2

Also 

CGI orcs in the Hobbit > Rubber Orcs in the LOTR Trilogy

Even if you disagree with that statement, they both look as fake.

Edited by The Futurist

3 minutes ago, RRA said:

It's less about backlash than it is about loads of people online being OTT with their initial reactions. 

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

ronan is meh but i've always had a soft spot because the one bit where he totally drops character to ask "what are you doing?" @ star lord dancing is the funniest line delivery in all the MCU to me.

1 minute ago, BK007 said:

You're on the Internet. Worshipping pop culture is unescapable. 

Personally, I'm just fine with people liking what they like. It's when they start undeniably claiming superficial movies are more than they are, then things start to get out of hand.

#GateKeeper

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

They're 20 years old! Find me a movie 10 years old that looks as good. 

T2 is 27 years old and held up rather well when I saw the re-release.

calling @IronJimbo

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Black Panther was a 200m blockbuster about colonialism and political revolution. It makes jokes about white people (the main audience for these) being colonizers and shit. I just don't think they're comparable, but to each their own.

Black Panther certainly had the root of a very courageous movie, but I am not sure how much they really play them out. It has the best "villain" in a while, Infinity War villain is Sam Jackson in Kingsman with a better emotional motivation but a weaker rational one and solution that make no sense.

Spoiler

The interesting but not really played out elements of Black panthers are some of the following:

- The presented "hero" to root for is an African dictator that does not help Africans at all, from a long dynasty of them fearing to being taken over by Ethiopian or other African powerful nation they hide from them, not even helping them during WW2 and what not. That a risky proposition, but it felt like none of this is somewhat really shown, in the storyline you never see them having to decide between helping when slave were getting sold away and they were the most powerful advanced military in the world. They had their premise easy.

- The "villain" want to liberate people, i.e. arguably the good guy here, again a risky proposition but they made him a bit too bad for no reason, to make it easier again.

- Movie set in Africa, a risky proposition but set in a fictional country and shot in South korea without much of anything real, again playing it easy.

For the MCU thought, what a nice fresh air and what a winning formula, photo wise that black cast was just nice an different to look at and I think Marvel will continu to win if they continu to bring setting that blockbuster audience are not used to look at (even if they are the same storyline with a third act fight) and that no one is use to look at in 200m movies productions.

I felt the same for a movie like 2016 Birth of a Nation movie, interesting and risky promise of a hero, is slavery in itself would justify killing slave owner young child just to make it more dangerous and less interesting to own slave is a good premise, not one easy to pull off, added a rape in there trying to have it easy but at the same time remove the very question that was interesting to explore with that story.

• Like 1

"I like it but I have these issues I'd like to discuss" isn't really a backlash anyway, it's how we as a culture discuss every movie

"It sucks and everyone who liked it was a deluded fanboy, I'm too smart for it. OVERRATED" - that's the BS backlash that will inevitably come

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Also 

CGI orcs in the Hobbit > Rubber Orcs in the LOTR Trilogy

Even if you disagree with that statement, they both look as fake.

This might be your worst take today - with a lot of competition.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's so lazy to just label any criticism as backlash. like jake only decided he had those issues after he checked the box office numbers. c'mon. 

You’re talking to a guy banned from replying in the Aquaman thread because he was too critical and that rubbed some fans the wrong way.

Try again.