Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

2 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Thank you captain obvious...:rolleyes:

You should give the guy some credits. 

He can do math. And count. At the same time.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Argue the reasoning why this bombed till you're blue in the face, but imo any sort of big franchise bomb is like a wildfire: A necessary destruction.

Maybe Star Wars has to let go of the past... Kill prequels if you have to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

It's not going that low, it'll be in Top-10 :P

Lol, I jest.

No chance at Top 10 WW though. Assuming it can get over 400M, that’ll put Solo at #8 WW. Just in summer: Incredibles 2, JW2, Ant-Man 2, and MI:F will easily go over 400M and pushed it out of top 10.

• Like 1

Looks like studios are expecting a 42 percent drop on Monday for IW. But since its still early I assume it will have a Monday drop off closer to 25%. 

Edited by Belle

lol at people saying TLJ had nothing to do with it. The signs were already there with TLJ dropping 700m from its predecessor worldwide (imagine if Age of Ultron had dropped that much or if this summer Jurassic World sequel did, you would never hear the end of it) and having poor legs for a pre Christmas weekend release (if it had been a summer release it likely would have been a Spider-Man 3 type legs situation). TLJ definitely had an effect. If it had been overwhelmingly well received  the afterglow would have spread over to Solo and help it do better, which is probably what Disney was expecting in the beginning 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

Just now, Belle said:

Looks like studios are expecting a 42 percent drop on Monday for IW. But since its still early I assume it will have a Monday drop off closer to 20-25%. 

I think why they are expecting a 40% drop is because of they are disney, 1st, but another reason is overwhelming sunday suggest a bigger space to bigger drop on monday.

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

lol at people saying TLJ had nothing to do with it. The signs were already there with TLJ dropping 700m from its predecessor worldwide (imagine if Age of Ultron had dropped that much or if this summer Jurassic World sequel did, you would never hear the end of it) and having poor legs for a December release (if it had been a summer release it likely would have been a Spider-Man 3 type legs situation). TLJ definitely had an effect. If it had been overwhelmingly well received  the afterglow would have spread over to Solo and help it do better, which is probably what Disney was expecting in the beginning 

Yep, afterglow from TLJ seems to be their reasoning behind the short turnover. As was Universal's  reasoning behind PRU original release date in February and then move to March. :lol:

Edited by Valonqar

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/will-dismal-solo-box-office-cause-disney-rethink-star-wars-strategy-1115233

Why do people keep saying "soft" or disappointing, It straight up bombed, why are they so afraid to say it?

I think part of the reason if that these report are so domestic focused, when you look at it that way, a 84M 3 day and 103M 4 day is not quite that bad (still in the bomb territory though considering RO made 532M domestic). If this franchise is anything like Fantastic Beast or Pirates it'd be fine because overseas market will contribute 500- 600M anyway. The media don't seem sharp enough to realize the bigger picture (international gross) is as important if not more so than the domestic number, and when they see a 100M plus opening, they're not comfortable with calling it a "bomb". 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sam said:

Maybe within top 20, when you count from bottom up.

5 minutes ago, Sam said:

Lol, I jest.

No chance at Top 10 WW though. Assuming it can get over 400M, that’ll put Solo at #8 WW. Just in summer: Incredibles 2, JW2, Ant-Man 2, and MI:F will easily go over 400M and pushed it out of top 10.

I was joking too, was counting bottom up as well. Your joke was so good, even you failed to recognise it :P

tenor.gif?itemid=3613490

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The NY Article includes marketing so they actually think the production budget is lower than what Deadline thinks. 

Yeah at least $400m is not much of a commitment as if they were in the know, could just be a reasonable guess.

$400m that would not even make Solo Ron Howard most expensive movie of is career. Angels & Demons in 2009 did cost $374.538m to make and release worldwide after rebate, that $437.4m 2018 dollar and people had gross point on that one real budget raised by 62.25m with the bonus.

Angels & Demons production + Bonus + world release was $510m 2018 dollar, that put some perspective into saying Disney was crazy or sure to loose money or should not have spent a rumored $470m to $500m on a Star Wars movie, has if it was a special or insane amount.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

lol at people saying TLJ had nothing to do with it. The signs were already there with TLJ dropping 700m from its predecessor worldwide (imagine if Age of Ultron had dropped that much or if this summer Jurassic World sequel did, you would never hear the end of it) and having poor legs for a pre Christmas weekend release (if it had been a summer release it likely would have been a Spider-Man 3 type legs situation). TLJ definitely had an effect. If it had been overwhelmingly well received  the afterglow would have spread over to Solo and help it do better, which is probably what Disney was expecting in the beginning 

It's a ridiculous situation all the way around. The loudest TLJ detractors join the youtube bois in screaming about absolutely embarrassing nonsense like identity politics and feminism ruining Star Wars. But the majority of ppl who have issues with TLJ complain about much more reasonable things like Luke or odd subplots. Meanwhile the loudest TLJ fans scream about the loudest detractors and pretend everyone else loves it. While the majority of ppl who like TLJ are just like "yea it's good, it works for me, I understand some ppl don't like it but ok"

So the entire conversation is SO LOUD and almost every reasonable take is drowned out by garbage

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/will-dismal-solo-box-office-cause-disney-rethink-star-wars-strategy-1115233

Why do people keep saying "soft" or disappointing, It straight up bombed, why are they so afraid to say it?

In an article that refuse to acknowledge TLJ wasn't well received as critics and DHL claimed it to be

I take comfort & solace in the fact that "Luke"'s legacy will be saved by James Gunn in Guardians Vol.3.

Again, it is the MCU that has to get shit done properly.

-_-

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1