WrathOfHan

Monday Numbers (Estimates on Page 9): Deadpool 12M | Infinity War 2.7M

7 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

DP2 would have been so well served by opening in the month August. That month's relatively weak competition allowed GotG to have immense legs and even a badly received film such SS held-up well. 

Really bizarre decision from Fox to open DP2 when they did. 

Yea they should've moved DP2 to August and have a film like Rampage take DP2 release date. Would've helped both movies out especially in terms of legs. 

11 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

The question for AIW now is: Can it recover from the major dent inflicted on it grosses by DP2? 

Also: Will Solo affect both it & DP2 as much? 

No it can’t and things will only get worse after solo arrives.

3 minutes ago, bladels said:

All the meltdown just because of Forbes' typo 

If it was Mendelson, he had those quite a few times in the last couple of months or so (at least if it is about a CBM, the other numbers I did not check)

Less interest, less effort?

Edited by terrestrial

People keep saying that DP2 should have opened in August but there is zero proof that its OW would have faired any better. It had Thursday previews of $18.6M which were not going to be topped if it opened in August. What really killed DP2s weekend was Saturday but to be honest I'm not sure had it opened in August that the Saturday number would have been all that better. 

The thing that August could have provided DP2 was better legs but I don't know how much better legs it could have given it. At some point in time, we have to realize that there is a cap on R-rated comic book films and I think the first Deadpool may have reached that cap domestically....for now. OS is another story since a lot of territories saw an increase in OW (while others stayed flat or decreased) but even then I would assume the cap without China for an R-rated CBM is probably around $450M  

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

I don’t get what Infinity War has to recover for...$650m something is better than anyone was expecting few months ago. 

Yall keep moving goal posts like with Wonder Woman, for instance...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12.3M number almost confirms that business in Canada was massive on Monday. Won't be surprised by 7-8% drop today. Hope nobody freaks out if it happens.

Edit - AIW number is pretty good as well. DP2's weekend was 4.2 times AIW and it's monday is 4.5. Not a big difference.

Edited by oMeriMombatti

51 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Really bizarre decision from Fox to open DP2 when they did. 

It achieved an over 300m opening too. It probably was perceived has a good weekend in many important market.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It achieved an over 300m opening too. It probably was perceived has a good weekend in many important market.

I was surprised people were so ready for their next fix of Superhero movie so soon after Avengers 3 

125.5 FSS

12.3 (-61.6%)

11.4 (-7.3%)

8.55 (-25%)

7.70 (-10%) // 165.45 week 1

14.7 (+91%)

21.2 (+44%)

20.4 (-4%) // 56.3 (-55.1%) weekend 2; 221.75 10-day

16.75 (-18%) // 73.05 4-day; 238.50 11-day

Edited by A2k Raptor
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

125.5 FSS

12.3 (-61.6%)

11.4 (-7.3%)

8.55 (-25%)

7.70 (-10%) // 165.45 week 1

14.7 (+91%)

21.2 (+44%)

20.4 (-4%) // 56.3 (-55.1%) weekend 2; 221.75 10-day

16.70 (-18%) // 73 4-day; 238.45 11-day

• Thanks 1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Just to confirm locked means you think it's 100% making 2b and there is no possible way it can make less

Well that's pretty strongly worded for sure.  :D  I believe it's going to make at least 2b.  But to say there's no possible way it could make less?  I can be pretty imaginative, and I can certainly imagine failure scenarios.  So maybe not locked in the sense that less than 2b is impossible, but I believe it will get 2b.  And I would be shocked if it falls short.

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

Yea they should've moved DP2 to August and have a film like Rampage take DP2 release date. Would've helped both movies out especially in terms of legs. 

Release dates don’t matter anymore. Deadpool 2 would have debuted the same in August. Rampage would have done the same in May. 

Release dates don’t matter anymore.

• Like 1