CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What's everyone expecting from next weekend's openers? I can't see either Sicario or Uncle Drew doing higher than mid-teens personally.

I see Uncle Drew bombing personally, maybe opening to 4 million.

Sicario I can see 14-20 million

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It might be the most "out there" movie to ever cross $100M for sure.

that and true grit were big BO stories around that time. true grit not as out there but for what it was it's kinda nutty how much it made. it's kinda low key and ends on such a bummer!

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

that and true grit were big BO stories around that time. true grit not as out there but for what it was it's kinda nutty how much it made. it's kinda low key and ends on such a bummer!

It beat Little Fockers at the Christmas box office and that's all that matters.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It beat Little Fockers at the Christmas box office and that's all that matters.

that was a year all the oscar movies sorta randomly blew up at the box office. 2012 another one. don't think we'll see that again you get one or two but most big oscar players seem content to land in the 30-50m range these days.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

that was a year all the oscar movies sorta randomly blew up at the box office. 2012 another one. don't think we'll see that again you get one or two but most big oscar players seem content to land in the 30-50m range these days.

It was a very commercial year for Oscar fare that year. If The Town (which was definitely #11) had gotten nominated instead of Winter's Bone the average among the grosses for all movies would've been even higher that year.

8 minutes ago, cookie said:

It had a huge run OS too.

That was even more impressive than DOM imo. Makes me think of Seven which had a very similar run 15 years earlier, 100m DOM and also it somehow became the third highest grossing movie of the year overseas. 

Just now, filmlover said:

It was a very commercial year for Oscar fare that year. If The Town (which was definitely #11) had gotten nominated instead of Winter's Bone the average among the grosses for all movies would've been even higher that year.

they could really use another year like that they're probably a year or two away from sub 20 mil ratings.

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Dory also had big animated competition with SLOP opening to $100m in it's 4th w/e

true, though the combo of a family friendly cbm in ant-man2 and an animation in ht3, in 4th and 5th weekends respectively will put on some breaks too.

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

@WrathOfHan Happytime Murders just got moved back to August 24 to accommodate Mile 22's move so not far off.

Didn’t expect it to be so close. It’ll still do fine

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Queen was taking names back then.

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

This year has quite a few bigger contenders between First Man, Black Panther, AD Astra, and Widows

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Can't go wrong with Harryhausen.

The emotions he shows on the face of his T Rex in Gwangi is a good as anything CGI has done.

IN a tribute to Ray Harryhausen, the head of SFX for the first Jurrasiac Park film said that "Gwangi" was a huge influence on the work they did for JP.

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

But I was told presales were so bad that sub 100m was possible 

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I really love the Fallen Kingdom soundtrack. Giaccino might not be anywhere near the genius level of Williams, but he makes damn good scores nevertheless.

I've been listening to the score for the past week. Doesn't reach the same heights as JP or TLW, but it's quite good. Giacchino's writes some solid monster music. This track in particular gave me a LOTR-ish type vibe, especially with the brass.

• Like 1