baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

Just now, Thrylos 7 said:

I am really cautious when it comes to new/modern horror films. I like both IT and “get out” but that’s about it. Things like “it comes at night”or even the highly praised “the witch”.....:apocalypse:  

What did you think of A Quiet Place? I thought it had a solid high concept and some cool scenes but the character/story stuff was on the weak side. Also too much bending of the rules for my liking.

4 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

What did you think of A Quiet Place? I thought it had a solid high concept and some cool scenes but the character/story stuff was on the weak side. Also too much bending of the rules for my liking.

Haven’t seen it, will catch it on home video. The only horror film I have seen in the theaters recently is IT and this mostly because I was curious after its bo success.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alli said:

ok maybe i was wrong about the public rejecting hereditary . i just checked letterboxd and people are raving. hmmm

A24's film arent neccessarily always "not made for the GA". The Witch actually had solid legs and It Comes at Night could very well be the exception.

46 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Solos drop was poor and you know it. 60% was likely given post Memorial Day, though the vast majority of other post MD weekends have had some form of new competition. So the opportunity for a better drop was certainly there. Instead it went in the opposite direction and dropped 65%+  and even worse than virtually any other MD opening comp except Alocalyspe. That movie got a 2.35x multi. So the question becomes if Solo held this poor with no competition, what will happen when it actually has some heavy hitters  soon?

40 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

60% is expected. 65% is in line with the Pirates 5 drop last year (slightly worse actually), and that had to deal with Wonder Woman. It was a half-facetious acknowledgment of a bad hold.

Pirates 5 found some decent legs though, I don't see that happening for Solo with I2 and FK looming.

That isn't what I was talking about, I'm talking about throwing in Deadpool 2 and Infinity War in the same question with a weird context. 

45 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Solos drop was poor and you know it. 60% was likely given post Memorial Day, though the vast majority of other post MD weekends have had some form of new competition. So the opportunity for a better drop was certainly there. Instead it went in the opposite direction and dropped 65%+  and even worse than virtually any other MD opening comp except Alocalyspe. That movie got a 2.35x multi. So the question becomes if Solo held this poor with no competition, what will happen when it actually has some heavy hitters  soon?

To play devil’s advocate, it does have to deal with the most frontloading Thursday preview wise than any of the other Memorial Day openers. The drop with no competition is worrisome, but can at least partially be attributed to that.

• Like 1

The sheer amount of stupid horror movies I've watched during my teens is the main reason why I really don't like horror movies in general.

Still, some of my favourite films belong to the horror genre, now that I think about it, my favourite intro to any movie is the Exorcist's intro.

1 minute ago, LaughingEvans said:

The sheer amount of stupid horror movies I've watched during my teens

I used to watch all those korean horror movies, but if you ask me about it now, i  couldn't name you 5. lol   i thought they were great back then, but i now realize they were pretty forgettable

17 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

That isn't what I was talking about, I'm talking about throwing in Deadpool 2 and Infinity War in the same question with a weird context. 

Yeah, clearly not in the same boat. Though all holdovers tend to get hit hard after MD, so the fact that both had good drops I think lends more weight to the idea that Solo should have been able to drop lighter given the lack of competition. Several holdovers were sub 40% this weekend, which is nearly unheard of for the weekend after MD. Compare the holdovers this weekend to the ones last year for example:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?view=&yr=2017&wknd=22&p=.htm

Edited by MovieMan89

42 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

She did a podcast or something called Marvel Watchers. One day marvel replaced her and she immediately went full Marvel hater. Then Marvel banned her from their events/interviews as well. She didn't take it lightly.

It was a web show.

Well show might be a little generous.  Most of the vids were like 5ish minutes long.

56 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

She did a podcast or something called Marvel Watchers. One day marvel replaced her and she immediately went full Marvel hater. Then Marvel banned her from their events/interviews as well. She didn't take it lightly.

dang, why did they do all that?

Dear god, now RT is claiming reports put Solo north of 450m after marketing. These "reports" of the costs for it just keep climbing and climbing. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall in certain Disney exec meetings on this one...

• Like 1