baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

3 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Deadpool 2 and Avengers: Infinity War weekend numbers are great. I'm glad to acknowledge that I was wrong about Deadpool 2 not being able to make to $300m+ dom, and while I'm not completely confident that it'll make to $320m+, it's certainly looking like it. I'll stick with $315m Dom right now purely for conservative reasons and keep my expectations in check. @baumer has seemingly made the right call comparing Deadpool 2's run to Spider-Man: Homecoming. 

Well, thanks for the props, but it has a long way to go to to get to a 2.8X...in fact it won't.  But what I meant is that Homecoming had two pretty steep falls in the second and third week and recovered nicely.  I think DP will do that as well.  I hope it gets to 300 but that would only give it a 2.4X.  Not horrible, but not Homecoming like either.

• Like 3

@WrathOfHan I can give you these weekly now:

11x:

Mission: Impossible – Fallout: Black Panther, Annihilation, Ready Player One, Black Panther Round 2, Avengers: Infinity War, A Quiet Place, Avengers: Infinity War Round 3, Deadpool 2, Book Club, Action Point, Adrift

10x:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 2, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 3, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 4, Black Panther, Pacific Rim: Uprising, Black Panther Round 2, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Infinity War Round 2, Avengers: Infinity War Round 3

Incredibles 2: Coco, Coco Round 3, Coco Round 4, Coco Round 5, Paddington 2, Coco Round 6, Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Infinity War Round 2, Avengers: Infinity War Round 3

7x:

Venom: Black Panther, Game Night, Black Panther Round 2, Blockers, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Infinity War Round 2, Avengers: Infinity War Round 3

Sicario: Day of the Soldado: All the Money in the World, The Post, The Commuter, Annihilation, Unsane, A Quiet Place, Deadpool 2

6x:

Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Early Man, Peter Rabbit, A Wrinkle in Time, Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero, Show Dogs

The Darkest Minds: Blockers, A Quiet Place, Tully, Deadpool 2, Action Point, Adrift

5x:

Alpha: Dunkirk Round 2, Geostorm, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 3, Last Flag Flying

Adrift: A Wrinkle in Time, Ready Player One, Avengers: Infinity War, A Quiet Place, Avengers: Infinity War Round 3

The Grinch: Isle of Dogs, Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero, Deadpool 2, Show Dogs

Christopher Robin: A Wrinkle in Time, Love, Simon, Isle of Dogs, Book Club, Show Dogs

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!: The Post, Love, Simon, Tully, Book Club, Adrift

4x:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: Peter Rabbit, Love, Simon, Pacific Rim: Uprising, Ready Player One

Hereditary: Annihilation, Thoroughbreds, Unsane, A Quiet Place

Tag: Unsane, A Quiet Place, Tully, Action Point

3x:

Duck Duck Goose: My Little Pony: The Movie, Wonder, Coco

Alita: Battle Angel: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 2, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 3, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 4

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Black Panther, Game Night Round 2, Black Panther Round 2

Smallfoot: Paddington 2, Early Man, Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald: Ready Player One, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Infinity War Round 2

Action Point: Pacific Rim: Uprising, Blockers, A Quiet Place

Can You Ever Forgive Me?: Unsane, Isle of Dogs, Book Club

Teen Titans Go! To The Movies!: Paddington 2, Peter Rabbit, Show Dogs

2x:

Polaroid: Wind River, Happy Death Day

The New Mutants: Thor: Ragnarok, Thor: Ragnarok Round 2

Eighth Grade: Love, Simon, Isle of Dogs

Won’t You Be My Neighbor?: Isle of Dogs, Tully

Uncle Drew: Black Panther Round 2, Deadpool 2

Sorry to Bother You: Blockers, Deadpool 2

Ocean’s 8: Game Night, Book Club

Skyscraper: Pacific Rim: Uprising, Action Point

Hotel Artemis: Deadpool 2, Action Point

Searching: Book Club, Adrift

1x:

The Current War: Wind River

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms: The Greatest Showman

Farmageddon: A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Early Man

Mary Poppins Returns: A Wrinkle in Time

Night School: Blockers

Blindspotting: Tully

Johnny English Strikes Again: Tully

The First Purge: Deadpool 2

Bohemian Rhapsody: Deadpool 2

Dog Days: Show Dogs

A-X-L: Show Dogs

Superfly: Action Point

The Happytime Murders: Action Point

A Simple Favor: Adrift

Crazy Rich Asians: Adrift

Mile 22: Adrift

Peppermint: Adrift

• Thanks 1

Yeah, unfortunately the main X-Men franchise has not been able to break free of its Wolverine dependence. They seem to need to shoehorn in a Wolverine scene in every movie.. I really do not see Dark Phoenix doing any better than Apocalypse 

3 minutes ago, A2k Rex said:

569cbf79a028d853d44372b496887b34--suit-a

I don’t know why I wasted my time reading the last 10 pages of this thread.

But this is a worthy post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

DoFP did that well because they got the Original Cast back. I imagine a true First Class sequel wouldn't have made $200M in North America (could be wrong). 

Feige did tweet when Marvel got the Opening Weekend Record back

This is how you treat fans. Another franchise could learn a thing or two.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Nova said:

I wonder how much profit Deadpool 2 is going to bring in for Fox. I know the first one had a net profit of $322M (according to Deadline) but since this one cost $110M and will likely bring in $85M less or so I'm wondering how much lower that number is. I'm guessing it'll be a net profit of $150M-$200M? 

Like other pointed out, even if it is hard it is easier to have some guess on how much profit a movie will make than how much of the profit a particular entity (here Fox) will make personally versus the others (it require guessing the profits and then guessing the revenues split).

Kinberg and Reynolds  must by quite expensive on this, but there is quite a special amount of profit made by those movies.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Pure Spirit said:

This is how you treat fans. Another franchise could learn a thing or two.

Take that shit to the fanboy war thread. Come on man!

• Like 9

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The one two punch of X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men: Origins set the main X-Men series back that I don't think they've quite been able to recover from (at least in North America). 

Dark Phoenix luckily got a much better release date.

Agreed, you can see the damage they did to the franchise and how it still hasn't come back to it's heights from the early -mid 2000s.

The only X-Men to top 30m+ in domestic attendance or hit over $300m will be the two DP and X2 and XM-LS - the latter of which killed momentum

If the first Wolverine had been a good movie that franchise could have been DP levels ($85m opening in 09), as it is it had to dig itself out of a hole and re-invent itself

16 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Top multipliers so far this year for films opening in 1,000+ theaters:

1. I Can Only Imagine: 4.860

2. Peter Rabbit: 4.603

3. Game Night: 4.052

4. Sherlock Gnomes: 4.026

5. Forever My Girl: 3.857

6. Paddington 2: 3.676

7. A Quiet Place: 3.656

8. Book Club: 3.483

9. Love, Simon: 3.472

10. Black Panther: 3.461

Had no idea Forever My Girl actually had legs. Scarcely remembered it existed. 

3 hours ago, Nova said:

Fox's R-rated CBM franchise cost $265M to make and is going to rake in $2B+ without 3D and two of the films without China 

Imagine that 

:sparta:

And for those posters who actually had the audacity to say that Disney would more than likely get rid of DP once they acquire Fox, here's some food for thought.

Budget and gross for the last 5 X-men movies, not including Deadpool:

Wolverine:  

Budget:  150 million

Gross:  373 (WW )

First Class:

Budget:  160 million

Gross:  353

Days of Future Past:  

Budget:  200

Gross:  747

Apocalypse:

Budget:  178

Gross:  543

Logan 

First R rated X-men movie outside of DP

Budget:  98 million

Gross:  619 million

So when you look at the numbers, outside of DOFP making bank and Logan having a reasonable budget to give Fox a huge hit, the X-men movies are extremely expensive and they don't make nearly the profit that DP did.  

Even if DP2 ends up with "just" 700, give or take a few million, it will still be more profitable than every X-men movie.  So DP is a gold mine right now and it's not going anywhere.  

• Like 5

@Water Bottle I like the red warning you and the other staff put in the non-spoiler Avengers 3 thread, Avengers 4 Thread, and Ant-Man and The Wasp thread because it shows you are damn serious about spoilers and warning people both in the thread title and red warning.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Dark Phoenix is the last movie before the X men join the MCU. It’s obvious. It’s also for the better. While I liked the idea of the X men being in their own universe Fox just isn’t able to let them reach their full potential 

Agreed. I believe that the X-men’s box office ceiling is much higher than what we have seen from the singerverse films.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, baumer said:

And for those posters who actually had the audacity to say that Disney would more than likely get rid of DP once they acquire Fox, here's some food for thought.

Wolverine:  

First Class:

Days of Future Past:  

Apocalypse:

Logan 

So when you look at the numbers, outside of DOFP making bank and Logan having a reasonable budget to give Fox a huge hit, the X-men movies are extremely expensive and they don't make nearly the profit that DP did.  

Even if DP2 ends up with "just" 700, give or take a few million, it will still be more profitable than every X-men movie.  So DP is a gold mine right now and it's not going anywhere.  

I don't think Disney is gonna get rid of Fox actually. I think they'll at least keep Fox's brand alive so they can release Deadpool 3 as a rated R movie and so on.

Still sucks cause lots of people will lose their jobs. Crappy real-life situation any way you look at it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Wolverine:  

First Class:

Days of Future Past:  

Apocalypse:

Logan 

It is particularly lucrative that the movies can be made for relatively "cheap" when it comes to CBMs these days. That gives it a huge edge over nearly all other big tentpole franchises to get diminishing returns on each sequel yet still be very profitable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Wolverine:  

First Class:

Days of Future Past:  

Apocalypse:

Logan 

Yeah Deadpool will stay on his own, the character has reached his maximum bo 

potential (and exceeded it) and it would make no sense to change him or include him in the MCU. The X-men , on the other hand, are a completely different story.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:48 PM, Ledmonkey96 said:

There's Ocean's 8 next week. Should be good for 35-40mil.

That’s the only light before Incredibles 2. $35-$40 million and over $120 million domestic total and possible decent overseas numbers. WB has a hit for a $70 million produced film.