baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

14 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I wonder about "Marvel fatigue" with Ant Man. I mean, yes, Deadpool 2 is making a ton of money and it came out just three weeks after the Avengers tidal wave. But there has to be a point of diminishing returns with these, right? I mean they couldn't release a Marvel film every day and each of then still score big, right?

Disney faces this possible problem not only because of their own crowded Marvel schedule, but also because they can't control when other studios, like FOX** and SONY, that own Marvel properties are going to release Marvel-branded films too. 

I know that just in the past 7 months, we've had FOUR Marvel-brand films released and all have been blockbusters. But it can't just go on like this forever, can it? SOLO warning in effect for this one?

** At least not until, or if, the FOX sale goes through.

I think the opposite. I think it'll get a boost from the IW and BP popularity. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I wonder about "Marvel fatigue" with Ant Man. I mean, yes, Deadpool 2 is making a ton of money and it came out just three weeks after the Avengers tidal wave. But there has to be a point of diminishing returns with these, right? I mean they couldn't release a Marvel film every day and each of then still score big, right?

Disney faces this possible problem not only because of their own crowded Marvel schedule, but also because they can't control when other studios, like FOX** and SONY, that own Marvel properties are going to release Marvel-branded films too. 

I know that just in the past 7 months, we've had FOUR Marvel-brand films released and all have been blockbusters. But it can't just go on like this forever, can it? SOLO warning in effect for this one?

** At least not until, or if, the FOX sale goes through.

No because unlike Star Wars, the Marvel films are different. 

For example, the three Marvel films that have come out in this year are Black Panther, Infinity War and Deadpool 2 and while they're comic book movies, they're are all different from one another. 

Thats why there is no "fatigue" with them. And as long as they remain of quality and different, they'll keep making money even when people expect "fatigue". So unless Ant-Man 2 is a turd, expect it to continue the Marvel dominance. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

There is no marvel fatigue as marvel makes good crowdpleasing films.

There is star wars fatigue as they made 2 films in 6 months...one film the fanbase never wanted and the other becoming the most divisive uber blockbuster of this decade.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

So BP did 247k this weekend with 870k left to 700m. Some comps of the recent leggiest non-kids movies at the most similar point in their runs:

The Greatest Showman: 226k

remaining gross: 700k (estimate)

Jumanji: 186k 17th weekend

remaining gross: 600k (estimate)

So it misses the mark with both of those movie's multis from comparable weekends, and hard to imagine leggier runs than either of them. Only way it gets there on its own is if it inexplicably performs like a kid's release does in late legs, such as Peter Rabbit. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

So BP did 247k this weekend with 870k left to 700m. Some comps of the recent leggiest non-kids movies at the most similar point in their runs:

The Greatest Showman: 226k

remaining gross: 700k (estimate)

Jumanji: 186k 17th weekend

remaining gross: 600k (estimate)

So it misses the mark with both of those movie's multis from comparable weekends, and hard to imagine leggier runs than either of them. Only way it gets there on its own is if it inexplicably performs like a kid's release does in late legs, such as Peter Rabbit. 

otoh, it does have summer weekdays.

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

No because unlike Star Wars, the Marvel films are different. 

For example, the three Marvel films that have come out in this year are Black Panther, Infinity War and Deadpool 2 and while they're comic book movies, they're are all different from one another. 

Thats why there is no "fatigue" with them. And as long as they remain of quality and different, they'll keep making money even when people expect "fatigue". So unless Ant-Man 2 is a turd, expect it to continue the Marvel dominance. 

Solo was going to be very different. The Lord and Miller cut was going to be a GotG-style comedy. :whosad: 

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

otoh, it does have summer weekdays.

Yeah but it also had summer weekends, which are less advantageous because of deflated jumps and way way more competition. I'm not seeing 700 on its own, unless Disney just keeps tracking it until like Labor Day or something and even then I don't know.

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah but it also had summer weekends, which are less advantageous because of deflated jumps and way way more competition. I'm not seeing 700 on its own, unless Disney just keeps tracking it until like Labor Day or something. 

It made that much the week before this w/e.  It will make that much well before Sept.  It hasn't even done the 2nd theater run yet

May 25–31 13 $746,707 -36.4% 440 -495 $1,697 $698,882,949 15
  • Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

It made that much the week before this w/e.  It will make that much well before Sept.  It hasn't even done the 2nd theater run yet

May 25–31 13 $746,707 -36.4% 440 -495 $1,697 $698,882,949 15

Not how it works. Again, look at TGS and J's runs if you don't believe me. And as great as BP's legs have been, they haven't been close to the level of those two. 

I just got back from Life of the Party.

I went in with low expectations (because Tammy and The Boss).

But halfway through the film there were 3 scenes in a row that made me cry laughing. Literally hysterical

I can understand the solid holds now. 

Pleasant surprise. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

I want the #LordandMiller cut 

There is Lord and Miller footage, but no Lord and Miller cut since they were fired before the film was completed.

If it ever surfaces, I suspect it will end up like the Donner cut for Superman 2...interesting, but not really a completed film.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Solo had a better second week hold than The Last Jedi, just like Justice League compared to BVS. The Star Wars franchise is saved.

I hope this is a failed attempt at humor.

If not, it's just about the dumbest thing concerning box office I have read in a while.

For all it's divisiveness, TLJ was still a cash cow for Disney, though not quite a big a done as the previsou 2 Disney era SE films. Solo is going to cause substantial losses for Disney.

And the SW Franchsie is not in any danger. When a franchise has been so mind bogglingly successful, you don't give up on it because you have a  single failure.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1