Asyulus

INCREDIBLES 2 Weekend |🏆| ACTUALS: 182.7M OW | O8 19M, Tag 14.9M, Solo 10M, DP2 8.7M, IW 5.4M

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I will always be a little bitter over Moana not getting Cars 3's date. Movie could have killed it in the summer, especially with DM3 not being all that strong DOM. 

With Lasseter gone, I wonder if Disney might experiment with putting WDAS films in the summer maybe every other year and have Pixar take November. I've noticed Pixar has their first Spring release in 2020 so it seems Disney are willing to mix it up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So, some of you are saying I2 is gonna outgross Toy Story 4, corrrect ?

What? I don't think I've ever seen anyone here say TS4 would outgross I2. 

Though I think I2 being gigantic should only be a good thing for TS4's success. Pixar's brand name should be in full swing again with audiences after the quality of Coco and the juggernaut success of I2. 

Edited by MovieMan89

24 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

what?  I predicted 228M OW.  that would’ve been fantastic

Well so $130m doesn't seem to crazy right? I am still expecting $142m, but I don't think that people who are predicting $130m are crazy. 

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

DP1 wasn't .  DP2 was since it was a sequel - well so is JW:FK

Even if DP2 is twice as front loaded as JW:FK it's numbers aren't looking great for a sequel to a $208m opener.

In Europe, all major territories except Bayona's Spain the o/w decreased by 30-40% .  The same drops would mean a $125- 145m o/w

Jurassic World was also a sequel 

no way was it seen as an original film with audiences 

@Nova

Jurassic Park/World isnt a presales-heavy franchise because it doesnt have a big fanbase that wants to see the film as early as possible (by that i mean Thursday previews mainly). It doesnt have big things or twists in it that could be spoiled, people know the drill with these films.

Outside of a relatively small number of true JP hardcore fans (small relatively to SW/Marvel/DC/Potter etc.), the "fanbase" so to speak for JP films was and is the whole GA itself, because dinosaurs are appealing to everyone from age five to ninty-five. Whether or not Fallen Kingdom connects with it is entirely dependant on the demand among the GA - and legs ofc are determind by the WOM that follows the OW.

There is a reason every JP movie that the GA has asked for (JP, TLW and JW) - adjusts to 460M+ DOM and two to over 700M. And keep in mind that TLW completely obliterated every BO record and only was cut short by its mediocre reception. JP3 otoh had to pay for the sins of TLW so to say - and still would have broken the OW record in 2001 if it hadnt opened on a Wednesday.

It astonishes me that people here still underestimate those dinosaurs. If the reception among the GA for Fallen Kingdom is good enough - and i think it will since the film is tons of fun - 400M+ DOM imo is basically locked and loaded.

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

“If you aren’t a superhero film fuck you” -2018 moviegoing audiences

Pretty much.

Ant-Man opening to almost 100m would not surprise me at this point.

Edited by The Futurist

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

“If you aren’t a superhero film fuck you” -2018 moviegoing audiences

For big blockbusters and until next weekend, pretty much yes. Dont forget A Quiet Place, Ready Player One and (maybe?) Peter Rabbit. Smaller numbers sure, but people still go to other movies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I’ve been busy the last few days so I googled the current BO thinking “probably aiming for a 130-140M weekend at the moment...holy shit 170???”

Could this be a reversal of JW/IO in 2015? Jesus Christ.

JW:FK being the new highest grossing movie to never hit #1?

• Like 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

@Nova

Jurassic Park/World isnt a presales-heavy franchise because it doesnt have a big fanbase that wants to see the film as early as possible (by that i mean Thursday previews mainly). It doesnt have big things or twists in it that could be spoiled, people know the drill with these films.

Outside of a relatively small number of true JP hardcore fans (small relatively to SW/Marvel/DC/Potter etc.), the "fanbase" so to speak for JP films was and is the whole GA itself, because dinosaurs are appealing to everyone from age five to ninty-five. Whether or not Fallen Kingdom connects with it is entirely dependant on the demand among the GA - and legs ofc are determind by the WOM that follows the OW.

There is a reason every JP movie that the GA has asked for (JP, TLW and JW) - adjusts to 460M+ DOM and two to over 700M. And keep in mind that TLW completely obliterated every BO record and only was cut short by its mediocre reception. JP3 otoh had to pay for the sins of TLW so to say - and still would have broken the OW record in 2001 if it hadnt opened on a Wednesday.

It astonishes me that people here still underestimate those dinosaurs. If the reception among the GA for Fallen Kingdom is good enough - and i think it will since the film is tons of fun - 400M+ DOM imo is basically locked and loaded.

You don't know this as there is only one data point for your Thursday previews. The other movies were released during a time when presales and front loadedness did not exist like it does today. 

No one is underestimating the dinosaurs. People are just using common box office sense to predict its OW. Like I said: almost every single movie that gets released today relies on presales. I don't see why JW2 would suddenly be an exception to this especially when it's coming off a movie that grossed $600M+ domestic. If JW2 proves me wrong, then great! It'll make the box office more exciting and the weekend thread next weekend more shocking to me. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

This is going to be especially true if AMATW outopens FK, which is seeming more and more like a possibility. 

If that happens i wont post here until December. And unlike trolls like this GraceRandolph guy/girl, im serious.

• Haha 2

Just now, Brainbug said:

If that happens i wont post here until December. And unlike trolls like this GraceRandolph guy/girl, im serious.

Ok, but why? Like what good does it do? I mean hey, if I hated your posts I'd say go for it, but I think you're an enjoyable poster whom I'd imagine most here don't have any issue with so gonna ask you to reconsider lol. 

• Like 2