sfran43

Monday's Numbers 23.9...eeeerrrr...24.1 according to Forbes

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow. 

Theres another person saying the footage they saw from TLK was great. And yet people still doubt it. 

Sky s the limit for The Lion King next year 

IF

everything goes right : visuals ( probably the only sure thing after Jungle Book), songs, storytelling, how the talking animals sound and look, how many changes ??? etc etc

If something feels slightly off, then, we ll meet in September 2019 watching TLK's "fans" 2 hours youtube videos rants about how Disney "killed" The Lion King and how and why Kathleen Kennedy is probably to blame.

Could be fun ?

:hahaha::redcapes:

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Currently bored, so here's how many weeks movies have lasted at my 12plex so far this year (only doing movies that lasted 5+ weeks and I'm including this upcoming weekend):

12:

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (14 weeks total with December)

9:

Avengers: Infinity War (and counting, but this upcoming week is probably the end of the line)

Black Panther (8 weeks in its initial run plus a one week re-expansion)

8:

Peter Rabbit

7:

The Greatest Showman (9 weeks total with December)

A Quiet Place

6:

Deadpool 2 (and counting)

I Can Only Imagine

Rampage

5:

Blumhouse's Truth or Dare

Book Club (last day is Thursday)

Life of the Party

The Post

Ready Player One

Solo: A Star Wars Story (and counting)

A Wrinkle in Time (4 weeks in its initial run plus a one week attempt at a fudge)

Edited by WrathOfHan

7 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

It dropped only 25% this weekend against an 180m opener losing almost 25% of its theatre count. There was also 3 wide releases this weekend. 

Whereas next weekend JW2 is the only wide release and will not open anywhere closr to I2. Granted IWs hold this weekend  was helped by Fathers day but I think it shouldn’t lose too many screens and a drop in the 30’s is what I expect

That 180 million movie also happened to be a Disney film.  It’s a known fact that when a studio opens a blockbuster film, other films from that studio that are also still out benefit from it. Especially when Disney does it.

JW is also opening in over 4400 theaters. Has there ever been two movies in over 4400 theaters at the same time? Idk. Those screens are gonna come from somewhere and i expect IW will be one of many films losing screens 

i expect it to drop 45-50 percent 

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

:)

I don't want to overhype anything (especially because it wasn't even an actual film clip -- just test footage).

But, yeah. I teared up. Favreau is the type of guy that could really do something special with the remake and such an incredible cast. The nostalgia factor could be massive for TLK next year. Possibly even greater than it was for Beauty and the Beast last year.

Too bad Tele isnt here anymore. He doesn't care for Jon Favreau as a director and I would love to see you two have a little debate on that lol I personally think he's a terrific director and I love watching the films that he directs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Sky s the limit for The Lion King next year 

IF

everything goes right : visuals ( probably the only sure thing after Jungle Book), songs, storytelling, how the talking animals sound and look, how many changes ??? etc etc

If something feels slightly off, then, we ll meet in September 2019 watching TLK's "fans" 2 hours youtube videos rants about how Disney "killed" The Lion King and how and why Katheleen Kennedy is probably to blame.

Could be fun ?

:hahaha::redcapes:

That'll only happen if the movie isn't a shiny, new retread of what people already know and love, so basically zero chance.

Plenty of story beats of The Lion king won't be that easy to pull off without the stylization of drawn animals.

I don't want want the film to fail at all but people are totally under-estimating the creative, you read me correct, difficulties & choices Favreau has to face to make Lion King a slam dunk.

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

people are totally under-estimating the creative, you read me correct, difficulties & choices Favreau has to face to make Lion King a slam dunk

Before Jungle Book it would have been the other way around I think, people having a hard time just imagine what it could even be.

I love the golden age of SH movies.

I've been dreaming of this since the early 80's and it has surpassed my expectations by a wide margin.

However I would understand ppl celebrating the end of the era if it means we'd get movies like the 90's: Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, Fight Club, Se7en, Shawshank Redemption, Goodfellas, Starship Troopers, T2, Fargo, Schindler's List, Groundhog Day, Gattacca, Usual Suspects, Braveheart, Transpotting, American Beauty, Good Will Hunting, Boogie Nights, Truman Show, and Unforgiven.

But all we would get is lame ass 2000's movies.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I love the golden age of SH movies.

I've been dreaming of this since the early 80's and it has surpassed my expectations by a wide margin.

However I would understand ppl celebrating the end of the era if it means we'd get movies like the 90's: Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, Fight Club, Se7en, Shawshank Redemption, Goodfellas, Starship Troopers, T2, Fargo, Schindler's List, Groundhog Day, Gattacca, Usual Suspects, Braveheart, Transpotting, American Beauty, Good Will Hunting, Boogie Nights, Truman Show, and Unforgiven.

I love how people are blind with their nostalgia.

They will pit the best movies of an era against the movies of the current era to claim it s crap.

While forgetting the era they are nostalgic about also had hundreds of crappy movies everyone has forgotten.

Funny how memory works.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

They will pit the best movies of an era against the movies of the current era to claim it s crap.

While forgetting the era they are nostalgic about also had hundreds of crappy movies everyone has forgotten.

Funny how memory works.

Ok name 20 movies from the 2000's as good as the movies I listed.

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

In a year like 2010 among live action non sequel/non strong IP movies making good money 88m or above (100m adjusted in 2017) we had:

Social Network

Black Swan

Inception

King Speech

127 hours

True grit

The fighter

Shutter Island

Salt

The Town

----

The Other guys, book of eli, Red, Due date, Valentine Days, etc...

Like 15 movies.

In 2017:

Baby Driver

Girls Trip

Wonder

Split

Greatest Showman

Get out

Dunkirk

Half ?

Who known what we would get ? How does the simulation engine running that parallel universe even start to try to evaluate that, I doubt blockbuster wise it would be better (and having Gone with the winds, Lawrence of Arabia, Titanic quality level, Lord of eh Rings, Alien, Gladiator, Jurassic Park, Private Ryans left and rights) it feel like blockbuster now in average are quite better than the mid 2000s in part because of Marvel and Disney Animation come back, but who knows about that type of movies above if they would not have that nice reliable stream to rely on.

A studio like Disney for example, could it do a quasi-exclusively franchise movie with very little of them almost no movie at all anymore output a whole year like they do without them ? Or would they have tried to go back to a 30+ slate and not the one having Star Wars?

9 hours ago, oMeriMombatti said:

New ‘Gotti’ Ad Hits Back At Critics, Calls Them ‘Trolls Behind A Keyboard’

After earning a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes from 25 critics, the team behind Gotti have decided that they’re not going to take it anymore, and dropped a social media ad lashing back at those who even dare possess a sour opinion about their movie which the New York Post called “the worst mob movie of all-time”.

A tweet posted last night on the Gotti handle read “Audiences loved Gotti but critics don’t want you to see it… The question is why??? Trust the people and see it for yourself!”

The 16-second ad, which you can see below, says “Audiences loved Gotti…Critics put out the hit….Who Would You Trust More? Yourself or a Troll Behind a Keyboard.”

What in the actual fuck? Holy hell do I hope this movie falls off the highest, steepest cliff there is. It's one thing for internet trolls to mess with a movie's RT audience score, but now we have actual studios doing it too and then advertising it? Fucking disgraceful that any studio would stoop to that level. Own your shitty movie and make a better one next time, dear lord. 

Edited by MovieMan89

36 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Ok name 20 movies from the 2000's as good as the movies I listed.

The Dark Knight, Pans Labyrinth, American Psycho, Gladiator, Memento, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, LOTR trilogy, Lilo & Stitch, Road to Perdition, Master & Commander, Oldboy, A Tale of Two Sisters, Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2, Inglorious Basterds, Collateral, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Shaun of the Dead, The Incredibles, Lord of War, Lady Vengeance, The Prestige, V for Vendetta, No Country for Old Men, Ratatouille, There Will Be Blood, In Bruges, Wall-E, Coraline

Oh i guess, thats more than 20...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Funny how memory works.

You have a point but he's also right. 1993 alone probably had better movies than this entire decade. 

• Haha 1

I think this holds closer to a Marvel than a Pixar, maybe down -53% to 85 mil for a 360m 10-day. I think it will co-exist with JW fine but it's going to be burning off a lot of demand during the week. From there it would need a 3.83x to hit 600. Dory did a 3.74x with a more competition (Pets) than I2 will face. It will be close.

All that said... having seen this twice, both of my audiences were locked in to the movie. Repeat viewings are going to be kind to it.

• Like 1