The Wild Eric

Little Women | December 25 2019 | Sony | Greta Gerwig directs | 24th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

Bad misses so far for Little Women; the condensed awards calendar is not kind to movies that get off to a relatively late start. Also, I wonder if LW is being dismissed as covering some of the same themes as Lady Bird, and "young women chafing against society's restrictions" is not on the list of subjects a director can endlessly revisit yet still get nominated over and over.

Yeah it's looking like this will be more of an audience film at Christmas time than an awards player. Which is totally fine. So many people are going to love this. I myself will be seeing it with the girlfriend and her family on Saturday the 28th.

I hope the movie has great audience reception. I have heard that it can be a little confusing for people not familiar with the book so we'll see.

This being a huge commercial success for Greta would be awesome and would help her career even more. Not every movie has to be an awards contender. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 9:52 PM, JB33 said:

Yeah it's looking like this will be more of an audience film at Christmas time than an awards player. Which is totally fine. So many people are going to love this. I myself will be seeing it with the girlfriend and her family on Saturday the 28th.

so exciting

57 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

This film not getting enough recognition is a prime example of Hollywood (or even the whole world) being full of sexism. I sure as hell want this film to rock the whole world and show them how ignorant those misogynists are. 

Doesn't have anything to with sexism. This movie has been remade plenty of times.

Edited by Curtis1986

This is definitely a crowded awards season, not everything is going to get in. Maybe this was better than some things that did get in, maybe it wasn't. But 99% of us haven't seen the movie, so we can't really judge yet. I just hope I enjoy it. 

I get the feeling that the film's awards performance thus far is less the consequence of the film itself not being up to snuff than it is of Sony just not getting it into the conversation early enough for the precursors. (And that's especially true with a number of the big contenders through this point having had long-standing critical acclaim from festivals months ago to build up their bona fides.) If it's a hit around Christmas and New Year's, I could see it sneaking in at the Oscars.

I'm reading the novel ahead of the film's release. It's every bit as earnest as you'd expect from something written as a "girl's novel" in the 1860s, but there's so much warmth and wit that I could absolutely see Greta Gerwig connecting with based on her work on Lady Bird and Frances Ha. I'm majorly hyped for this one.

13 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I get the feeling that the film's awards performance thus far is less the consequence of the film itself not being up to snuff than it is of Sony just not getting it into the conversation early enough for the precursors. (And that's especially true with a number of the big contenders through this point having had long-standing critical acclaim from festivals months ago to build up their bona fides.) If it's a hit around Christmas and New Year's, I could see it sneaking in at the Oscars.

I'm reading the novel ahead of the film's release. It's every bit as earnest as you'd expect from something written as a "girl's novel" in the 1860s, but there's so much warmth and wit that I could absolutely see Greta Gerwig connecting with based on her work on Lady Bird and Frances Ha. I'm majorly hyped for this one.

Have you ever seen the 1994 version? That one's pretty great too.

On 12/12/2019 at 2:08 AM, SLAM! said:

At least this is still a commercial play! An audience that loves and respects your film is an award in and of itself!

An overperform opening number will revive its Oscar chance. I think the poor showing in precursor award was mainly due to many haven't seen it.

This could be late-comer that surprise people after all  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

An overperform opening number will revive its Oscar chance. I think the poor showing in precursor award was mainly due to many haven't seen it.

This could be late-comer that surprise people after all  

They have been screening this movie since early November. It even got some acne Nas at the globe so I think enough people have seen it to just don't think it's award-worthy. This will probably be like Pride and Prejudice. 

Edited by Curtis1986