sfran43

Wednesday numbers: AM&TW $5.85M

I guess there could be a possibility that now that Infinity Wars is done and you had almost every single Marvel character in that film and it left us on a cliffhanger, perhaps Ant-Man is just anti-climatic. Maybe the majority of people just don't care because we are all waiting to find out what happens in part 2 of Infinity Wars. That could be just as good as a reason or excuse as anything else I guess.

It seems to me that AM&TW problem is that "palate cleanser" label stick and people don't rush to see that. As someone said, it may have a second life in dollar theaters where movies that aren't labelled must-see/essential viewing do well (example, Ant Man). Sad but that seems to be the case. I was hoping the franchise would overcome the feel of "unimportance" but guess not. :whosad:

But Asia appreciates it and that's big! :bravo:

Edited by Valonqar

10-day

total -  domestic total

Ant-Man - 81.3 - 180.2

Suicide Squad - 179.1 - 325.1

Spider-Man: H - 163.1 - 334.2

Jason Bourne - 80.7 - 162.4

Star Trek Beyond - 81.7 - 158.8

if Ant-Man 2 drops ~9.2%, then it makes 5.31 and 104 10-day total.

Ant-Man 2 104.0 10-day total comparisons.

Spider-man - 213.1

Jason Bourne - 209.3

Star Trek - 202.1

average - 208.2

35 minutes ago, baumer said:

I guess there could be a possibility that now that Infinity Wars is done and you had almost every single Marvel character in that film and it left us on a cliffhanger, perhaps Ant-Man is just anti-climatic. Maybe the majority of people just don't care because we are all waiting to find out what happens in part 2 of Infinity Wars. That could be just as good as a reason or excuse as anything else I guess.

I always thought this movie needed an IW boost to move up significantly. I thought maybe we'd get a tease at the end of IW but since we didn't, I think Captain Marvel will be the beneficiary of that boost.

Also I think we're seeing a divergence in how the fanbase responds to a movie vs critics too; critics clearly prefer standalone stories but fans are too tied into the story and want more connections/clues.

BoxOfficeMojo weekend prediction...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2018&wk=28&p=.htm

• Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (4,200 theaters) - $45.0 M
  • Skyscraper (3,782 theaters) - $34.0 M
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp (4,206 theaters) - $32.1 M
  • Incredibles 2 (3,705 theaters) - $17.5 M
  • Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (3,692 theaters) - $15.5 M
  • The First Purge (3,038 theaters) - $9.2 M
  • Sicario: Day of the Soldado - $4.1 M
  • Uncle Drew (2,381 theaters) - $3.6 M
  • Ocean's 8 (1,618 theaters) - $3.1 M
  • Sorry to Bother You (805 theaters) - $2.9 M

51 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

BoxOfficeMojo weekend prediction...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2018&wk=28&p=.htm

• Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (4,200 theaters) - $45.0 M
  • Skyscraper (3,782 theaters) - $34.0 M
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp (4,206 theaters) - $32.1 M
  • Incredibles 2 (3,705 theaters) - $17.5 M
  • Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (3,692 theaters) - $15.5 M
  • The First Purge (3,038 theaters) - $9.2 M
  • Sicario: Day of the Soldado - $4.1 M
  • Uncle Drew (2,381 theaters) - $3.6 M
  • Ocean's 8 (1,618 theaters) - $3.1 M
  • Sorry to Bother You (805 theaters) - $2.9 M

Ant-Man 2 keeps creeping up. :insane:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Ant-Man 2 keeps creeping up. :insane:

2 hours ago, Quake said:

Last week they had Ant-Man 2 opening to 88 million. 

They're bound to get it right at some point. Hopefully their weekend prediction is the most accurate!🤞🏽

• Like 2

9 hours ago, baumer said:

should have just released Ant-Man in the middle of September or January and seen an 'A' cinemascore go through instead of an 'A-' for the exact same film.

• Like 1

More reasons/excuses.

Ant-Man and the Wasp is a bit unfortunate to have I2 opened 3 week prior and JW:FK 2 weeks prior, which between these two blockbusters will probably gross 1 billion in domestic theatrical runs.

It is so much money an average US/NA family can spend on movie tickets in a month. The monthly budgets for movie-going are probably largely used up wen Am&TW opened.

Another point, I2 is also an entertaining superhero family friendly movie, and has burned up a lot psychological demand for this type of movies. After BP, AIW, DP2 and I2, 4 superhero movies in 5 months, I guess some superheroes fatigue is conceivable. Though the fatigue I'd say will not be long-lasting, but a period of a few months of rest is still needed. In hindsight, an October release would have been better for AM&TW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, justvision said:

Though the fatigue I'd say will not be long-lasting, but a period of a few months of rest is still needed. In hindsight, an October release would have been better for AM&TW. 

There is already a superhero blockbuster in October. :Venom:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1