sfran43

Wednesday numbers: AM&TW $5.85M

55 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

...an A- cinemascore is bad word of mouth?

Everyone said Ghostbusters had bad WOM at a B+ *eye roll*

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

lol @ Blumhouse only being able to get Unfriended in 1,500 theaters when the initial estimate last week was 1,900 :lol: 

It’s a BHTilt release. 

None of their films have ever been released in more than 1,800 never mind 1,900. 

You say “only being able to get” and add a laughing emoji as if that estimate came from them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

Everyone said Ghostbusters had bad WOM at a B+ *eye roll*

It’s a BHTilt release. 

None of their films have ever been released in more than 1,800 never mind 1,900. 

You say “only being able to get” and add a laughing emoji as if that estimate came from them. 

They said to BOP last week that it was opening in 1,900. That was the initial plan. I can laugh all I want, thank you very much.

• Haha 1

That A- cinemascore is low for Marvel so that makes sense, not important enough after IW. Always thought putting this between the A3&4 movies was a strange choice if it wasn't going to be more blatantly tied in (unlike Cap Marvel).

So interestingly enough, I have a group of friends that go to see a movie together each month. This month it falls on this Sunday and there was a poll for which movie to see. I was the only one who voted for AMATW. Everyone else voted Skyscraper. Granted, I know at least a couple of them have seen AM already but I know there are a couple who haven't. 

Just now, Ephemeris said:

Oddly enough, Ant-Man made 16.2% less on Wednesday than it did on Monday which is the lowest Mon-Wed drop in the entire MCU.

Was Monday deflated by something? Any special events in the US on Monday?

I think it's just the big discount Tuesday effect correcting itself.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I have seen no marketing for this Unfriended sequel. Add to the fact that hardly anybody remembers the original even exists, let alone saw it, and it's destined for a low run.

People definitely remember it exists from my experience.

Edited by That One Guy

9 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I think it's just the big discount Tuesday effect correcting itself.

But I deliberately left Tuesday out by using the Mon-Wed drop instead.

Thought the Sun-Mon drop seemed a bit big for this time of the year, then big Tuesday increase was unusual too, and now it has the best Mon-Wed drop in the MCU. Just makes it seem like Monday was hurt by something.

I'm not from the US so I thought I may have just missed something that happened on Monday. Guess not then?

AM&TW Wednesday / with 'Incribles 2' holds/drops:

Tuesday: $7,996,478 (+14.5%) / Wednesday: $5,829,432 (-27.1%). Actual number is better ($5,852,591)

with "JWFK" holds/drops:

Tuesday: $8,722,796 (+24.9%) / Wednesday: $5,818,105 (-33.3%). Actual number is still better.

AM&TW Tuesday: $10,042,976. 

SO even when this scenario (-42%) looks awful, it's way better than with the "normal" summer blockbusters drops.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

So people think Ant-Man 2 won't catch up to Thor 2?

Thor 2 made 3.5 m its first Wednesday.

Thor 2 (unadjusted for inflation) isn't a particularly difficult target: $206M.

But you can't compare the weekdays because it was released in November (AntMan2 won't jump +195% on Friday for example).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Yes, but Thor 2 made $36.5M its 2nd weekend (I don't think anyone is thinking AntMan 2 is getting there this weekend right now - or do they?)...and after a disastrous 3rd weekend, Thor 2 got to have the Thanksgiving dollars its 4th week...

So, it's gonna be really hard to compare the 2 to see if Ant Man stays close enough to beat it...

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It's a Marvel movie (the 20th in an ongoing universe) and therefore had an audience that showed up right away, for one.

Regardless, the movie hasn't even been out a week. Let's wait until the second weekend drop comes in and then we'll talk about its legs.

Well yes being a franchise sequel explain why even if it would be really good it could have done less than 3.5. But that sound more like an excuse than not being liked by audience.

That is a reason, someone advancing the movie not working well with audience to explain it's low leg is now what people tend to call excusing the movie bad legs.

Edited by Barnack

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I have seen no marketing for this Unfriended sequel. Add to the fact that hardly anybody remembers the original even exists, let alone saw it, and it's destined for a low run.

Upgrade didn't air many ads either and ended up fine. The budget is dirt cheap, so it could have a similar run as that and still be very profitable.

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Ant-Man 2 weekday number will look really good compared to all non-summer MCU sequel

Captain america 2 did just 4.8m well Guardian 2 tuesday was just 20%  bigger than Ant Man tuesday.

• Like 2

sun, mon, tue, wed, thu:

am1 -21% -58% +23% -33% -8%

smh -21% -58% +23% -34% -10%

am2 -21% -62% +44% -42%

am2 wed drop is perfectly ok considering the disc tue bump. around 10% drop on thu will be good.

• Like 3