YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

6 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I think the HT-films are still easy earners for Sony Animation.

First one made 88.5m in profit from a 358m WW box office on a 104m net budget and a 108.2m WW P&A.

Second one quite overperformed the 325m expectation at greenlight and 150-250 budgeted to do, 170/300, quite impressive. Break even point was estimated at 78dbo /129 intl, 207.7m WW with a 84m budget and a 120m releasing cost, it more than double it.

For HT-2 at 175dbo / 291intl they expected to make around 150m in profits (114m to the studio 36m to Lone Star), those movies seem really extremely profitable because they give very little in participation bonus.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

To write this just a few months after Jumanji?

It is now very difficult to get great box-office numbers outside of franchises. Skyscraper was risky in this sense, but his next movies are all "franchises"; it will obviously improve his success rate.

STARRING vehicle. Jumanji was an ensemble brand sequel.

6 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

STARRING vehicle. Jumanji was an ensemble brand sequel.

When was the last time Johnson starring vehicule outright flopped domestic ?

Doom in 2005 ?

He did not had an RIPD/Warcraft/Valerian/King Arthur domestic outright flop in a very long time.

Edited by Barnack

This weekend kinda sucks. 

HT3 should probably do about $130-$135 million domestic. A drop off yes, but Sony should be making a profit from it. Also this is the 9th $40 million debut for Adam Sandler, which is great!

Antman getting hit this weekend. Well... it should have healthier legs in the later future. But a total around $190-$200 million seems what it will earn.

ouch on Skyscraper! It’s The Rock’s lowest grossing debut since earlier this decade! And with bigger competition coming up, the film will burn very quickly. So around $60 million total is likely.

But on the other hand, Universal should have some more helpings after this one, as films such as Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom & The First Purge has already made a profit for them this summer. Hopefully, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! And among others in the Fall slate will help them recover. 

Incredibles 2, and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom managed to hold fine. Incredibles should come close to $600 million and Jurassic World should come close to $400 million.

The First Purge had the best 2nd weekend hold ever for the franchise! Which is quite solid for a horror prequel as well. With some bigger titles heading into the marketplace in the near future. Look for the first purge to execute around $60 million or so. 

Sorry To Bother You somehow doing fine. 

Other than no milestones thus far this weekend. Oceans 8 will make close to $140 million by the end of the summer. And hopefully Rampage makes $100 million in the actuals or the next weekend actuals. 

20 minutes ago, Barnack said:

When was the last time Johnson starring vehicule outright flopped domestic ?

Doom in 2005 ?

He did not had an RIPD/Warcraft/Valerian/King Arthur domestic outright flop in a very long time.

Doom, Rundown, and Walking Tall had all bombed in the last decade. 

Doom was the biggest dud. Rundown underperformed by falling short of its $85 million budget with close to $80 million worldwide.

Walking Tall made $46 million on $46 million domestic. And $57 million worldwide.

this(Skyscraper)is his biggest bomb yet.

2 hours ago, baumer said:

What's your prediction for MEG?

The only reason it will bomb, imo, is that they went full retard and gave it a 150 million budget.  If they would have been more reasonable and slapped a 75 mill pricetag on it, it would of had a much better chance for success.

WB does this every year it seems. They have over budget bombs like King Arthur, Jupiter Ascending,etc. I'm just glad it wasn't Ready Player One.

Edited by Heat Vision

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Ants have short legs.  It's tough to see Ant-Man go out like this.  I enjoyed it.  There probably won't be a 3rd now.  

I bet that Marvel will greenlight a third Ant-Man film, but they will Ragnarok the heck out of it (different tone, different [buzzy] director, the addition of a better known superhero in a supporting role [like Hulk], the inclusion of an obscure yet cool superhero (for fanservice) played by some exciting upcomer [like Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie], etc)

Just now, StevenG said:

I bet that Marvel will greenlight a third Ant-Man film, but they will Ragnarok the heck out of it (different tone, different [buzzy] director, the addition of a better known superhero in a supporting role [like Hulk], the inclusion of an obscure yet cool superhero (for fanservice) played by some exciting upcomer [like Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie], etc)

Thor is a major Marvel character, hence why there was a Ragnarok. Ant-Man is not and Marvel is wasting their time and money with it. If they are savvy, there won't be a 3rd Ant-Man movie. 

Just now, StevenG said:

I hope not.  I don't want Ant-Man to be "Stark'd" either.  I love the cast.  They aren't great movies but they're really fun and I'd say maybe the most reliable outside of Captain America franchise.  I wouldn't want any drastic changes to it. 

For the record,  I liked Ragnorak well enough but I didn't really care for the first two Thors to begin with because of the earth stuff.  If Natalie Portman would have been written out it would have made those movies a hundred times better. 

8 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Thor is a major Marvel character, hence why there was a Ragnarok. Ant-Man is not and Marvel is wasting their time and money with it. If they are savvy, there won't be a 3rd Ant-Man movie. 

Thor was a nobody.

Let's not pretend that Thor was an iconic A-lister like Spidey, Wonder Woman, or Batman, when the MCU started.

And his two first films were as "well-received" as Ant-Man 2.

But just like Marvel nurtured him into a big movie property, they are doing the same with AM.

And believe me, they will do a third, and most likely shoehorn Spider-Man in it, and feature some cool female character ala Valkyrie in it just for fanservice.

I think the OS numbers are more than strong enough to justify a third AMatW (jesus that's an ugly acronym). It's on the low side for Marvel Studios, but it's still pumping out a solid 600M at the least. Most studios would kill for a franchise like that. Hell, Paramount does try to kill Tom Cruise all the time for those kinds of numbers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

They should stop with 3 HT movies and I say that as someone who likes the movies.

Quit while they are ahead instead of it turning into another Ice Age.

I don't understand why they should stop?

If kids still love the movie you keep making them to make more money.