Eric Prime

Weekend Thread: Equalizer 2 pulls off an upset win over Mamma Mia 2 - 35.83M to 34.44M

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Well, people can naturally age at different rates...and some people choose to dye their hair and get cosmetically refreshed. Nothing wrong with that, even normies get work done. But if you keep living, eventually, you can't carry off pretending that you're still 35. Will be interesting to see where Cruise's career goes when he hits that phase. 

I think Cruise probably could do action films until he hits his 60s but while I think he looks great for his age, the aging is more noticeable than it was say when he was in his early 50s. 

I don't think Cruise is the exception to what 50 somethings should look like. You look like actors who are similar in age to Cruise and they still look great. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I thought the increased theater count meant the extreme 1500% increase of fudge was coming for Monday actuals. Not the case though. Hmmm

43 (45) Black Panther Walt Disney $25,445 +84% 154 $165   $699,932,307 23

45 (68) The Greatest Showman 20th Century Fox $15,197 +583% 95 $160   $174,328,701 31

I guess they can try and drag it out as long as Fox with TGS.   :lol:

3 minutes ago, KP1025 said:
28 (37) Rampage Warner Bros. $125,048 +129% 114 $1,097   $99,278,002 15
43 (45) Black Panther Walt Disney $25,445 +84% 154 $165   $699,932,307 23

Rampage had more success with its theater expansion this past weekend. Really low PTA for Black Panther, second lowest after The Greatest Showman ($160 PTA).

If I recall correctly from the tracking thread, BP’s new theaters basically have 1 showtime per day, which is going to lead to a much lower PTA than even having half a screen.          

The play seems to be more for a few full weeks of stuff trickling in than one big weekend push, though I’m sure they would have preferred to make more money this weekend.

• Like 2

Wondering if AIW is even going to get a  2nd theater bump before it comes on on BR.   If so it needs to happen next weekend. 

It's PTA is solid enough it could have easily hit $680m (even w/o a Labor Day expansion) but  media/BR  release will probably kill it like BP.

20 (16) Avengers: Infinity War Walt Disney $425,466 -32% 294 $1,447   $676,858,988 13

Not bad increases! 

Equalizer 2 will definitely hold up better than its predecessor in its dailies and may still gross on-par with its predecessor as well. And plus on a positive note, the sequel actually improved in the actuals on its opening weekend, while the first one did not.

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! Proving that despite a 10-year hiatus, it proved the sequel was worth it. Since it was  $7.2 million ahead of its predecessor, and is the top three best debuts for a musical right behind Beauty & The Beast and  High School Musical 3. So the film should do $115-$120 million domestic. 

Everyrhing else was pretty damn good! 

7 hours ago, baumer said:

Here's a funny story...not quite smoke signals, but back before DL and twitter and RTH and Empire, we had no way of tracking films on their opening night.  There was a user named Xiayun and he was maybe the best predictor and derby player we had, one of the best I've ever seen.  There was some website he used that had live updates of what people were saying about a movie on opening night.  It wasn't imdb and obviously not twitter because it had n't been invented yet.  He somehow found a way to correlate user comments with the Friday number and more times than not he was within 10% of the number.  We used to sit around the forums on mojo and wait for him to live update us.  It was fascinating how he figured it out.

I miss that guy.

Xia was definitely the man when it came to the original Derby.  Too bad he mainly posted on WoKJ instead of Mojo.  A lot of people missed his insight on all things boxoffice related. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

The Journey of BP hitting $700M seems like a slow turtle-crawl.

BP got its $1 theater expansion this past weekend.  If Disney really wanted to get over the $700m plateau, they should have done that expansion before the home video release.   

Very happy for Denzel, WOM was spreading fast about Sequelizer over the weekend.   As for "Mamma Mia 2", I still think Ladies came out strong but that was in interesting drop from estimates going from 39-40 down to 34.    So yeah, there was some frontloadness from Previews and Friday Night.  So I don't see it outgross the first film were as Sequelizer has a chance to take out the it's first film and had a good audience balance over the weekend.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

BP got its $1 theater expansion this past weekend.  If Disney really wanted to get over the $700m plateau, they should have done that expansion before the home video release.   

Which was two months ago.

It’s those 2nd run theatres for Greatest Showman and Black Panther. Fox is wanting to do that Hidden Figures 2.0 performance once again. Black Panther, well Disney is just juicing all they can, just because. 

9 hours ago, baumer said:

Here's a funny story...not quite smoke signals, but back before DL and twitter and RTH and Empire, we had no way of tracking films on their opening night.  There was a user named Xiayun and he was maybe the best predictor and derby player we had, one of the best I've ever seen.  There was some website he used that had live updates of what people were saying about a movie on opening night.  It wasn't imdb and obviously not twitter because it had n't been invented yet.  He somehow found a way to correlate user comments with the Friday number and more times than not he was within 10% of the number.  We used to sit around the forums on mojo and wait for him to live update us.  It was fascinating how he figured it out.

I miss that guy.

Didn't he use Yahoo Movies?  That used to be great resource.