Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Equalizer 2 pulls off an upset win over Mamma Mia 2 - 35.83M to 34.44M

If it follows Soldado:

11.6M (3.75x previews)

9.6M (-17%)

8.3M (-14%)

29.5M Weekend

WOM is significantly better than that, so it should get over 30M with ease. The first did 8.33x previews in September, so even with the 4 PM summer start, I think it could hit 4.5x

Equalizer 2 is looking to be this year's Kingsman 2: flat opening, weaker legs and lower total (Mission: Impossible will hit hard next week). Still, $80M or so makes it another win for Denzel, especially when I doubt this cost more than the first.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I wnted moooore :P 

Previews started at 7 though, don't forget that guys. 

The first show at my theater was 6:35. IDK if other theaters started earlier like mine; I didn't notice any other AMCs in Central Florida doing that

• Like 1

Just now, La Binoche said:

Seems kind of mediocre for MM.  I wonder if the lack of Streep hurts it.  Then again, idk the Thursday moviegoing habits of women over 50 so maybe this number isn't telling. 

If it follows Book Club at my theater today, it'll make 33.3M for the weekend. Seniors flock to this theater, so the demos match :lol: 

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

IT'S GO TIME

4pm showtimes?

When are we/industry  just going to officially say films are opening on Thursday now to start the weekend?

It's like how Black Friday is now all spread out into a Black Friday Week with deals to be had on the Tue/Wed before Thanksgiving in some locations. 

• Like 3

Just now, Curtis1986 said:

Pre-sales indicated a blowout for Mamma Mia. But it's looking more to be like a two to three million dollar difference. I guess the equalizer is more of a walk-up film.

I don't know why people didn't expect Mamma Mia to be presales based. This is exactly the type of movie groups plan in advance for. I mean shit, tickets went on sale super early.

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don't know why people didn't expect Mamma Mia to be presales based. This is exactly the type of movie groups plan in advance for. I mean shit, tickets went on sale super early.

To be fair, a lot of the sales are for the actual weekend. Heck, the show I'm seeing tomorrow is already over half full.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2