Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Equalizer 2 pulls off an upset win over Mamma Mia 2 - 35.83M to 34.44M

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Btw, with the Academy's bizarre obsession with Daldry, expect Wicked to sweep the Oscars if it does end up a massive commercial success. 

Doubt it, the stage musical only got mixed reviews so I expect the film version will have similar reviews unless they make major changes. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jonwo said:

Doubt it, the stage musical only got mixed reviews so I expect the film version will have similar reviews unless they make major changes. 

You think critical reception matters to the Academy when it comes to Daldry? :hahaha:

32 minutes ago, Barnack said:

For a sequel of one of the most beloved movie around the world of the 2000s that made 186m adjusted for ticket price, it could surprise and leg outs, but 40m OW is not in the high end of the possible for it imo, 55m would have not even surprised me.

40m would probably head up for doing less than the 2008 movie did with a 168m in 2018 dollar.

Nah.

40 million dollar is a fantastic number for a musical starring a bunch of nobodies and released 10 years after the original, which, as beloved as it was, was never in need of a sequel. Who the hell was clamoring for a sequel anyway? The first film was a once-and-done story that closed the book on Donna's tale. Heck, everyone I know who loved the first film still was shocked they made a sequel.

Let's not sugarcoat it. People had forgotten about the original film, and sequel announcement was received with a resounding 'meh' bymany people (this board included); the only reason this sequel suddenly had people predicting huge OW numbers was that it got surprisingly solid reviews.

40 million is an amazing numbers all things considered.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Let's not sugarcoat it. People had forgotten about the original film, and sequel announcement was received with a resounding 'meh' bymany people (this board included); the only reason this sequel suddenly had people predicting huge OW numbers was that it got surprisingly solid reviews.

This board is a terrible place to talk about a movie like this, I am sure people that never goes to the movie talked about it when the sequel was announced and was one of the least forgetting movies of the 2000s.

43 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Nah.

40 million dollar is a fantastic number for a musical starring a bunch of nobodies and released 10 years after the original, which, as beloved as it was, was never in need of a sequel. Who the hell was clamoring for a sequel anyway? The first film was a once-and-done story that closed the book on Donna's tale. Heck, everyone I know who loved the first film still was shocked they made a sequel.

I was actually expecting $40-45M before the surprisingly good reviews came in. You'd be surprised by how many middle-aged/older women I've met who really love the original movie lol.

3 minutes ago, Frozen said:

That Skyscraper drop is WOW. 

Trade talked about 18m for Rampage second weekend and it made 20m, there was talk of 19-23m during Skyscraper first friday and it ended up doing 24.9, I could imagine the same happening here. Because that drop for a non sequel, that had low preview numbers and an ok cinemascore would be quite something, would show that Johnson turned itself and the signature Johnson movie so much into a franchise that they are starting to play like a franchise (with a very large fanbase the first weekend and big drops).

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, StevenG said:

Nah.

Cher is a nobody??

Outrageous. 

Mamma Mia is one of the top 10 biggest films of all time here in the U.K and the biggest selling DVD in history, so I’m guessing you were meaning America only. 

IMO 40M or close to that is very good for Mamma Mia 2 (above all predictions and I also wouldn't say it's with nobodies, not at all, but I don't know how much of a draw parts of the cast still are in the USA). And yes, I hoped for a little bit more for The Equalizer 2, but being realistic, an over 30M weekend for this sequel is a very good result and also better than most box office predictions I saw in the last days. Boxoffice.com e.g. also predicted „only“ 26M and than a few days before the release they lifted their prediction to 28.5M. So no reason to worry at all.

When it comes to Skyscraper, if that number holds that's really a let down but also not surprising. I liked the trailer but e.g. San Andreas disappointed me a lot in its boringness (you absolutely knew who will surely survive) and that movie is the reason why I don't consider watching Skyscraper in theaters. Maybe I'm not the only one. And I like it that Equalizer with its R-Rating starts higher. Of course M: I 6 will be a big problem next week and I also don't know why they scheduled it like that. At least WW The Equalizer is often released after M: I 6. 
By the way, I doubt that many of the votes are real but at the moment M: I 6 is at 9.4/10 at imdb. That's the highest rating I ever saw before a film started somewhere ;).

Edited by el sid
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StevenG said:

Nah.

40 million dollar is a fantastic number for a musical starring a bunch of nobodies

Yeah, the film features three performers who have all won an Oscar for a leading role and it also includes an actor who racked up a string of $100M grossers while portraying one of the most iconic characters in movie history. But sure, the movie stars a bunch of nobodies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Blankments IT'S GO TIME for some trailer stalkers:

11:

Mission: Impossible – Fallout (Black Panther, Annihilation, A Quiet Place, Avengers: Infinity War, Ready Player One, Breaking In, Upgrade, Hereditary, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Skyscraper)

6:

Alpha (Hitman’s Bodyguard, Geostorm, Thor: Ragnarok, Downsizing, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Isle of Dogs)

The Darkest Minds (A Quiet Place, Ready Player One, Blockers, Breaking In, Upgrade, Hereditary)

5:

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (The Greatest Showman, The Post, Love, Simon, Breaking In, Ocean’s 😎

The Meg (Upgrade, Hereditary, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Skyscraper)

4:

Venom (Black Panther, Game Night, Blockers, Deadpool 2)

3:

BlacKkKlansman (Upgrade, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Skyscraper)

Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch (Isle of Dogs, Incredibles 2, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom)

The Equalizer 2 (Solo: A Star Wars Story, The First Purge, Sicario: Day of the Soldado)

Kin (Hereditary, The First Purge, Sicario: Day of the Soldado)

Night School (Blockers, Breaking In, Tag)

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (The Greatest Showman, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Skyscraper)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Love, Simon, Ready Player One, Deadpool 2)

2:

Alita: Battle Angel (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle)

Bumblebee (Incredibles 2, Ant-Man and the Wasp)

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Unsane, Isle of Dogs)

Creed II (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Skyscraper)

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Isle of Dogs, Avengers: Infinity War)

First Man (Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Skyscraper)

The Happytime Murders (Tag, The First Purge)

The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Ready Player One, Ant-Man and the Wasp)

Mortal Engines (The Commuter, Skyscraper)

The Nun (Tag, The First Purge)

Polaroid (Wind River, mother!)

The Predator (The First Purge, Sicario: Day of the Soldado)

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Ready Player One, Tag)

A Star Is Born (Ocean’s 8, Sicario: Day of the Soldado)

Unfriended: Dark Web (Upgrade, The First Purge)

1:

Spoiler

A.X.L. (Ant-Man and the Wasp)

Bohemian Rhapsody (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom)

The Current War (Wind River)

Dog Days (Incredibles 2)

Eighth Grade (Isle of Dogs)

The Girl in the Spider’s Web (Ocean’s 😎

Halloween (The First Purge)

The Hate U Give (Skyscraper)

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Incredibles 2)

The Little Stranger (Hereditary)

Mile 22 (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom)

The New Mutants (Thor: Ragnarok)

Nobody’s Fool (The First Purge)

Peppermint (Ocean’s 😎

Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 (Incredibles 2)

Searching (Hereditary)

Serenity (Tag)

Smallfoot (Coco)

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (Rampage)

White Boy Rick (Sicario: Day of the Soldado)

Widows (Ocean’s 😎

• Like 1

I do wonder how well the ploy to bring Cher on board is what really paid off for Mamma Mia 2, like they fully considered "how do ensure that women over 50 and gay men will want to see this? Do that!" when they first announced a sequel was coming over a year ago. My mom is excited as hell to see the movie almost entirely because of her lmfao, plus the trailer always got a lot of chatter every time I saw it at the movies whenever she appeared at the end of it.