Eric the Ape

Weekend Thread: Equalizer 2 pulls off an upset win over Mamma Mia 2 - 35.83M to 34.44M

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I do wonder how well the ploy to bring Cher on board is what really paid off for Mamma Mia 2, like they fully considered "how do ensure that women over 50 and gay men will want to see this? Do that!" when they first announced a sequel was coming over a year ago. My mom is excited as hell to see the movie almost entirely because of her lmfao, plus the trailer always got a lot of chatter every time I saw it at the movies whenever she appeared at the end of it.

I think Cher was a huge help otherwise I don't think interest would have been nearly as high. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StevenG said:

Nah.

40 million dollar is a fantastic number for a musical starring a bunch of nobodies and released 10 years after the original, which, as beloved as it was, was never in need of a sequel. Who the hell was clamoring for a sequel anyway? The first film was a once-and-done story that closed the book on Donna's tale. Heck, everyone I know who loved the first film still was shocked they made a sequel.

Let's not sugarcoat it. People had forgotten about the original film, and sequel announcement was received with a resounding 'meh' bymany people (this board included); the only reason this sequel suddenly had people predicting huge OW numbers was that it got surprisingly solid reviews.

40 million is an amazing numbers all things considered.

I mean, they still have Meryl on the poster and on the soundtrack. 

51 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Until 6 hours ago, Disney was the smartest studio of the big six, now I would argue it s Universal.

idk they've both had some pretty damaging news today. disney with this james gunn business and universal with this tom hooper/james corden Cats.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Until 6 hours ago, Disney was the smartest studio of the big six, now I would argue it s Universal.

I still think they know something HUGE about Gunn. Something we don’t know. Today was a massive overreaction. I’ve been talking with a friend of mine in PR and she thinks the whole thing could’ve been avoided with a long and detailed apology. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, AJG said:

I still think they know something HUGE about Gunn. Something we don’t know. Today was a massive overreaction. I’ve been talking with a friend of mine in PR and she thinks the whole thing could’ve been avoided with a long and detailed apology. 

I feel the same (at least was my first impression), maybe not know but suspect something bigger than just tweets, because Guardian of the Galaxy 3 release is in 2020, this is so many news circle away for something so little that if I understand stopped before the release of Gotg 1 and was never under being a face of Disney.

Or, they had a long fight with him about stopping is divisive twitter activities, maybe was even going against it's contract and they were already angry at him/disliking him and that was just what pushed it over the edge.

That said, when people pointed out the Disney could have simply been in a: We really don't want to have a they fired Rosanne the good friend of the president but not the anti-Trump director narrative over their head going into one of the biggest corporate transaction in history that need the federal government approval situation, that did made sense also. If they Lasseter him back into Marvel after the transaction is all well done and nothing else come up, we could suspect that it was only that.

Edited by Barnack

I was actually wondering that too if Disney suits were asking to their high profile talent to cool down a bit on Trump war and hate.

Gunn was getting crazy lately it seems.

From what I understand, Gunn's tweets were dug up by an alt right guy he was fighting on Twitter a few days ago.

• Disbelief 1

What a day this was :

1. James Gunn making great jokes.

2. Tom Hooper has a new project that will give QT blue balls, last time it was Fincher.

3. Fench president/King/Emperor Macron is involved in a crazy story with his personal bodyguard who was able to do all sorts of crazy shit like impersonating the police in protests to beat up random protesters for fun.

Macron protected him, some video footage was erased but other videos emerged and plenty of stories are emerging on the bodyguard at every hour.

It gets crazier, everybody in the french government is so embarrassed/petrified by this that nobody is talking, all the high people of french government have been mute for two days.

This is some House of Cards shit, I may lack pop corn this week-end.

Oh ... and those rumors, those rumors ...

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

I feel the same (at least was my first impression), maybe not know but suspect something bigger than just tweets, because Guardian of the Galaxy 3 release is in 2020, this is so many news circle away for something so little that if I understand stopped before the release of Gotg 1 and was never under being a face of Disney.

Or, they had a long fight with him about stopping is divisive twitter activities, maybe was even going against it's contract and they were already angry at him/disliking him and that was just what pushed it over the edge.

That said, when people pointed out the Disney could have simply been in a: We really don't want to have a they fired Rosanne the good friend of the president but not the anti-Trump director narrative over their head going into one of the biggest corporate transaction in history that need the federal government approval situation, that did made sense also. If they Lasseter him back into Marvel after the transaction is all well done and nothing else come up, we could suspect that it was only that.

Yeah, there could be some dark shit that Disney knows about Gunn and they're using these old tweets to get rid of him now before something comes out that really blows things up.