That One Girl

Midsommar | July 3, 2019 | Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, Will Poulter | A24 | Ari Aster (Hereditary) directing

On 7/23/2019 at 7:14 PM, RealLyre said:

loved this a lot. not as scary as Hereditary but its more unsettling with a satisfying conclusion. The cinematography is breathtaking, every shot is immaculately composited and the color scheme that goes brighter as the movie goes on emphasising Dani's journey from grief to isolation,break-up and then finally finding peace with herself. The surreal imagery is fascinating. Florence Pugh is superlatively mesmerizing. she stole every scene she was in, Ari Aster knows how to direct the hell out of his actors (as with Toni Collette in Hereditary). as usual with Aster, Midsommar is thematically disturbing. I loved the thematic underlying story that is of a woman seeking people that actually love her after being constantly dismissed and gaslit by her boyfriend (and others) after going through a tragedy is very powerful and touching. 

Ari Aster is quickly becoming one of my fav go to directors and I can't wait to see what he's up to next.

I have not seen that many movies this year (only about 25 or 26 with this one) but Florence Pugh's performance is by far the greatest followed by Lupita Nyong'o in Us and I'm pretty sure they will be overlooked at award season because the academy doesn't reward dramatic performances in horror movies. I hope I'm wrong though cus they both deserve a best actress nomination.

'

Do not worry about Pugh . people who where at the early screenings for little women are calling her MVP and a lock for best supporting actress nomination

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Julian1410 said:

Do not worry about Pugh . people who where at the early screenings for little women are calling her MVP and a lock for best supporting actress nomination

Little Women oscars? Isn't little women trash soapy comedy rubbish?

• ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

no.

thanks.

Just read about it. Did not realise it was actual classic literature.

I only remember it from an episode of Friends so assumed it was trash. My bad.

• Like 1

Little woman won't be a serious oscar contender. I mean really? It's like a star is born but worst, everyone thought it was the new la la land and it won only for the song and even didn't get the nominee for best director.  Maybe only someone of the cast can get something, that's all. 

Edited by maxalcamo

3 minutes ago, maxalcamo said:

Little woman won't be a serious oscar contender. I mean really? It's like a star is born but worst, everyone thought it was the new la la land and it won only for the song and even didn't get the nominee for best director.  Maybe only someone of the cast can get something, that's all. 

saoirse ronan and greta gerwig worked last time.

9 hours ago, maxalcamo said:

so? still the 78th film/tv version of a story... i can't really see as an oscar contender. The only thing it can be is an harmless well crafted movie. 

You really don't think Little Women will get Oscar attention? I'd be shocked....

On that note, I really do hope Pugh gets consideration. I'm doubtful though. Collette didn't get any last year and I thought she was even better in Hereditary.

florence pugh is fantastic and no doubt she'll be smothered in awards for something in the next few years. to go from a nobody, breakthrough role in April 2019, to full on movie star in May 2020.

So pleased for her.

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

florence pugh is fantastic and no doubt she'll be smothered in awards for something in the next few years. to go from a nobody, breakthrough role in April 2019, to full on movie star in May 2020.

So pleased for her.

Maybe it's a bit early to say, but I feel like she's my new favourite actress. Extremely talented and stunningly beautiful. I read an article that she was asked to lose weight and get really skinny and she flat out refused. Makes her 10 times more attractive!

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Maybe it's a bit early to say, but I feel like she's my new favourite actress. Extremely talented and stunningly beautiful. I read an article that she was asked to lose weight and get really skinny and she flat out refused. Makes her 10 times more attractive!

yes i would have to agree one of my new favourite actors. Can't think of a more favouritey one off the top of my head but she's definitely up there.

Pretty much any “prestige” film released in Q4 will receive attention from the Academy. Not necessarily a nomination, but it will be looked at and decently in the running (remember Denzel for Roman Israel?). Anything earlier needs to have made a significant impact (ie. Black Panther, Get Out, BlacKkKlansman), otherwise it typically gets overlooked in favor of the films that are right in their faces.

Edited by nick64
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 5:32 AM, Julian1410 said:

I seriously doubt she will get a nomination.  Horror films don't produce that many award nominees.

7 hours ago, baumer said:

I seriously doubt she will get a nomination.  Horror films don't produce that many award nominees.

Which is a travestry since  the genre is full of iconic and fantastic performances.

If I were from a certain political spectrum, I d argue it s systemic oppression.

• Like 1