That One Girl

Midsommar | July 3, 2019 | Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, Will Poulter | A24 | Ari Aster (Hereditary) directing

16 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

I just came out of this. What in the hell did i just watch. Expect an F score. Noway that PostTrack score is right from Deadline. Must have only asked Aster fanboys for sure. At the exits people said this movie was just pure garbage of nothingness. Hereditary was a movie you could relate to and was a horror movie. This was more and art movie. Yikes!!

Given the PostTrak score and the fact it's at 70% RT audience score right now, I doubt it gets an F. You say they "must have only asked Aster fanboys" but I think Hereditary was effective enough at weeding out the weak that the opening night audience was mostly people who are a fan of Aster since people who disliked Hereditary are probably staying away for now.

37 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

This was more and art movie. Yikes!!

Reacting to finding out a movie is an art film with a "yikes" is a mood I won't partake in.

Edited by Lucas
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I don't know, man. May not love it but big fan stuff like this. Hopefully it's as depraved as Sion Sono's Cold Fish.

Since i loved Hereditary i expected to like this. But that was seriously not the case. Its just a stupid weird movie. Hereditary was demonic witch movie with some terrifying scenes. This was just an embarrassment.

1 hour ago, Davidwested said:

I just came out of this. What in the hell did i just watch. Expect an F score. Noway that PostTrack score is right from Deadline. Must have only asked Aster fanboys for sure. At the exits people said this movie was just pure garbage of nothingness. Hereditary was a movie you could relate to and was a horror movie. This was more and art movie. Yikes!!

I'm not sure, but usually movies are pooled for midnights and the day after. I mean, most of the movies get released on Thursdays, and we usually got the CinemaScore on Saturdays.  Someone correct me, please, If I'm wrong.

Like someone said, whoever hated Hereditary, won't be back to see Midsommar. So yeah, mostly fans of Aster will be watching this one. If this one is getting 3 stars, that's not good, given how usually midnights are more fan driven. So, Aster's fans aren't exactly loving Midsommar.

Loved Hereditary, probably my favourite horror film of recent years, but having just watched Midsommar, I’m really not sure how I feel about it. It’s supremely weird, and I mean that positively and negatively at the same time. It’s one that you probably need to let sink in a bit before coming to a judgement. Florence Pugh is fantastic though, and the cinematography and direction are both stunning.

I’ve seen reviews say it’s more accessible than Hereditary, but I strongly disagree, I cannot imagine this going over well with general audiences at all.

Edited by SnokesLegs

So it sounds like, objectively (if you can even judge movies so), the film is good (ie. good direction, cinematography etc.). However, the material is definitely not for everyone. That's pretty much what I expected. These movies aren't crowd pleasers.

Making the journey to the other end of town tomorrow to see it. I'll admit, I'm kinda nervous about how fucked up this is going to make me feel lol.

• Like 1

Yeah an "art" movie is definitely not more accessible than Hereditary. 80% of people I know liked Hereditary. I'm sure this will be more polarising, but if this really did 1.1M previews with mostly "Aster fans" that says a lot about him as a director. He's made one movie before this. Definitely a director to watch. 

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Loved Hereditary, probably my favourite horror film of recent years, but having just watched Midsommar, I’m really not sure how I feel about it. It’s supremely weird, and I mean that positively and negatively at the same time. It’s one that you probably need to let sink in a bit before coming to a judgement. Florence Pugh is fantastic though, and the cinematography and direction are both stunning.

I’ve seen reviews say it’s more accessible than Hereditary, but I strongly disagree, I cannot imagine this going over well with general audiences at all.

We very much agree on all this. This will get an F cinemascore unless they only as Aster fans.

17 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

We very much agree on all this. This will get an F cinemascore unless they only as Aster fans.

It all depends on when it's getting polled.

Official Release Date is June 3rd, but there were screenings on 2nd. I don't know if CinemaScore takes into account only the midnights or both midnights and the following day. If so, perhaps today's audiences won't be so forgiving.

Edited by Blaze Heatnix

This was nuts. It's not mainstream-friendly at all, but I feel like the trailers established that point pretty clearly so I'm not expecting it to draw in many viewers expecting something more conventional in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

RT verified audience score is up to 72%. It's only been rising, having started out in the 50s. I see no reason it gets an F Cinemascore, it'll probably have a higher score than Hereditary's D+ as well. It definitely seems that the audience is less general audience and more Aster/A24/arthouse fans, while Hereditary and its marketing had much more broad initial appeal.

I love Hereditary, but I feel Midsommer is a big step down from its "predecessor" film. Not scary at all, and not really very disturbing either. Kinda' a let down, to be honest ... at least from my POV. Still worth a watch. The over-arching theme regarding co-dependence is a really good message. Florence Pugh's performance is grade A. As many have said, the direction, camera angles, and cinematography were impeccably shot.