sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

If I'm not mistaken, they didn't release a single 100M+ budgeted movie all summer. Even The Meg is a Chinese co-produced movie where their investment is probably less than 75M.

I'm guessing producing so many $100M+ flops within the past three years or so made them change their approach and go more conservative in their budgeting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curtis1986 said:

so how would the med be any different than skyscraper. They pretty much got the same reviews and around the same production budget. As a matter of fact I think the megas 25 million dollars

Any different in what way?  Can you clarify a bit?

2 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

so how would the meg be any different than skyscraper. They pretty much got the same reviews and around the same production budget. As a matter of fact I think the megas 25 million dollars

It's getting 45% of China box office back as opposed to Skyscraper which only got 25% back.

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

If I'm not mistaken, they didn't release a single 100M+ budgeted movie all summer. Even The Meg is a Chinese co-produced movie where their investment is probably less than 75M.

That’s impressive and all of them will be either be profitable or break even.

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

It's getting 45% of China box office back as opposed to Skyscraper which only got 25% back.

Is it 45%?  I thought it was closer to 50.?

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm guessing producing so many $100M+ flops within the past three years or so made them change their approach and go more conservative in their budgeting.

Toby Emmerich being in charge in a way has brought New Line sensibility to WB. 

• Like 1

Well, even if it only makes 100 million in China, with a stronger than anticipated domestic take, it should be at least break even for the studio.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

GraceRandolph tweeting that $4m previews means $50-60m opening weekend.

She’s in the wrong job. 

50 mill onl;y happens if it (obviously) isn't very front loaded.  60 mill means she had a party with Pablo Escobar last night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

A multiplier similar to Kong: Skull Island gets it to 66M. Just saying.

K:SI had 3,7M Prev/ 61M OW.

But again, this is summer, so the multiplier won't be that high.  I think O8 might be a good one to use.

• Like 1

Runtimes without credits and trailer attachments for next week's releases:

Crazy Rich Asians: 1:56. Attachments unknown (probably A Star Is Born and Fantastic Beasts)

Alpha: 1:31. Attachments unknown (probably Goosebumps and Spider-Verse)

Mile 22: 1:27. Attachments are The Happytime Murders and Second Act.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

But again, this is summer, so the multiplier won't be that high.  I think O8 might be a good one to use.

Damn it i want to be as optimistic as possible :lol: but srsly, anything over 30M is a big win in my book for this film.

• Like 1