sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

I laughed out loud when they acknowledged The Incredible Hulk’s existence.

I squeal/gasped at the thought of Chris Evans emerging from that pod in IMAX. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Box Long Range posted for the weekend of Venom!

Venom: $40M opening/$85M total

A Star is Born: $30M opening/$117M total

https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-tracking-star-born-venom/

Guess they're betting on Venom being a very bad movie like everyone else is.

Low balling Venom. Venom has much more going for it to open about the same as The Meg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Box Long Range posted for the weekend of Venom!

Venom: $40M opening

Jvoknab.gif

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Guess they're betting on Venom being a very bad movie like everyone else is.

yes, but it doesn't hurt OW too much. It's more about multiplier (as I've said many times).

20 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

In the end oddly similar to MM:FR in budget and B.O.

Fury Road had a troubled production so I imagine WB was expecting to take a hit on it but it ended doing better than expected. 

24 minutes ago, a2k said:

Tarzan barely doubled it's prod budget (180) globally (356). It didn't become one of those bombs that people were fearing it would be (Pan, John Carter, Tomorrowland, or King Arthur a year after Tarzan) and saved face by surprising. A still big prod budget of 140 odd would have been great but they overspent. Doubt if it broke even.

They definetly overspent on LoT. RPO this year cost $5m less but you can see every penny on screen. 

• Like 2

Nice start for Meg, though I disagree about 100 being any safe bet yet. We'll see how frontloaded it is. I don't suspect it would hit 100 even with a 40m OW. Either way, this is definitely the biggest shark movie since Deep Blue Sea. If they had gotten control of the budget to something fitting, WB could have had a huge success here. 

Meg's aud score on RT is rotten at 59%. Did not expect that so early into the release. And expected the critic's score to be lesser than 51%.

Edited by a2k

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Nice start for Meg, though I disagree about 100 being any safe bet yet. We'll see how frontloaded it is. I don't suspect it would hit 100 even with a 40m OW. Either way, this is definitely the biggest shark movie since Deep Blue Sea. If they had gotten control of the budget to something fitting, WB could have had a huge success here. 

This is a production mostly made for China (a Chinese studio even put up most of the budget). The fact it won't completely flop here is a miracle on its own.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Should hit $100M with $40M OW considering no competition from the rest of August and Labor Day weekend.