sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

it certainly wasn't the high concept or great script or good reviews

We're talking about "star power" which have to sold movie regardless good reviews (and we all know that good reviews and high concept isn't equal great BO results, it has much more different components in a formula). And what I see:  63 mln "Boss" and 52 mln LoP. And big doubts about decent Happy Time Murder results.

Sold? Not at all.

• ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Imagine if The Meg manages to have a higher OW than Ocean’s 8 and RPO. 

In a way, The Meg is 2018’s The Legend of Tarzan, a movie everyone wrote off but ended up being a modest hit 

Tarzan barely doubled it's prod budget (180) globally (356). It didn't become one of those bombs that people were fearing it would be (Pan, John Carter, Tomorrowland, or King Arthur a year after Tarzan) and saved face by surprising. A still big prod budget of 140 odd would have been great but they overspent. Doubt if it broke even.

57 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Blake Lively, Mandy Moore, and Jason Statham is already a very unique roster of actors to star in The Sharkvengers.

Kind of wondering when we get to A.X.L. fighting MEG.

BTW A.X.L just seems like a remake of C.H.O.M.P.S

Just now, a2k said:

Tarzan barely doubled it's prod budget (180) globally (356). It didn't become one of those bombs that people were fearing it would be (Pan, John Carter, Tomorrowland, or King Arthur a year after Tarzan) and saved face by surprising. A still big prod budget of 140 odd would have been great but they overspent. Doubt if it broke even.

In the end oddly similar to MM:FR in budget and B.O.

21 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Imagine if The Meg manages to have a higher OW than Ocean’s 8 and RPO. 

In a way, The Meg is 2018’s The Legend of Tarzan, a movie everyone wrote off but ended up being a modest hit 

Legend Of Tarzan was considered a dissappintment because WB wanted $400 million to be at their break-even point. Don’t get me wrong $126 million was a good domestic total but sadly it wasn’t a blockbuster sized hit.

The Meg if it does over $40 million ow, with decent legs and makes $100 million domestic or so, and it does $405 million WW I’d say WB would be satisfied. 

31 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

McCarthy is a bigger draw than anyone in TAG (combined) - the movie could have just been called McCarthy's latest Comedy and sold on that. 

I’ll say this again incase Life of the Party is streaming or whatever, but there’s three consecutive scenes about 2/3 of the way in that made me laugh out loud way more than any other film I’ve seen in the last year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

I think you mean glorious

I'll obviously still see it but it does feel like another Huntsman situation where it's like "could they not have gotten this particular group of really good actors for anything but this project?"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

We're talking about "star power" which have to sold movie regardless good reviews (and we all know that good reviews and high concept isn't equal great BO results, it has much more different components in a formula). And what I see:  63 mln "Boss" and 52 mln LoP. And big doubts about decent Happy Time Murder results.

Sold? Not at all.

Yeh she is a draw. Her box office is strong and she’s had a lot of $100m hits. 

7 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Legend Of Tarzan was considered a dissappintment because WB wanted $400 million to be at their break-even point. Don’t get me wrong $126 million was a good domestic total but sadly it wasn’t a blockbuster sized hit.

The Meg if it does over $40 million ow, with decent legs and makes $100 million domestic or so, and it does $405 million WW I’d say WB would be satisfied. 

I think considering (as per Deadline) WB only have a $52m stake in Meg’s production budget, they’d still be happy with much less.