sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

When I first watched The Meg's trailer online, I thought it looked pretty dumb. Then I kept getting it in theaters, and my hype started increasing. I'm really looking forward to seeing it hopefully sometime in the next week.

The trailers on this got better over time. The first one looked mediocre. Then, my impression is that its been fiddled with more frequently than with most movies. Instead of the usual 2 or 3-ish trailers, it feels like they've got 5-6 if not more. Last night, I saw a commercial for it, half of which was pitched as the swimming dog vs the shark and was really funny, but the tone and atmosphere are completely different from the initial trailer. Its not unheard of for a movie to really shift the tone they're shooting for (its horror! No, wait, its a dark comedy!). But usually its a jarring jump. Its not often you see this kind of granularity in the development of a film's marketing.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Might just be more than IMAX can handle

Greatest scene in cinematic history.  Opening Sequence of Touch of Evil? We’re Gonna Need a Bigger Boat from Jaws? Courtroom Scene from Legally Blonde? Killer Rabbit from Monty Python? Garbage compared to those abs. 😂😂😂

I am also so sad, because unless an IMAX theater in New England decides to join the party, there is no way I can attend any of them. I have been severely sick lately. My doctor would murder me if I road tripped to NYC for this. She told me I am suppose to stay inside and not do any strenuous physical activity. 😕

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So I'm going 2 play the lottery today. Found my numbers. Was scrolling BOF on mobile for whatever reason, and stumbled across this:

JrdC9wm.png

- It's 2:15 pm

- Mr. Glass 2

- Replying to a post 22 minutes

- "Just wait for Meg 2"/"2 Megs!"

- 2 Tucci heads (hate those)

- 2 Tucci reactions

- Stanley Tucci (2cci)

- I sent this to Water Bottle and he replied at 2:22 pm, seriously

- We can only assume my battery is at 2%

This is 2 much... @MrGlass2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 8
  • Disbelief 2

The Meg got BKB's seal of approval: https://disqus.com/home/discussion/bloodydisgusting/interview_director_jon_turteltaub_on_how_much_of_the_shark_you_can_expect_to_see_in_the_meg/#comment-4032349922

The movie's really good.. I saw it last night in IMAX 2D and it's well worth it..

(I suggest not reading his newest comments about James Gunn tho :sparta: )

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

So I'm going 2 play the lottery today. Found my numbers. Was scrolling BOF on mobile for whatever reason, and stumbled across this:

JrdC9wm.png

- It's 2:15 pm

- Mr. Glass 2

- Replying to a post 22 minutes

- "Just wait for Meg 2"/"2 Megs!"

- 2 Tucci heads (hate those)

- 2 Tucci reactions

- Stanley Tucci (2cci)

- I sent this to Water Bottle and he replied at 2:22 pm, seriously

- We can only assume my battery is at 2%

This is 2 much... @MrGlass2

I think you need to charge your phone

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

The Meg is expected to do now $36 million ow with a $15 million OD after matinees. That’s ok but hopefully it can improve to hopefully $16 million OD with $38-$40 million. I just want it to make $100 million total in the states that’s it. 

Disney’s Christopher Robin is eyeing a second weekend in 3rd place between $11M-$13M, -51%, for a 10-day on the high-end of $50.5M.

BlacKkKlansman from Focus Features is looking at $3.8M to $4M today, which includes Thursday previews of $670K, and an opening around $10M, which is OK for a feature that has a net production cost of $15M. There’s a chance that the Spike Lee-directed movie does more.

Screen Gems’ Slender Man is also looking at around $10M for the weekend after a Friday that’s bound toward $4M-$4.5M.

1 minute ago, Alli said:

ugh HUGE drop for MI F

Mission: Impossible – Fallout which is looking at a third weekend of $17M, -52% for a running total by Sunday of $159M.

It lost IMAX screens to The Meg this weekend. So it was going to get hurt this weekend, but $200 million will still happen.

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

Disney’s Christopher Robin is eyeing a second weekend in 3rd place between $11M-$13M, -51%, for a 10-day on the high-end of $50.5M.

BlacKkKlansman from Focus Features is looking at $3.8M to $4M today, which includes Thursday previews of $670K, and an opening around $10M, which is OK for a feature that has a net production cost of $15M. There’s a chance that the Spike Lee-directed movie does more.

Screen Gems’ Slender Man is also looking at around $10M for the weekend after a Friday that’s bound toward $4M-$4.5M.

That's a really good start for BlacKkKlansman. I'm just happy that it has at least avoided becoming another Detroit (which got pushed into 3K+ theaters and flopped miserably).

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

That's a really good start for BlacKkKlansman. I'm just happy that it has at least avoided becoming another Detroit (which got pushed into 3K+ theaters and flopped miserably).

Focus is better at marketing than Annapurna but also Detroit was far too bleak to be commercially successful. $10m OW on a $15m budget means it's going to be profitable for Universal even before OS 

• Like 1

Rooting for 4m Friday/11m+ weekend for Klansman. Focus would be wise to give it a few more hundred theaters next week, and with WOM and Labor Day approaching a $50m total is a possibility.

I doubt MI6 will crash like that but I never saw more than 20-21m for the weekend after the theater counts came in. 

• Like 2