movies!movies!

Cold Pursuit | Lionsgate | Feruary 8, 2019 | Liam Neeson, Laura Dern

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It will have about zero effect on Cold Pursuit, just like the Kevin Hart thing before The Upside.

Brian Singer movie is making $850m, The Upside was a Weinstein movie before being the Kevin Hart controversy and is doing very well like you said, Spotify most streamed song in 2018:

1. Drake
  2. Post Malone
  3. XXXTENTACION
  4. J Balvin
  5. Ed Sheeran*

If a Dog Purpose was a good world success despite it's target audience and the rumors about animal cruelty on set & video released timed with the movie opening, it is not unfair to suspect this will have very little effect true, specially considering how old Neeson movie audience is and world global.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It's more the fact that what he's said is being taken out of context is where I think the 'defense' is coming from. Also just the way people are talking about it like it was more a funny anecdote story he shared and not something he himself had felt guilt about. 

Nothing he said was taken out of context. There’s literally audio of him saying what he said. 

• Like 2

Just now, Nova said:

Nothing he said was taken out of context. There’s literally audio of him saying what he said. 

The way people are quoting him on twitter is definitely taking it out of context and stretching it. When I woke up yesterday I thought he hadn't said much in the way of apologies until I read the article.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Seriously, I'm at a loss for how people are perceiving this. It isn't an issue about race whatsoever. Yes, race issues concerning black people in America have been absolutely horrible and tragic, and they still are to very big extents in many ways. But this happened in Northern Ireland in the 1970s, a completely different cultural and historical context. I'm not saying race didn't have anything to do with what Neeson was thinking back then, as it most certainly did given the cultural context. But the point he is making is that anger blinds us to want to put a face to an unseen enemy, and given the climate of the area at the time, it was unfortunately easy to pin it on a black person. It would have been just as horrible if it had been "someone with dwarfism" or "someone with red hair" or "a French man", but given our current and historical cultural climate, we are more prone to focus on the issue of race rather than the issue of anger and violence that is really what is central to this story. 

Now, I'm not going off on this because I'm some "Neeson stan", or (and I hope nobody thinks this) "because I like racism". It would be the same story regardless of who told it. This isn't a matter of "one man decided he wanted to hurt a black person" but rather the real tragedy is "people are so easy to let their emotions get the best of them that they would be willing to harm another HUMAN BEING". And while I'm not in Neeson's head, I think this was the point he was trying to make rather than the point the headlines seem to be highlighting. 

Perfectly said. This is it, right here. But people are purposefully blind to the context. They just rush to make it about a race issue because that's what's in vogue right now. Not saying there aren't real racism issues going on right now, just that it seems like it's popular to pretend we're in the freaking 1950's again.

Liam Neeson was sharing an anecdote. A horrible one, yes, but an anecdote nevertheless. There is absolutely NO reason to crucify him NOW, as if he committed some racist act recently or is actually racist. This is ridiculous.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Perfectly said. This is it, right here. But people are purposefully blind to the context. They just rush to make it about a race issue because that's what's in vogue right now. Not saying there aren't real racism issues going on right now, just that it seems like it's popular to pretend we're in the freaking 1950's again.

Liam Neeson was sharing an anecdote. A horrible one, yes, but an anecdote nevertheless. There is absolutely NO reason to crucify him NOW, as if he committed some racist act recently or is actually racist. This is ridiculous.

I think it would be perfectly alright to condemn him for an act 40 years ago, if he didn't now understand that it was wrong (or if he actually committed it). For me, it isn't the fact that this was 40 years ago that helps his case in particular (although it does make it somewhat easier to 'defend' than if it was say yesterday) but simply it provides context for the time at which these thoughts occurred. 

A racist act is a racist act, no matter when you commit it. A racist thought is a racist thought no matter when you thought it. Just as bad and just as disgusting. 

And to anyone reading this, I'm not trying to condemn anyone who disagrees with me. I'm not trying to say that you're only saying/thinking what you are because "its what's popular to think". If you have firm beliefs and can stand by them, I respect that just as much as if you agreed with me. All I want is for people to consider the entire context of the story, not just the bits and pieces that more visibly apply to America/the world today. Racial problems are much more prominent and easy to identify than people dealing with anger and emotions, and that is why it is easy to identify the racial problems inherent in this story. But if you have considered that, and still disagree with me, that is totally okay :)

• Like 3

For the record, I’m not calling Liam a racist. I don’t know Liam personally to make that judgment. My whole argument from the get go is that his thought process when this event occurred was racist. And that it’s important to acknowledge that because there are people today who still think that way and they need to know that thinking that way is racist. And that’s not even taking into account the psychological aspects of it. If you want to harm someone innocent because of something someone else did, get help. Like immediately. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 6

Just now, Nova said:

For the record, I’m not calling Liam a racist. I don’t know Liam personally to make that judgment. My whole argument from the get go is that his thought process when this event occurred was racist. And that it’s important to acknowledge that because there are people today who still think that way and they need to know that thinking that way is racist. 

Oh yeah definitely. Liam Neeson himself said his thinking was racist. If anyone's saying it wasn't they're fooling themselves.

• Like 3

There's also the context of the times in Northern Ireland.  This is in the middle of The Troubles and he refers to that in the original interview.  There was tit for tat revenge violence between the Catholic and Protestant communities.  It was a violent time when violent acts of revenge was a common occurrence.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Oh yeah definitely. Liam Neeson himself said his thinking was racist. If anyone's saying it wasn't they're fooling themselves.

That’s all I meant btw from all my comments. I apologize if I came across differently 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Curtis1986 said:

The last big hit movie Liam had was non-stop back in 2014. Since then his box office revenue has been falling. So I doubt this controversy will effect cold pursuit much considering it probably won't make much anyway.

taken 3 was 2015. but yes you're right.

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

taken 3 was 2015. but yes you're right.

Forgot about taken 3 but even that meat less than Non-Stop and considerably less than the first two. Interesting that his R-rated films like run all night and the Walk Among the Tombstones don't seem to be big hits. I have no idea what went wrong with the commuter. On paper that should have been a big hit like Non-Stop.

3 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

Forgot about taken 3 but even that meat less than Non-Stop and considerably less than the first two.

Taken 3 was 100 millions bigger than the first one:

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year
1 Taken 2 Fox $376.1 $139.9 37.2% $236.3 62.8% 2012
2 Taken 3 Fox $326.5 $89.3 27.3% $237.2 72.7% 2015
3 Taken Fox $226.8 $145.0 63.9% $81.8 36.1% 2009
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Curtis1986 said:

Forgot about taken 3 but even that meat less than Non-Stop and considerably less than the first two. Interesting that his R-rated films like run all night and the Walk Among the Tombstones don't seem to be big hits. I have no idea what went wrong with the commuter. On paper that should have been a big hit like Non-Stop.

Idk, blame Lionsgate probably for screwing up marketing.

I had forgotten how well Non Stop did. Taken 3 did huge overseas though.

Wonder if he will be slowing down on his action films. Not sure what is after Cold Pursuit but he has done a few more serious films in the past couple of years - namely, Silence and A Monster Calls, even if he was in a supporting role in those films, as well as the Watergate film he starred in.

43 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

The last big hit movie Liam had was non-stop back in 2014. Since then his box office revenue has been falling. So I doubt this controversy will effect cold pursuit much considering it probably won't make much anyway.

The Commuter made 119 million worldwide and it was released last year. It's a hit for Neeson. 

1 hour ago, Nova said:

For the record, I’m not calling Liam a racist. I don’t know Liam personally to make that judgment. My whole argument from the get go is that his thought process when this event occurred was racist. And that it’s important to acknowledge that because there are people today who still think that way and they need to know that thinking that way is racist. And that’s not even taking into account the psychological aspects of it. If you want to harm someone innocent because of something someone else did, get help. Like immediately. 

Oh Nova I just want to follow up on your edit because your point is excellent and is imo an aspect of this I wish was getting more focus. The way that people respond to trauma and specifically in this case r*pe really needs to be addressed and looked at.

• Like 1