Jayhawk the Hutt

Knives Out | Nov 27 2019 | 18th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Amazon Prime June 12

We've got a perfect example of MetaCritic's weighted average that no one understands right now with this and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.

Both have 8 reviews so far and they look like this side by side:

Knives Out     ABDITN

100                100

91                  91

90                  90

80                  85

80                  83

75                  80

70                  70

60                  60

They start and end identical, the top and bottom score even came from the same publications, but in the middle it's clear ABDITN beats Knives Out just a bit, but Knives Out sits at an 81 while the former's at an 80

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lucas said:

We've got a perfect example of MetaCritic's weighted average that no one understands right now with this and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.

Knives Out     ABDITN

100                100

91                  91

90                  90

80                  85

80                  83

75                  80

70                  70

60                  60

They start and end identical, the top and bottom score even came from the same publications, but in the middle it's clear ABDITN beats Knives Out just a bit, but Knives Out sits at an 81 while the former's at an 80

Different publications hold different weight. Metacritic never discloses their algorithm.

RT in a sense is more honest because it is just a straight approval meter. But even then, it's up to RT which reviewers get on the platform, for example they've started putting dozens of fancentric blogs on there that count as reviews. 

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

Different publications hold different weight. Metacritic never discloses their algorithm.

I know this. This is just a perfect example of it and why it should be made clear by MC just how it works. There's gotta be quite a difference in the weighted average here considering ABDITN scores higher from nearly half of the reviews published, ties the rest, but still comes out under.

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I know this. This is just a perfect example of it and why it should be made clear by MC just how it works. There's gotta be quite a difference in the weighted average here considering ABDITN scores higher from nearly half of the reviews published, ties the rest, but still comes out under.

That and the scores for a lot of major publications (which are then more weighted) are assigned by MC - not by the reviewer and sometimes they look like they pulled a number out of a hat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I see. still different type of movie and younger cast like Chris and Jaden may attract younger audience than who would see only Neighborhood.

Yeah Knives Out will probably do better with young adults, but they’ll fight over the older adults. But honestly, there’s enough room for both movies to do very well. So I don’t think competition will really be a problem for either one.

32 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Knives Out     ABDITN

100                100

91                  91

90                  90

80                  85

80                  83

75                  80

70                  70

60                  60

Knives Out score fairs normally as its average is 80.75 rounded to 81. but ABDITN should be 82 

1 hour ago, sabrecmc said:

Isn't one of the characters a big Trump supporter and one not? I thought I read that somewhere. 

i was watching an interview with the cast and apparently 

Spoiler

the kid from It is playing some like some alt-right edgelord kid in this

• Like 1