Jayhawk the Hutt

Knives Out | Nov 27 2019 | 18th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Amazon Prime June 12

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Life is political

Particularly when both the US and the UK are going through a period of severe political crisis. A lot of people think the existence of democracy in both countries is at stake. When that happens Politics is going to spill over into just about everything. Get used to it, is not going to end soon.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Particularly when both the US and the UK are going through a period of severe political crisis. A lot of people think the existence of democracy in both countries is at stake. When that happens Politics is going to spill over into just about everything. Get used to it, is not going to end soon.

One of the reasons I believe franchises are now bigger than ever. Escapism. So many people need it, even if they don't realize it. The filmmakers aren't trying to lecture you, they're just telling fun stories about awesome characters.

This particular film looks like a ton of fun. Unfortunately it looks like Rian Johnson is trying to lecture us about why we should hang our heads in shame and apologize for being white, (North) American and living a good life.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

Just now, JB33 said:

One of the reasons I believe franchises are now bigger than ever. Escapism. So many people need it, even if they don't realize it. The filmmakers aren't trying to lecture you, they're just telling fun stories about awesome characters.

This particular film looks like a ton of fun. Unfortunately it looks like Rian Johnson is trying to lecture us about why we should hang our heads in shame for being white, (North) American and living a good life.

Wow,Just wow.

Rian is an excellent director. I have pretty much enjoyed all of his films minus some quibbles with The Brothers Bloom. I think The Last Jedi has been placed into an echo chamber of political nonsense. Where the pulp reverence evident in the film is silenced by the naysayers.

That being said, I was somewhat underwhelmed by this film's first trailer. I'm glad it's getting glowing reviews. Rian is, again, a very good director. It's going to be hard to market this despite the name power. How can you market a dialogue heavy whodunnit without revealing the ace in the sleeve? I hope it makes a decent profit. I dunno.

Edited by ThePhasmid

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

That's the message a lot of critics are getting, much to their delight.

I mean if you see critics identify a theme of the movie as "don't be an entitled prick" and immediately take that personally it says more about you than it does about the movie

• Like 18

18 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I mean if you see critics identify a theme of the movie as "don't be an entitled prick" and immediately take that personally it says more about you than it does about the movie

What I saw - and continue to see - was critics painting an entire country and ethnicity with the same brush (aka the "American entitlement" and "white entitlement" comments). Its It's like, shut up already. We get it!

It s not like the politics of The Last Jedi were absolutely horrifying and the biggest reason I could never support the movie from day one.

So Rian will be Rian I guess.

It s not his fault so let me be magnanimous.

He s still fairly young and has years to grow and mature.

His parents and entourage probably left him no chance growing up.

Poor kid.

Edited by The Futurist
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

Rian is an excellent director. I have pretty much enjoyed all of his films minus some quibbles with The Brothers Bloom. I think The Last Jedi has been placed into an echo chamber of political nonsense. Where the pulp reverence evident in the film is silenced by the naysayers.

That being said, I was somewhat underwhelmed by this film's first trailer. I'm glad it's getting glowing reviews. Rian is, again, a very good director. It's going to be hard to market this despite the name power. How can you market a dialogue heavy whodunnit without revealing the ace in the sleeve? I hope it makes a decent profit. I dunno.

I had problems with TLJ, but none of them had to do with poltical crap. 

ANd you don't know much about the mystery genre, if you think it's hard to market a whodunit without giving away whodunnit.

Its' a mystery, not an action film. Should be easy to get people interested without tipping your hand as to who dunnit.

I think some people probably don't like that Johnson is trying the mystery genre rather then sticking to Sci Fi. Sort of like how some people here were upset with Nolan for doing "Dunkirk".

Edited by dudalb

13 hours ago, dudalb said:

This is the first reasonable post I can recall seeing from you.

17 hours ago, JB33 said:

Unfortunately it looks like Rian Johnson is trying to lecture us about why we should hang our heads in shame and apologize for being white, (North) American and living a good life.

he may try but you don't have to hang your head in shame and apologize. last time I checked, he and his cast of 50+ white actors didn't either. They aren't Rosanna Arquette (a known loon).

That said, it's all talking the the talk but not walking the walk. talk about white privilege being bad while giving 30+ white actors well paid roles that minority actors cannot fill cause it's a movie about deconstructing white privilege. you have to be white to play a bad, deconstructed white privileged jerk or jerkette and get paid 5-15M to do so. It's actually funny. Boo white privilege by the way of giving white actors the privilege of a well-paid big exposure job in a studio movie. Instead of making a movie like Hustlers that isn't about shitting on white privilege but about a group of non-white women that had to take care of themselves when white privileged Wall Street people crashed Wall Street. See the difference? of course you do yet I suspect this post won't be well received by others. 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 3

RT and another ridiculously early consensus

Knives Out sharpens old murder-mystery tropes with a keenly assembled suspense outing that makes brilliant use of writer-director Rian Johnson's stellar ensemble.

TOMATOMETER 100%

Average Rating: 8.69/10

Total Count: 28

Fresh: 28

Rotten: 0

Top Critics:  100%

Average Rating: 8.21/10

Total Count: 10

Fresh: 10

Rotten: 0

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

he may try but you don't have to hang your head in shame and apologize. last time I checked, he and his cast of 50+ white actors didn't either. They aren't Rosanna Arquette (a known loon).

That said, it's all talking the the talk but not walking the walk. talk about white privilege being bad while giving 30+ white actors well paid roles that minority actors cannot fill cause it's a movie about deconstructing white privilege. you have to be white to play a bad, deconstructed white privileged jerk or jerkette and get paid 5-15M to do so. It's actually funny. Boo white privilege by the way of giving white actors the privilege of a well-paid big exposure job in a studio movie. Instead of making a movie like Hustlers that isn't about shitting on white privilege but about a group of non-white women that had to take care of themselves when white privileged Wall Street people crashed Wall Street. See the difference? of course you do yet I suspect this post won't be well received by others. 

Love this post. You hit the nail on the head.