grim22

Weekend Thread | Preview #s The Nun 5.4M, Peppermint 750k

1 minute ago, NamakFiskKa said:

This guy seems like the David Goyer of Horror movies....

Or the Akiva Goldsman...

The fact that they are both each developing shows for the DC streaming service.... Yikes !

26 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Should The Nun hit an overseas take of $70M, her worldwide start is a fantastic $124M, which is ahead of the global debut of World War Z ($112.2M) and below It‘s awesome $189.7M WW opening weekend a year ago.

The Nun will be making over 5 times its budget on opening weekend...

I don't think WB would mind if it crashed and burned next weekend :Venom:

thought I doubt The Nun will have really bad legs, The fans of the conjuring universe seems to like it.

I see what you mean by this for sure about WB not really caring if it crashed and burned. And from an immediate standpoint, yes, they still make tons of money either way. But if it crashes and burns after this weekend, I think they’ll care a lot, even moreso than if the movie had opened in say the low30’s.

This opening shows that there was clearly tons of interest. TONS. Warner’s sees how much potential they have, not just for this movie but for sequels/prequels you name it. If it crashes and burns, they know they will have an upward battle to face with creating a possible Nun franchise of its own, rather than capitalizing on its success. Which I think, is a lot more concerning in the long run than a few million here and there.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

I'm really rooting for this Conjuring Universe! Cause If it crashes and burns then there would be no more horror universe that provides a quality horror chill. All would left is a cheap and Lazy writing horror movies with just a few surprises like a Quite Place. ( nightmare of horror fans )

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

15 minutes ago, Claudio said:

I'm really rooting for this Conjuring Universe! Cause If it crashes and burns then there would be no more horror universe that provides a quality horror chill. All would left is a cheap and Lazy writing horror movies with just a few surprises like a Quite Place. ( nightmare of horror fans )

I didn't find a Quiet Place scary at all. but it was a fun entertaining thriller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonan23 said:

Very impressive performance for The Nun which keeps going up. Especially impressive considering the bad reviews and supposedly bad reactions.

People claimed that everyone hated the first Annabelle and yet the sequel opened bigger and made more. They'll simply see what was wrong with the first Nun and work on it like they did with Annabelle Creation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

SUNDAY AM WRITETHRU AND UPDATE: Chart will be updated later in the morning First a $50M projected opening, now New Line’s The Nun is soaring toward an estimated $54M after a $22.3M reported Friday and $19.7M Saturday, -11% (remember Friday includes that record Thursday night $5.4M preview cash for The Conjuring franchise).

https://deadline.com/2018/09/the-nun-weekend-box-office-conjuring-records-peppermint-jennifer-garner-1202459068/

That’s fantastic for The Nun. 

Aiming for 10 x previews with a C cinemascore is impressive. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

People claimed that everyone hated the first Annabelle and yet the sequel opened bigger and made more. They'll simply see what was wrong with the first Nun and work on it like they did with Annabelle Creation.

Creation opened with 2M less though (37M for first Annabelle, 35M for its prequel), but ultimately had MUCH better legs due to good reception and a wasteland of an August box office.

I've come to the realisation that I only care about the biggest and baddest blockbusters. I mean CRA was pretty interesting but I didn't find myself hyped waiting for the numbers to come in or anything like that.

Hmpf... what is life

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Creation opened with 2M less though (37M for first Annabelle, 35M for its prequel), but ultimately had MUCH better legs due to good reception and a wasteland of an August box office.

My mistake. Well, I'll say that it opened around the same amount while many thought it was in for a big fall. And indeed it being a better film helped it but I still don't see the proof that the first was hated as was claimed at the time. 

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I've come to the realisation that I only care about the biggest and baddest blockbusters. I mean CRA was pretty interesting but I didn't find myself hyped waiting for the numbers to come in or anything like that.

Hmpf... what is life

The December 21-23 weekend will be boooooring for you then!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CRA's numbers went up by 0.4m

This weekend also reps the fourth frame in a row that Warners has owned the top two B.O. spots on the chart with Crazy Rich Asians counting a running cume of $135.9M, still besting The Help by 14% through 26 days. The pic’s fourth Saturday made $5.9M, +55% from Friday for an estimated $13.3M weekend, -39%. Final domestic B.O. will be around $193M+.

Edited by MaxAggressor
  • Like 1

So wait - after starting the weekend at 6x CRA on MT and ending the weekend a little under 3x, who here is still surprised it landed at 4x CRA?

No one who has been paying attention to the MT ratio should be surprised by this morning’s number. One day someone else will understand this pretty straightforward  analysis. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Hmpf... what is life

Yeah me too being honest

The next film box office I am really interested in likely Avengers 4 and SW9. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1