grim22

Weekend Thread | Preview #s The Nun 5.4M, Peppermint 750k

The nun can be a horribly incompetent movie and still be incredibly profitable. You can't have every single movie in a series be incredibly well done. It just doesn't happen. The problem with the none is that there was no story with it. They just ran out of ideas or they didn't have a strong enough writer. But the conjuring universe is strong and will continue to be strong.

• Like 6

With the Nun, TC Universe will surpass 1.5b WW on a combined 103m budget, And just think of all the money in the ancillary market with streaming being as huge as it is. And anyone thinking The Nun wont get a sequel is out of their minds. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Valonqar said:

Yeah, as someone explained earlier, The Conjuring franchise is original, so various spin-offs can survive if one of them is Z quality. 

@nevermore I know but why is everyone disappointed then?

Probably because it could've done even better if it had good reviews. Pretty sure WB is happy anyway

2 hours ago, Litio said:

$50m ow, 52% in flixster and 29% in rt. Congrats to Warner for wasting their biggest chance of taking this franchise to much higher levels at box office.

Well that seems the appropriate reaction to The Nun beating tracking and series records.

:sparta:

I saw The Nun with three friends. We all didn't like it...

The story was so empty lol. I didn't even care about that...when I watch a horror film in theaters, I expect to have a good time. I wasn't expecting A Quiet Place or something, but at LEAST get me scared. 

Nicely shot and produced, though, with some good acting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

So much for being closer to 70M than 40M :redcapes: 

I was expecting a much better reception given the history of the franchise. I did not know it was possible to go so low.

Still, it will make much more than $ 40m even with poor reception. 

That was my point all along.

The Conjuring's biggest strength is its low budgets. The Nun is a huge success commercially (that is a fact). Its reception is poor but most people will chalk that up to it being a solo misfire not a misfire of the entire series. Future films (with the exception of a possible Nun 2) will not feel any impact or backlash. 

Yes, The Nun will see bad legs but its gonna rake in that cash. 

2 hours ago, James said:

With the Nun, TC Universe will surpass 1.5b WW on a combined 103m budget, And just think of all the money in the ancillary market with streaming being as huge as it is. And anyone thinking The Nun wont get a sequel is out of their minds. 

I think WB won't rush a Nun sequel, we'll get Conjuring 3 and Annabelle 3 first, maybe even Crooked Man. 

I've said this in the Nun thread but if The Curse of La Llorona is well received and profitable, you can bet the director and writer of that will offered Nun 2 or another Conjuring film

• Like 1