kayumanggi

CANDYMAN | August 27 2021

Contains some cool kills, especially in the end, but a really disorganised mess that doesn't really know what it wants to say. There's an unintentional self-critique of the film which I found pretty funny (Teyonah Paris's character says it).

And the movie has no atmosphere at all, which the first film is full of. Just the way Rose shoots Cabrini-Green in the first film in more haunting than most of the images in this. Also not enough of the Candyman theme.

• Like 3

I love what this film is about. Gentrification, the exploitation of Black trauma in art, cultural appropriation, the power of myths in low-level communities. But hate how it's about them. These ideas are presented in inept fashion that prevents the film from truly taking off. The visuals and sense of screen geometry are unnerving but the unspooling of the narrative and general lack of terror is too detrimental. Other than the occasional glimpse of body horror, was there anything remotely scary occurring? The window scene was interesting, I guess, but how many times can that death scene be played out? A horror film shouldn't lack a pulse.

I also find the 3rd act completely contradictory to the ideas established

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I love what this film is about. Gentrification, the exploitation of Black trauma in art, cultural appropriation, the power of myths in low-level communities. But hate how it's about them. These ideas are presented in inept fashion that prevents the film from truly taking off. The visuals and sense of screen geometry are unnerving but the unspooling of the narrative and general lack of terror is too detrimental. Other than the occasional glimpse of body horror, was there anything remotely scary occurring? The window scene was interesting, I guess, but how many times can that death scene be played out? A horror film shouldn't lack a pulse.

I also find the 3rd act completely contradictory to the ideas established

so the reviews are basically a scam???

33 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The audience score for this still isn't up. Weird.

Reminiscence didn't get an audience score for the whole weekend. This films been out for a couple of hours, and isn't a CG blockbuster so the verified Aud score comes out slower. It should pop up by this evening or tomorrow morning. 

Just saw this. it's really well shot, the director did a fine job but the movie itself is ok, the reviews are unwarranted and yeah most deaths happen off screen. 

Spoiler

Lol at everyone white dying. surprised they didnt kill off the gay white bf. also

yahya's body is insane, damn.

Edited by Cruel Summer

7 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Just saw this. it's really well shot, the director did a fine job but the movie itself is ok, the reviews are unwarranted and yeah most deaths happen off screen. 

Hide contents

Lol at everyone white dying. surprised they didnt kill off the gay white bf. also

yahya's body is insane, damn.

Yahya is especially good at selling the character going insane.