CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

Ant-Man2 being a sequel and a summer movie (where ow is more preview heavy) is not a good comp for Venom imo. Ant-Man2's ow was 6.6x the previews. Venom should aim for 8.5x+.

T: Ragnarok did 8.5 from 7pm previews.  GOTG 2 was 8.6 from 7pm previews.  Both were more family and older adult skewing.

Venom previews started at 5pm and Deadline says it's skewing young adult male.

• Like 2

Saw A Star is Born and it's great. Cooper is good, but Gaga absolutely stole the show. I was quite impressed with her performance, and wouldn't mind if she won best actress. Splendid work. Glad to see it doing well, too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Saw A Star is Born and it's great. Cooper is good, but Gaga absolutely stole the show. I was quite impressed with her performance, and wouldn't mind if she won best actress. Splendid work. Glad to see it doing well, too.

In a movie like this, you are only as good as your partner, they go hand in hand, Gaga was more showy for sure.

22 minutes ago, dtairdryZid said:

shit numbers for Star/Born relative to Venom.  Star/Born appears more crowded in reserved seating, etc.  but Marvel is Marvel and Star should make it to 4 million.

Have the other preview numbers been released yet?

… those are the only movies coming out this weekend (previews wise) :lol: 

Wish I could give ya First Man or Halloween's preview #'s, but if I were capable of that there would be no point on being on this site

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

… those are the only movies coming out this weekend (previews wise) :lol: 

Wish I could give ya First Man or Halloween's preview #'s, but if I were capable of that there would be no point on being on this site

I think both movies held Hotel Transylvania 3-like previews that might have numbers rolled into the opening day/weekend.

Edited by dtairdryZid
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if it was already known, but I saw that Regal had matinee prices for the 5pm Venom screenings (Cinemark, on the other hand, did not).  Locally, at least.

That might matter a bit, if not a lot.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Sales were just way too damn strong at the theatres in Victoria compared to Nun's 5.4M and Predator's 2.5M previews for me to think this is going to go under 7.5-8. Idk, maybe this market is an outlier, I don't know it nearly as well as I knew my hometown theatre, but something tells me that 600+ tickets sold in IMAX alone for Thursday night has gotta mean something. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

11-15% of OW are from previews for most comic book movies after 2014. Also Venom started from 5pm. I think 46.7-56M(12.5-15%) OW. 

This is only if the preview numbers stay at $7m for thursday correct? By the morning that thursday number could be higher at like $8m or so