CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

I tried to start the weekend slightly early and it nearly got deleted. Fun just isn't allowed anymore.

If you'll allow me to go on a tiny bit of a rant here about the mods, I have an opinion to share:

Sometimes they do too much.

There's a tendency to not allow discussion to veer to far away from certain guidelines, and sometimes the enforcement of the rules is to the detriment of the forum as a whole, as it can limit activity and involvement. Threads get locked a bit too much, or moved off to some mysterious other place that benefits no one.

For example, let's imagine that some movie like Robin Hood gets dumped straight to Netflix or something like that. Well within an hour or two of that news breaking, some mod here would move that thread over to the direct to video forum or whatever it's called, somewhere with far less traffic than the main forum. By the time people found out about the news an hour or two later, and came here to share their opinion about it, they'd come to the forum here and wouldn't even be able to find the Robin Hood thread to post in.

Or lets look at the Dark Avengers thread. No need to lock it an hour or two after it's made. Let people post in it for a day or two, and speculate about all the crazy characters that could show up. Don't stifle people's discussion.

Those 2 types of decisions encourage less activity on the board. Unless your goal is to decrease the post count, you're doing it wrong.

Now if someone starts a my-franchise-is-better-than-yours shouting match, or if some people try to engage in intense debates about Trump or abortion or whatever, then sure, moderate the heck out of those things. But if it's nothing that's hurting anybody, maybe let it go.

I'm not saying the mods here are doing a bad job or anything, just maybe that they're doing too much of a job.

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i've been posting for way too long. fair to say that in that time the ratio of insane single issue fanboys and reasonable folks who just like movies has... flipped.

Kal was such a nutcase through most of my time at Mojo and then you had BKB and fishnets and a couple of others here, where these guys flat took over entire topics. We don't have that much anymore at all. Now we just have people with no avatars and 300 posts who repeat the same one sentence shit for whatever hill they're dying on until they fade away. The game has changed.

• Like 2

There's not a strong trend between IM and DOM multi. It's there, but not enough to predict Venom within smaller than a $50M range ($195M-$245M) from that factor alone.

WZWRek7.png

Edited by cory
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Kal was such a nutcase through most of my time at Mojo and then you had BKB and fishnets and a couple of others here, where these guys flat took over entire topics. We don't have that much anymore at all. Now we just have people with no avatars and 300 posts who repeat the same one sentence shit for whatever hill they're dying on until they fade away. The game has changed.

BKB was something else. I don't miss his racist self but at the same time I miss his rants about certain movies/topics especially his parking lot reports 

Imagine how the forums would have been if he was here for The Meg? Especially since he called it being big way before a trailer even dropped :sparta:

2 minutes ago, kitik said:

If you'll allow me to go on a tiny bit of a rant here about the mods, I have an opinion to share:

Sometimes they do too much.

There's a tendency to not allow discussion to veer to far away from certain guidelines, and sometimes the enforcement of the rules is to the detriment of the forum as a whole, as it can limit activity and involvement. Threads get locked a bit too much, or moved off to some mysterious other place that benefits no one.

For example, let's imagine that some movie like Robin Hood gets dumped straight to Netflix or something like that. Well within an hour or two of that news breaking, some mod here would move that thread over to the direct to video forum or whatever it's called, somewhere with far less traffic than the main forum. By the time people found out about the news an hour or two later, and came here to share their opinion about it, they'd come to the forum here and wouldn't even be able to find the Robin Hood thread to post in.

Or lets look at the Dark Avengers thread. No need to lock it an hour or two after it's made. Let people post in it for a day or two, and speculate about all the crazy characters that could show up. Don't stifle people's discussion.

Those 2 types of decisions encourage less activity on the board. Unless your goal is to decrease the post count, you're doing it wrong.

Now if someone starts a my-franchise-is-better-than-yours shouting match, or if some people try to engage in intense debates about Trump or abortion or whatever, then sure, moderate the heck out of those things. But if it's nothing that's hurting anybody, maybe let it go.

I'm not saying the mods here are doing a bad job or anything, just maybe that they're doing too much of a job.

On the contrary, I think they've done a fine job of at least keeping the fandom wars at bay. Weekend threads are much easier to sift through now. Nobody really wants to read a weekend thread of when, say, Fantastic Beasts 2 opens only to encounter discussion about how divisive The Last Jedi was or how much Justice League forced WB to change their plans for the DCEU yet again.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Been noticing a downward trend in the weekend threads the last couple of months.

Even beyond the SW-shit storm, I just think the never ending Stan Wars between various franchises made things Not Fun Anymore.

Couple that with a pretty blah summer after JW2 (with the possible exception of AM&tW) and the drop off seems pretty natural to me.

===

FWIW, I'm starting to get interested in talking box office again as Thanksgiving and the rest of the holiday season approaches. But, gotta tell you, my patience for Stan Wars is at an absolute nadir right now.

Edited by Porthos

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I’d take no avatar over whatever you have as yours tenor.gif

5 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

@TalismanRing @Porthos

Y'all are better at this than me. Is the $100M dream still real?

AWiT got $3.6m after weekend 10:

May 11–13 11 $1,156,780 +182% 1,984 +1,690 $583 $96,812,656 10
May 18–20 25 $160,746 -86.1% 230 -1,754 $699 $97,366,188 11
May 25–27 19 $231,377 +43.9% 202 -28 $1,145 $97,676,573 12
May 25–28 19 $290,574 +80.8% 202 -28 $1,438 $97,735,770 12
Jun 1–3 29 $131,359 -43.2% 187 -15 $702 $97,946,988 13
Jun 8–10 30 $101,661 -22.6% 157 -30 $648 $98,141,968 14
Jun 15–17 13 $1,678,797 +1,551% 245 +88 $6,852 $99,906,924 15
Jun 22–24 30 $82,294 -95.1% 90 -155 $914 $100,382,220 16
Jun 29–Jul 1 46 $23,069 -72.0% 58 -32 $398 $100,452,601 17

We got both Nutcracker and Ralph Breaks the Internet coming up when it comes to double features.  Pretty sure Christopher Robin's got this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

BKB was something else. I don't miss his racist self but at the same time I miss his rants about certain movies/topics especially his parking lot reports 

Imagine how the forums would have been if he was here for The Meg? Especially since he called it being big way before a trailer even dropped :sparta:

I mean, The Meg has done like 35% of what he was predicting so I don't think he has too much of a leg to stand on bragging wise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If I remember correctly it was supposed to open in late September but was moved to mid-May and then back to October once they figured it was gonna be an awards player. They were probably thinking it was gonna be leggy throughout awards season (and after seeing it, it will be) so the fact it's gotten off to such a big start (against a $30M budget as well) must make them very happy. I wouldn't be surprised by a sub-35% drop next weekend even with First Man opening.

Sent you a Private Message.

1 minute ago, LegendaryBen said:

Sent you a Private Message.

Answered.

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Hot Take: Venom is the Suicide Squad Of 2018. 2nd best CBM of the year tbh.

I didn't like Venom but it's definitely a better comic book movie than Suicide Squad was. That movie was just bad and not in a fun way.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen such a large disconnect between the critics score and the audience score at RT?

Critics score: 32% (4.5/10)

Audience score: 89% (4.4/5)

That's a ridiculous 57% difference, easily the largest gap I can ever recall seeing at RT.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

FWIW, I'm starting to get interested in talking box office again as Thanksgiving and the rest of the holiday season approaches. But, gotta tell you, my patience for Stan Wars is at an absolute nadir right now.

Like, I'm just going to speak for me here.  Obviously Solo bombing hard sapped my will to sift through Weekend Threads something pretty fierce.  To paraphrase a famous film, I might as well have gave myself a nice paper cut and poured lemon juice on it while I was at it.

But the thing is, I was already staying away from the Weekend Threads a lot.  I posted a bit in the Infinity War thread, sure.  But beyond that?  Not much besides looking at the AWiT run, as it was fascinating in a morbid way and the Fifty Shades Freed run (also fascinating, if not quite as morbid).

Just... "Not Fun" is the only card I can keep going back to.  Hopefully it'll turn around in November and December, as I do like the analyzing side of things. 

• Like 3

Honestly, I'm kind of glad the weekend threads are shorter and breezier. They're quick to read through, and there's no annoying arguments that go on through endless circles. This thread could have easily been a nightmare, especially with certain people bringing up critic conspiracies and agendas and how Venom was purposefully given bad reviews in an attempt to make the film flop or whatever the heck those mouthbreathers are blabbering on about, but with how weak this thread was, it basically came and went after an hour.

Although I don't know how long that peace will last. FB2's weekend thread seems like a given to be a nightmare, since no matter if it does well or poor, there are going to be a lot of Depp debates, which will be...not fun. Bohemian Rhapsody could also get yucky with Bryan Singer. We're lucky Alita moved, because the Christmas thread would have been nothing but DCEU and Cameron fanboys being annoying for 100+ pages.

Grinch weekend might also have the weirdo Illumination stans come out of the woodwork and whine at people who dare say anything bad about the movie because God forbid anyone say anything bad about a children's movie. Hell, First Man's thread could also become toxic, because if that movie underperforms (which I wouldn't be surprised at), we'll likely get a bunch of racist assholes come out of the woodworks and be all "WELL IF CHAZELLE SHOWED THE FLAG PLANTING THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN A HIT FUCKING LEFTIST HOLLYWOOD MYEH MYEH MYEH MYEH MYEH"

All I'm saying is that I'm going to enjoy these types of weak threads while I still can.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

On the contrary, I think they've done a fine job of at least keeping the fandom wars at bay. Weekend threads are much easier to sift through now. Nobody really wants to read a weekend thread of when, say, Fantastic Beasts 2 opens only to encounter discussion about how divisive The Last Jedi was or how much Justice League forced WB to change their plans for the DCEU yet again.

Oh don't get me wrong. They've done a great job of stopping the franchise wars. I even mentioned that in my post.

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Honestly, I'm kind of glad the weekend threads are shorter and breezier.

Fair points, all the way around.

I think a bigger warning signal is the dearth of posts in the Conversation Thread.

I'm shocked at how much that's dropped off the last couple of months.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

Honestly, I'm kind of glad the weekend threads are shorter and breezier. They're quick to read through, and there's no annoying arguments that go on through endless circles. This thread could have easily been a nightmare, especially with certain people bringing up critic conspiracies and agendas and how Venom was purposefully given bad reviews in an attempt to make the film flop or whatever the heck those mouthbreathers are blabbering on about, but with how weak this thread was, it basically came and went after an hour.

Although I don't know how long that peace will last. FB2's weekend thread seems like a given to be a nightmare, since no matter if it does well or poor, there are going to be a lot of Depp debates, which will be...not fun. Bohemian Rhapsody could also get lucky with Bryan Singer. We're lucky Alita moved, because the Christmas thread would have been nothing but DCEU and Cameron fanboys being annoying for 100+ pages. Grinch weekend might also have the weirdo Illumination stans come out of the woodwork and whine at people who dare say anything bad about the movie because God forbid anyone say anything bad about a children's movie. Hell, First Man's thread could also become toxic, because if that movie underperforms (which I wouldn't be surprised at), we'll likely get a bunch of racist assholes come out of the woodworks and be all "WELL IF CHAZELLE SHOWED THE FLAG PLANTING THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN A HIT FUCKING LEFTIST HOLLYWOOD MYEH MYEH MYEH MYEH MYEH"

All I'm saying is that I'm going to enjoy these types of weak threads while I still can.

Eh, if a Venom opening weekend thread couldn't cause people to go crazy, things will probably be calm until...well, the next Star Wars movie that comes out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen such a large disconnect between the critics score and the audience score at RT?

Critics score: 32% (4.5/10)

Audience score: 89% (4.4/5)

That's a ridiculous 57% difference, easily the largest gap I can ever recall seeing at RT.

Last Jedi springs to mind, awful movie reflected by audiences scores followed by a solo bomb and now the opposite where people realise critics reviews are meaningless against the people’s opinions and money vote