CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Fair points, all the way around.

I think a bigger warning signal is the dearth of posts in the Conversation Thread.

I'm shocked at how much that's dropped off the last couple of months.

That's because all of the conversation has moved to Telegram. Telegram is nothing but teen angst and Tele being an agony aunt to the teens.

I personally haven't posted much in weekend threads or any threads in the past few months. Mostly a factor of having a toddler at home, I watch movies 3 months after they release.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Last Jedi springs to mind, awful movie reflected by audiences scores followed by a solo bomb and now the opposite where people realise critics reviews are meaningless against the people’s opinions and money vote

Yeah, I just looked that up and it was a big 46% discrepancy, but in the other direction (Critics 91% vs. Audience 45%). Venom still has the crown with a 57% difference.😁

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Aquaman and Fantastic Beasts weekends will both be toxic in their own way. Especially Fantastic Beasts, given some of the circumstances

Can’t wait for all the rehashed arguments during  Aquaman weekend 

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I personally haven't posted much in weekend threads or any threads in the past few months. Mostly a factor of having a toddler at home, I watch movies 3 months after they release.

I've been pretty quiet here for about the same period of time, but in my case it's more that there haven't been any movies I really gave a damn about.

The latter portion of this year has been so dull, but at least the holiday season coming up shows some promise.

1 hour ago, 75Live said:

just came back from Venom and it was pretty good.  Definitely fun and the crowd I was with ate it up.  Accidental pun there, but I'll take it :P

and big number for Venom.  Not all that surprising now that I have seen the movie

Just came from my showing, and I agree 100%! It really is a fun movie, and there were a lot of laughs in our theater!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

Yeah, I just looked that up and it was a big 46% discrepancy, but in the other direction (Critics 91% vs. Audience 45%). Venom still has the crown with a 57% difference.😁

idk I think some PureFlix/Christian films have it beat

God's Not Dead is 62%, 

1 minute ago, Incarnadine said:

I've been pretty quiet here for about the same period of time, but in my case it's more that there haven't been any movies I really gave a damn about.

The latter portion of this year has been so dull, but at least the holiday season coming up shows some promise.

Yo just noticed you're from Vancouver! What part of the city if I may ask?

45 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen such a large disconnect between the critics score and the audience score at RT?

Critics score: 32% (4.5/10)

Audience score: 89% (4.4/5)

That's a ridiculous 57% difference, easily the largest gap I can ever recall seeing at RT.

Death of a Nation (89%), but I don't think that one really counts.

Crazy weekend! 

Venom’s opening weekend is insane but in the end kinda not surprising. The film should hold ok and do $170 million domestic total and make a killing overseas.

A Star Is Born also did booming in second place, a very good debut for an R-rated musical with $41 million estimated. The film should hold up decently with decent word of mouth and should make $120-$125 million domestic if not more than that(depending on its legs). 

Smallfoot holding up for a kids movie

pretty solid, and should make $70 million.

Night School took a dip on its second weekend, and should make $65-$70 million total.

The movie with a long title starring Jack Black, is doing fine. And should do $75-$80 million.

Simple Favor performing strong at close to $50 Million, and perform like the Shallows. 

The Nun isn’t dead yet for horror as it’s approaching $115 million and is the 2nd best earning horror film  domestic this year, and the highest worldwide. With Halloween, coming out next weekend and with it’s higher expectations things may change. 

Crazy Rich Asians still a leggy wonder, and should gross $175-$180 million domestic.

Hell Fest and The Predator are somehow still in the top 10. Thankfully Hell Fest wasn’t a big budget but more than $10 million domestic total is its earning. Predator is dying and will likely be in theaters until November 1/November 8. 

Overall very strong weekend in comparison to last years slump, hopefully next weekend continues the upward trend and possibly the top three titles are all north of $20 million each.

As for next weekend’s new releases, im expecting First Man to launch between $23-$25 million opening weekend with a leggier run, Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween to dip from its predecessor with a debut between $13-$15 million, and Bad Times At El Royale despite solid reviews, a good cast, and appealing spots im expecting a debut between other Fox fall bombs like Runner Runner or The Counselor between $6-$8 million.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I was expecting A Star is Born to put up much more of a fight, what with all the reviews and hype.

Even if it made $40 million+, Venom pretty much ate its head off, then piled the body in the corner.

Not really, Venom didn’t get females, Star Is Born did, 69%. 

1 hour ago, VENOM said:

Because venom was better and proved it without having to rely on critics too busy blowing smoke up asses oblivious to the public opinions

Hahaha please be a bot 

1 hour ago, cory said:

There's not a strong trend between IM and DOM multi. It's there, but not enough to predict Venom within smaller than a $50M range ($195M-$245M) from that factor alone.

WZWRek7.png

Update: Looking at it closer the sequel effect is definitely real, so I think $220+ is in the cards. (Venom is 8x in between X-Men Apocalypse and Black Panther)

xlLVpxe.png

• Like 2

Predictions for next weekend:

Venom: 32M

A Star Is Born: 24.8M

First Man: 22M

Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween: 15M

Bad Times at the El Royale: 9M

Smallfoot: 8.5M

Night School: 6.2M

The House with a Clock in Its Walls: 3.8M

A Simple Favor: 2M

The Nun: 1.3M

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Hate U Give had a pretty disappointing start. It sure as shit won't play well in conservative areas, so I'm questioning if this even hits 15M total.

Lol it will blow past that. With the rave reviews and great word of mouth. Its open g in 2k+ theaters in two weeks and the point on the small roll out was to get word of mouth out about how great the film is. 

Edited by Curtis1986
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Predictions for next weekend:

Venom: 32M

A Star Is Born: 24.8M

First Man: 22M

Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween: 15M

Bad Times at the El Royale: 9M

Smallfoot: 8.5M

Night School: 6.2M

The House with a Clock in Its Walls: 3.8M

A Simple Favor: 2M

The Nun: 1.3M

What are your final predictions for total wise for ASIB?