CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

32 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Which one will do less: this or Valerian?

Valerian has the opportunity to potentially cross over to the GA.  While I think both movies look good to...well, different degrees of quality, Dark Tower seems to exclusively be targeting fans of the books and hard sci-fi/fantasy concepts.  Valerian seems to have a more basic concept (a threat that will wipe out another planet, which is a very Star Wars-esque plot) and will also probably have a more human approach to its sci-fi concept.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This, of course.

13 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Valerian has the opportunity to potentially cross over to the GA.  While I think both movies look good to...well, different degrees of quality, Dark Tower seems to exclusively be targeting fans of the books and hard sci-fi/fantasy concepts.  Valerian seems to have a more basic concept (a threat that will wipe out another planet, which is a very Star Wars-esque plot) and will also probably have a more human approach to its sci-fi concept.

You are both wrong but it will be closer than most probably think. 17M DOM total for Valerin and 30M for Dark Tower is my bet right now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

You are both wrong but it will be closer than most probably think. 17M DOM total for Valerin and 30M for Dark Tower is my bet right now.

Valerian will pass 17M after its first two days in release at the minimum :rofl:

30M for Dark Tower sounds like its first 4-5 days of release.  It still has a reasonably large fanbase.  It'll drop off big after its second weekend though thanks to David F. Sandberg's visionary film Annabelle: Creation.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

Valerian will pass 17M after its first two days in release at the minimum :rofl:

30M for Dark Tower sounds like its first 4-5 days of release.  It still has a reasonably large fanbase.  It'll drop off big after its second weekend though thanks to David F. Sandberg's visionary film Annabelle: Creation.

You live in fantasy land if you think either this or Valerian will perform better than Jupiter Ascending and King Arthur.

Just now, Telemachos said:

17m OW for Valerian seems on the low side. 

Fantasy land. 

The meltdowns will be amazing to witness on that weekend.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

You live in fantasy land if you think either this or Valerian will perform better than Jupiter Ascending and King Arthur.

What if the Tomato Law is on Valerian's side

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Dude...Jupiter Ascending got shit reactions, and the first reactions for Valerian have been far better.  It already has an upper hand in that department.  And although it may look weird, at its core, it is nowhere near as insane as Jupiter Ascending's batshit craziness.

King Arthur had almost nothing appealing in it.  Nobody stars, gray/dull looking action, very little inherent fanbase, etc. Dark Tower has Elba/McConaughey, some interesting action at the very least, and a large fanbase of the novels.  It has a far bigger advantage than where King Arthur ever was.  I don't think the film will appeal too much to people in the GA and should open with something like 25M before finishing with like 55-60M, but that's far from the flop territory you're predicting.

Just now, grim22 said:

Back to the topic at hand, since @That One Guy seems to be turning every thread into the Valerian thread, that poster looks downright awful. Mismatched names is a pet peeve of mine, especially with just 2 characters on the poster.

I wasn't even the one who brought it up, I was responding to CJohn who was comparing the movie to Valerian.  If he were to compare the movie to this, why can't I do the same in how they both can be distuingishable from one another and how one can perform better than the other?

• Like 1