Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

28 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Scott always has something interesting to say.

I think he brings up a good point with ‘coping with a non-fiction tragedy’, even though he sort of frames it in a negative way.

They literally lost the headline star of the movie and a close friend. Making that film without him was always going to be difficult. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeight said:

I guess you havent seen he majority of phase 4 movies yet.

Also for people demonizing humor again. Which movie brainwashed you that a serious tone is better? Was it Dark Knight or was it Logan? Cause it did more harm than good. 

Shazam and SpiderVerse (especially the latter as that’s my favorite) are probably amongst the best CBMs and both are pretty lighthearted and humorous but highly deliver on emotional moments and arcs. Tbh humor apart from LaT hasn’t bugged me this phase, the problem lays in pacing and poor screenwriting.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

Anyways glad to see Wakanda is doing well in the early reactions although they can be highly fickle to read due to fandom access. Black Panther will always have a special place in my heart, not only is it my favorite MCU film but one of my favorite recent blockbusters and comes from Coogler who I am a huge fan of (this is definitely one of the MCU movies that couldn’t be replicated without choosing said director). Sadly the king is gone but hopefully the world of Wakanda still has a lot of wonder in it.

12 minutes ago, YM! said:

Shazam and SpiderVerse (especially the latter as that’s my favorite) are probably amongst the best CBMs and both are pretty lighthearted and humorous but highly deliver on emotional moments and arcs. Tbh humor apart from LaT hasn’t bugged me this phase, the problem lays in pacing and poor screenwriting.

I havebt seen any consistent poir screenwriting apart from a couple of movies. And the pacing has been good to great

It’s funny how here people cares that much about reviews. Yes it’s a “good sign” that it gets great reviews, but I’m pretty sure i haven’t read more than a few reviews of movies in my life and i can live and go to the cinema and enjoy movies without that. That tweets seems very positive though 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, YM! said:

Shazam was a childish movie.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lor15 said:

It’s funny how here people cares that much about reviews. Yes it’s a “good sign” that it gets great reviews, but I’m pretty sure i haven’t read more than a few reviews of movies in my life and i can live and go to the cinema and enjoy movies without that. That tweets seems very positive though 

RT was the one of the worst things to happen to movies in recent times. As someone said, that and box office numbers became the billboard charts for the chronically online: something you use to validate your tastes (if positive) or pile on someone you dislike (if negative). There are tons of movies I've loved only to find out months later it was either a flop or had bad reviews. I get why the filmmakers would care but let's face it if you're a big Marvel fan something tells me you were going to see their latest offering regardless. People let these numbers dictate their tastes to the point that they feel defensive for enjoying things with a 60% RT score. It's weird. 

• Like 3

Reading all these reviews, one thing I question now is the release timing...if you have a damn sad bummer of a movie (which this seems to be), do you want to release this after what's been a crappy year and what probably will be a crappy election only 3 days prior?  Will people keep wanting to be bummed out that week, when they might just want to move on to happier holiday thinking and counting the days to the end of a crappy year?

It just seems like this was perfect to be their February hit (new year, new hopes let folks engage with more dark, serious, and sad material)...but we'll see when it opens...

• Like 1