Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

15 hours ago, Cap said:

This is gonna be brutal in the theater. 

ETA: brutal, and the Sons of got wrenching, emotional and incredibly difficult to get through without crying, not bad. Before people jump on my post.

Not me. Some of my favrotie movies are basically tragedies.

On 10/28/2022 at 7:56 AM, Menor Reborn said:

This is better than Hold My Hand

Hide contents

but...

I just watched this naatu video. The song is good, but the dancing is the real star. However, i have to ask...is the dancing sped up? Can those two dancers really move that fast?

38 minutes ago, jedijake said:

The question is whether "it is sad, sad, sad" will actually be a good thing for box office. Sure, emotional and powerful sound great, but is it TOO much for people to want to repeat view. To get a good multiplier, it will NEED repeat viewings.

There is Titanic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

There is Titanic. 

That movie was buoyed by enormous legs by (mostly Caucasian) girls 12-25 - that's probably not the demo for this movie.

I mean, supers tend to skew reasonably to heavily male (Wonder Woman being one of the only exceptions).  Will men want the uber-sad movie?  And will they rewatch like those Titanic viewers would?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-many-people-havent-seen-titanic/#:~:text=About 90 percent of women,cultural phenomenon all their lives.

"About 90 percent of women aged 18 to 29 and 30 to 44 had seen the film, the highest viewership rate among all groups. They’d have been in their early 20s or younger when the film was in cinemas, and most of the former group had grown up with “Titanic” as a cultural phenomenon all their lives.

On the other end, only about 3 in 4 men age 60 and higher said they had seen it, making them the least likely group. (These guys would have been in their 40s and up when “Titanic” was released, and about two-thirds of the ones who have seen the film said they saw it in theaters.)"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Doubt MCU can go hard as titanic ,the last hour of that movie is something else.

maybe something more like endgame which was also a sad movie for considerable chunks.

I mentioned before, but it’s a different when it’s sadness involving a plot line vs when there is real - and fresh - tragedy behind it. It just hits at a deeper level that’s more difficult to dive into several times, and may turn off some people who are looking for more light-hearted escapism

It’s not a historical story with fictional characters, nor an actor who passed after and so in their final role: it’s essentially part funeral. This is not a criticism of the film makers, who by most early accounts handled it very well, just the unfortunate reality of the situation

• Like 2

Most reactions (not a spoiler because it's common knowledge now) say that the sadness and grief of Chadwick's passing is hit hard in the beginning and then they move on with the movie. However, his loss/inspiration is alluded to during the film. But viewers were also saying, publicly, that there are other sad parts. Having seen spoilers during the summer, I know what they are alluding to, but it is part of the plot and motivation for other characters to rise up so there is (and the word has been used many times by early viewers) quite a bit of catharsis.

Both Endgame and No Way Home really hit the feels for obvious reasons. But, yeah, their loss was only within the movie.

Sadness met with inspiration and uplifting catharsis as a response is usually a good thing, eh?

Edited by jedijake

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

That movie was buoyed by enormous legs by (mostly Caucasian) girls 12-25 - that's probably not the demo for this movie.

I mean, supers tend to skew reasonably to heavily male (Wonder Woman being one of the only exceptions).  Will men want the uber-sad movie?  And will they rewatch like those Titanic viewers would?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-many-people-havent-seen-titanic/#:~:text=About 90 percent of women,cultural phenomenon all their lives.

We know that BLACK PANTHER was not the traditional "Super" and of course was tremendously meaningful for a huge audience that has been historically neglected by Hollywood.  That same audience will likely turn out here at the beginning to yes, mourn...and yes, then the question will be, does the film work as an equal mourning and celebration and inspiration of a new journey to keep people coming back for repeat viewings?  But props on actually doing the research for audiences on TITANIC!  

• Like 1