Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

Of course this one isn't going to be quite as good as the first. What sequels (2nd ones at least) ever are?

But ending up in the 70's? I am not sure if people saying that are trolling or just using some twisted logic. I'd say the latter. 

Top Gun Maverick

Captain America Winter Soldier

The Dark Knight

I can keep going:)...

• Like 6

Just now, jedijake said:

Of course this one isn't going to be quite as good as the first. What sequels (2nd ones at least) ever are?

TDK, TWS, SM2, Aliens, Terminator, godfather, ESB are often considered better. Restricting myself to cases where the first entry is seen as good to great — otherwise very easy for the sequel to be better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Top Gun Maverick

Captain America Winter Soldier

The Dark Knight

I can keep going:)...

A better question is how many sequels are better than the original when the original has rave across the board like Black Panther. It's easy for a sequel to be better than the first when the original got mediocre to good reviews but not great. Top Gun(58%), Batman Begins(83%) and Captain American: The First Avenger (79%) didn't really set a High Bar to pass. T2, Aliens, The Godfather 2 are great examples but those are few and few in between.

Edited by Nikostar
  • Like 2

I'd say the reviews matter most through the first weekend. After that, the OW reports and WOM take over. It could end up at 80% or even 75% a couple of weeks from now and nobody will care (that that anyone should care at all anyway).

But I can't see it dropping below 85% in the next few days.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Macleod said:

Perhaps...but no one seems to really care about that much, either... Do you see MCU fans protesting the films over that?  It hasn't hurt their grosses one iota...

Yes, I realized that the general audience doesn't care ever since THE AVENGERS grossed $1.5m with its TV level visuals. But I still hope serious movie fans have higher standards.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Yes, I realized that the general audience doesn't care ever since THE AVENGERS grossed $1.5m with its TV level visuals. But I still hope serious movie fans have higher standards.

So do I, obviously...have been saying this for years here and elsewhere.  Sooner or later perhaps Marvel's fluffiness will catch up with them.  Sounds like Wakanda Forever at least attempts to return to some gravity...  But I'm still disappointed reading these initial "hot takes" here.  I'd say it's an extraordinary feat that this movie was accomplished at all, considering the circumstances it dealt with.  So I'm sure it's better than these few "It's OK" takes I see here so far...

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1