salvador-232

Bohemian Rhapsody OS: $684M OS | $900M WW

The run of the year. Over Infinity War WW or Black Panther DOM. And one of the most impressive ever. I do not know if people are really conscious of  how absurd sounds that a film of this genre is able to manage +700.

And I think we should start to talk about the chance of making $800m WW and $600m OS WITHOUT China...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY

Bohemian Rhapsody
20th Century Fox

Hitting another high note at the international box office, Fox’s Freddie Mercury biopic shot up by 15% this session, taking the cume to $513.3M overseas and across the seven century mark to $702Mglobal. And again, this is without China. The strong legs on this crowd-pleaser added $17M during the frame.

Holds have been astonishing, particularly in Korea and Japan which are now the Nos. 1 and 2 markets. In Japan, Bo Rhap was down just 2% to cume $63.9M after eight weekends. Korea fell 21% for a total to date of $70M. The movie is now the No. 6 MPA title ever in the market.

The UK has now grossed $61.2M and spiked upwards by 56% this session. Hollandis up a wild 90% to reclaim the top spot and $14.5M so far. Bo Rhap is the No. 1 movie of the year in the market.

Italy jumped by 11% for $23.6M to date. What about Australia, France, Germany and Spain? Yup, all up: Australia (+61%/$30.1M cume/No. 3 film of the year); Germany (+67%/$24.1M), France (+55%/$32.4M); Spain (+27%/$25.2M).

Overall, the Rami Malek-starrer is Fox International’s 7th highest grossing title of all time and will soon eclipse X-Men Days Of Future Past to land in 6th position.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

Bohemian Rhapsody really reminds me of a mini-Titanic in its phenomenal legs and ability to break out in almost every OS market. It's very rare for a film to resonate so well globally.

It kind of really does, but to be honest the big European markets and the US are the main markets were it didn't go absolutely crazy, like it did in Korea or Japan or even in smaller European markets.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tigalion said:

I've joined the forum because of this film. Why is this such a big hit in Korea and Japan? Was Freddy Mercury a household name in those markets?

Does this bode well for the Elton John biopic?

Japan an South Korea are known a giant market for music theme film, check out Frozen miracle in SK and Japan in 2014. Frozen biggest overseas market were too, SK and Japan. 

Queen were quite popular in Japan during 1970s and 1980s but not so much for SK, they are just adore this film. SK and Japan numbers are still surprising even by the prior-knowledge given. I didn't expect SK and Japan become such powerhouse that the home country of queen band - UK have no match.

This doesn't necessarily bode well for Elton John biopic, Bohemian was certainly fueled by the nostalgic feeling to the band which Elton John may have problem to replicate that nostalgia power. Also, homosexual-centric film may still be too exotic to many mainstream audience. Bohemian did handle that arc well, it didn't make mainstream audience feel uncomfortable but the magnitude of " how gay it can go" is still a very difficult tasks for many director. 

To me, Bohemian is the 2018's biggest surprise. Last year was Jumanji. Who've thought a mid-budget, homosexual centric biopic will outgross marvel superhero?         

• Like 2

14 hours ago, peludo said:

The run of the year. Over Infinity War WW or Black Panther DOM. And one of the most impressive ever. I do not know if people are really conscious of  how absurd sounds that a film of this genre is able to manage +700.

And I think we should start to talk about the chance of making $800m WW and $600m OS WITHOUT China...

I agree, it’s the IT of this year. And it’s not ven more impressive than IT because that movie had critical praises.

^^ Thanks for the insight. Yep, but the looks of it Rocketman seems less vanilla and won't have the nostalgic push.

Now I wonder which music biopic can strike gold if done right a la BR? Michael Jackson with Bruno Mars?

Edited by Tigalion

Tschechien: Wahnsinn - BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY verteidigt am 9. Wochenende die Nr. 1-Position, liegt nur 7 % unter dem Startwochenende, überschreitet die Millionenmarke und könnte schon nächstes Wochenende TITANIC schlagen:

Czech Republic: madness (meant in a positive way) Bohemian Rhapsody defended at its 9th weekend the #1 position, with just 9% under its OW, surpasses the million mark (admissions) and could maybe next weekend already beat Titanic

• Like 2
  • Astonished 7

18 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Tschechien: Wahnsinn - BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY verteidigt am 9. Wochenende die Nr. 1-Position, liegt nur 7 % unter dem Startwochenende, überschreitet die Millionenmarke und könnte schon nächstes Wochenende TITANIC schlagen:

Czech Republic: madness (meant in a positive way) Bohemian Rhapsody defended at its 9th weekend the #1 position, with just 9% under its OW, surpasses the million mark (admissions) and could maybe next weekend already beat Titanic

that's crazy...

Hope something like that would happen in Germany...

On 12/30/2018 at 11:12 PM, Taruseth said:

It kind of really does, but to be honest the big European markets and the US are the main markets were it didn't go absolutely crazy, like it did in Korea or Japan or even in smaller European markets.

It did go crazy even in Big European markets, I think it's just that the $$$ totals from SK and Japan have a higher ceiling when a movie breaks out. For 2018 it's #3 in SK and will also land in the top-3 in Japan maybe even #1. In European big markets it is already #1 in Italy, #2 in Spain and #5 in the UK.  It's #6 and #7 in France and Germany but will end up in the top-5 there too. It's performing like a huge tentpole in Europe. The over-performance of this movie is simply NUTS.

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, Joel M said:

It did go crazy even in Big European markets, I think it's just that the $$$ totals from SK and Japan have a higher ceiling when a movie breaks out. For 2018 it's #3 in SK and will also land in the top-3 in Japan maybe even #1. In European big markets it is already #1 in Italy, #2 in Spain and #5 in the UK.  It's #6 and #7 in France and Germany but will end up in the top-5 there too. It's performing like a huge tentpole in Europe. The over-performance of this movie is simply NUTS.

It's locked to become the biggest in Japan for 2018.

However due to the oddity of Japanese film board Eiren, BoRhap will be considered a 2019 film. In Japan, Eiren decided than the year for box office is December 1st to November 30th. They also have another rule that states if a film releases in one year but then makes more than 50% if its total gross in the following year, then it is considered to be of that second year. I.e. BoRhap made more than 50% of its earnings after December 1st, and thus will be considered by Eiren (and thus Japan) as a 2019 film, not a 2018 film. 

This also means that BoRhap may not be 1st in its year, since Frozen 2, the next Detective Conan and also Weathering With You (given its relation to Your Name.), however F2 is likely to be considered a 2020 film due to its likely November release date (or perhaps even an actual 2020 release date). DetCon should make $100m+ and WWY is plausible for anywhere from $100m-$200m. BoRhap currently on track for $90-100m, so top 3 is almost locked, but 1st is not due to Eiren's weirdness. 

--

Sorry for going OT a little, just felt the explanation of Eiren needed some padding

• Like 4