sfran43

Weekend Thread : Asgardian #'s on p.17 ~ 19.6M Saturday

Guys, i think cinema is not quite dead yet. Box office is alive and well. And its all because of one and only one formula:

Make films audiences want to see. They will come.

Make films audiences dont want to see. They wont come.

• Thanks 2

MB RANK FILM DIS. SCREENS (CHG) FRI 3-DAY (-%) TOTAL WK
  1 Bohemian Rhapsody Fox/NR/GK 4,000 $19.2M $48.9M $48.9M 1
  2 Nutcracker… Dis 3,766 $6M $20.2M $20.2M 1
  3 Nobody’s Fool Par 2,468 $5.1M $13.8M $13.8M 1
  4 Halloween Uni/Mmax/Blum 3,775 (-215) $3.4M (-65%) $11.1M (-65%) $150.4M 3
  5 A Star Is Born WB 3,431 (-473) $3.1M (-23%) $10.7M (-24%) $165.2M 5
  6 Venom Sony 3,067 (-500) $2M (-30%) $7.5M (-30%) $198.3M 5
  7 Hunter Killer LG 2,720 $1.2M (-53%) $4.1M (-37%) $13.6M 2
  8 Goosebumps 2 Sony 2,828 (-895) $853K (-52%) $3.6M (-50%) $44M 4
  9 The Hate U Give Fox 1,507 (-868) $992K (-31%) $3.5M (-31%)   $23.5M 5
  10 Smallfoot WB 2,002 (-660) $735K (-35%) $3.1M
(-35%)
$76.7M

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I just wish they’d let their wealth of talented animators draw a damn feature. Disney’s entire legacy came from a pencil. It frustrates me no end that a studio who make so much money from franchises won’t put aside a few hundred million and let their artists make a proper hand drawn feature. No matter what it does. Just get back to at least giving the world a great animated film that’s made for the ages. 

I recognise it’s a business. I know their computer animation is spectacular and I know hand drawn takes so much longer.  But there’s something really sad about them not making hand drawn movies at the moment as there’s no reason for it. 

For the love of the art and the medium just stop making these expensive Nutcracker and Alice run of the mill pictures and invest it in the animation art form they have defined for generations. 

Arrrggghhh. Sorry. Rant over :)

They're actually working on merging 2D and 3D animation with their new animation system Meander. Just watch their short film Paperman, it looks unlike anything ever made, just incredible. Gigantic was supposed to be animated like that, but the film is not in development anymore. But I agree with you, they spend so much money on movies like Alice and The Nutcracker instead of making something new and pushing the boundaries of cinematography. I think the heads should roll because of this week's live action Disney flop, that part of the studio is obviously out of control, bad-quality movies are being printed, and quite many of them flop, which is honestly a good thing. I guess I can't blame them for The Nutcracker, it was put in development long before Alice 2 bombed, I guess Disney thought it would have the same potential at the box office as the first Alice, and when they saw what a stinker they have in their hands, they just let it die a slow and painful death, hence why the marketing for this was abysmal. It's kinda sad, I think, The Nutcracker is really a popular property, if they gave WDAS the task of developing an animated film based on it, I'm sure we would've gotten an instant holiday classic that would've made all the money in the world and the studio would have gotten another Oscar, as well, but instead we got this turd, and I'm happy that it's bombing, quality is always above short trends.

Edited by Titan Man
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, boxofficeth said:

ASIB and Venom over Solo?

No major action films until Thanksgiving should keep Venom alive for a while.

If Venom has a 7.1 weekend (less than Deadline's 7.5 with that same Friday) then it's 15.9 away from Solo (2.24x the weekend). Better than 50-50 shot I guess.

3.2 (+60.0%)

1.9 (-40.6%)

= 7.1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Guys, i think cinema is not quite dead yet. Box office is alive and well. And its all because of one and only one formula:

Make films audiences want to see. They will come.

Make films audiences dont want to see. They wont come.

Which is why it made no sense to us people fighting venoms success. People wanting a Disney marvel monopoly for sure wanted us to fail but why would anyone want that? Nothing good happens when one studio has too much power, look at what happened to Star Wars. We will continue the fight against a monopoly and China showing us bigger love than a lot of their films is also good for our global appeal tenor.gif

Edited by VENOM
  • Like 3

Gaga, the Lady and the Radio were the saving graces of October quality wise.

The Tom Hardy without Tom Hardy with also an inner voice I saw was great too.

The rest was meh : First Man, Venom, Halloween, Christopher Robin.

Smallfoot was ok.

Predator was god awful, killing the franchise for the first half of this century.

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

My list would have most of the same films but in different orders.

Avengers 4 wasn’t out of the ordinary. I wouldn’t say Incredibles wasn’t expected either. 

Incredibles 2 wasn’t?  It smashed the animated records and well exceeded what people were predicting here.  

A4 broke the OW record which is always crazy, and had an insane OS run.

Just because people are expecting two movies to be big doesn’t mean it isn’t still impressive when those movies turn into BO behemoths.