21 Jump Street

48 members have voted

1. 1. Grade 21 Jump Street

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

B+. One of the most consistently funny movies i've seen (at least for the first 75%). I have to give it to Channing Tatum because out of nowhere he is becoming a good actor. Jonah was what you would expect and the supporting cast was strong. And even though I suspected a Depp cameo was coming I loved it all the same. The whole theater went crazy for awhile.

Just came out of the midnight showing! This was the funniest film I've seen in recent memory - it had me and everyone else in constant laughter. Channing Tatum is absolutely fantastic in this, he's actually got a ton of comedic talent. Jonah Hill was funny, too, as well as many others. But this film was actually surprisingly sweet without ever being cheesy. Look out for the scene where Jonah Hill verbally abuses an older woman and then shoves her into a stack of shoe boxes - I was in tears!A

I liked this more than I thought I would since it didn't look that good,

It definitely has it moments and at least 3 cameos that I could see. Not overly funny but still entertaining.

B

I got exactly what I wanted from this.

It was pretty funny during the whole time, (there were so many good moments in here) and it even manages to avoid being predictable some of the time. Tatum and Hill were absolutely awesome together, and Ice Cube was an absolute riot as the "angry black captain."

Am I just choosing movies wisely, or are the movies of 2011 really this awesome?

B/B+

Stunned by how awesome this was... The past year has been so good for comedy. Saw this in a full theater and the whole place was in hysterics for the duration of the movie. Got to agree with everyone else, for his second film in a row Channing Tatum is the standout actor. What is with this 180 turnaround? Even in a mediocre film like The Vow he was great but in 21 Jump Street.. talk about a star turn. He has really great comic timing... little things I noticed, his facial expressions were just right in certain moments.Jonah Hill was also great, he is someone who has grown on me a lot over the years and especially the past year with his role in Moneyball. Other great standouts were Ice Cube and Ellie Kempler who is 2/2 along with Bridesmaids. Normally I think "movies about movies" are cliche and way too easy for Hollywood to produce but I loved all the film references and digs taken at Hollywood, remake culture, etc... The scene where they got high was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while with Tatum jumping in the instruments and Hill messing with the baton during his track meet.. we were in tears we were laughing so hard. And Noctis is right, the scene where Hill piefaces the old lady was hysterical. It got a little loud with some of the action/chase scenes but it wasn't a problem and compared to other "buddy" movies like Superbad and Pineapple Express, this easily comes out on top.8.5/10 (A-)

This movie was hilarious from start to finish. Easily the funniest movie I've seen since Bridesmaids. I love the youtube video they watch with the kid on the drugs and the top comment is "I can't masturbate to this." :lol:

B+

• Like 1

Even though I liked it, I didn't find it as funny as I hoped I would. And that's probably because of all the ridiculously positive things I've read about it over the past two weeks. Still, very funny and a good buddy movie. Loved Depp's cameo and the script was genuinely funny and very well written. Ice Cube was funny in pretty much every scene he was in.8/10

Even though I liked it, I didn't find it as funny as I hoped I would. And that's probably because of all the ridiculously positive things I've read about it over the past two weeks. Still, very funny and a good buddy movie. Loved Depp's cameo and the script was genuinely funny and very well written. Ice Cube was funny in pretty much every scene he was in.8/10

My Thoughts exactly.. Happy to see my boy Jonah getting some love.

"21 Jump Street" mini-review. No spoilers. (Maybe some jokes revealed. Yeah. I read over it. I reveal a couple.)

I saw this last week, and I still like remembering this film. The theater I was in ate it up. Heck I ate it up. It was just fun. Movies should be fun.

So everyone knows what it's about, so I won't explain all that, BUT I think that one of the few faults in the film lies in the case that Hill and Tatum tackle. It's a bit too simple and comes together a bit to easy. It's executed fantastically, the case just seemed a bit weak. It also gets a tad unrealistic and ridiculous at parts (which is weird for a movie that addresses unrealisticness and makes fun of it). Maybe a few irks here and there, but this film is pretty awesome otherwise.

I love that it pokes fun at itself for being a remake, for being another action movie, for being another high school movie. It's incredibly self-aware, and I know some don't exactly love that humor, but I fall all over myself for that kind of movie. Basically every joke works, the characters work well with each other (not to mention the cast), and it's just plain funny. That's what it's supposed to be right? Funny AND Fun. Good job, filmmakers.

Two Quotes:

"One particle of unobtanium has a nuclear reaction with the flux capacitor, carry the two, changing its atomic isotope into a radioactive spider. Fuck you science!"

"That's the end of Act 2!" - Quick sidenote here: I was the only one who laughed out loud at this in my theater. Since it actually was the end of the movie's Act 2, I just couldn't help myself.

Okay. Final score: "Love it." or 8/10

After the Credits! - During! There's a slideshow-esque thing with clips of things blowing up intercut with clips that were cut out of the movie or made specifically for this part. It's fun to see that. It's as soon as the credits start, so you don't have to sit through everything.

Whatever 21 Jump Street might lack in substance, it more than makes up for in entertainment value. The film is hilarious (easily the funniest movie since last summer) and stays loose and fun throughout despite a somewhat lengthy 110-minute running time. The pairing of Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill works brilliantly. Together, they make for a great duo and get maximum mileage out of their unlikely partnership. Tatum is at what is by far the most enjoyable I've seen him, while Hill is funny without coming off as abrasive, unlike in past roles. Given how well the comedy works and how short the stretches between laughs tend to be, taking a light approach rather than a serious one was the way to go in rebooting the show for the screen in 2012, and the playful self-referential humor is effective (at least half the auditorium seemed to laugh out loud when the captain was talking about making old programs hip with new faces and hoping no one would notice while the camera focused on Tatum and Hill). The action scenes are also effective, and the filmmakers and stars capably blend laughs with thrills in these scenes. It's a blast.

B+

Edited by Webslinger

In both my showings, it seemed like the "self aware" film jokes went right over most of my audience's heads. Idiots. :lol:I think I'm seeing it a third time this week. After barely going to the movies at all for the first 2.5 months of 2012, I'll end up seeing two of the newest releases three times each. More than makes up for the drought!

In both my showings, it seemed like the "self aware" film jokes went right over most of my audience's heads. Idiots. :lol:

Weird. In all my showings, everyone seemed to get them. At the very least, Nick Offerman's line about the higher ups lacking creativity and reusing old ideas.