Eric Prime

WrathofHan and CoolEric's Controversial* Predictions of 2019 (*Controversial results may vary)

Lol at anyone who thinks that Dark Phoenix is doing anything more than 140mil at best. Venom had way more hype and is "only" going to gross 215mil. People are sick of cheap looking, colorless and bad costumed Fox X-Men movies, especially Fox X-Men movies with a new cast that they like less than the original cast and sans Wolverine. DP should do over 400mil overseas though. 

• Disbelief 1

June 28

Limited Partners: Without a trailer, it is hard to say where this could land, especially with unproven screenwriters, Miguel Arteta has a decent track record, and Tiffany Haddish is a decent draw even if Nobody’s Fool didn’t light the box office on fire. We will see where this ends up. For now, I will throw a dart at the wall. 20/60 (3x)

Danny Boyle’s New Movie: Again, I need a goddamn trailer to predict this! The premise is a fun one, and musicals are very popular right now. It also helps that bloody ginger Ed is in this as he is bound to have a hit song waiting in the wings with this. Over 100M? Sure. 20/105 (5.25x)

Ford v. Ferrari: TRAILER. I. NEED. TRAILER. Matt Damon and Christian Bale as two of the most well-known motorists feels like an appealing set up, but without a trailer, it is hard to say whether this will break out or be another Rush.Given Mangold is coming off of Logan, I’ll be optimistic. 30/120 (4x)

• Like 4

July 5

Annabelle 3: Annabelle: Creation managed to course-correct the franchise and make a movie people actually liked. This one is bringing in the Warrens, which will certainly excite Conjuring fans. Grudge doesn’t seem like it will go anywhere, and with summer weekdays, this will likely see a mild increase from Creation. 35/45/105 (3x, 2.33x)

Spider-Man: Far From Home: Spider-Man is coming fresh off a banner year. Infinity War, the PS4 game, Venom, Into the Spider-Verse. People can’t get enough of the guy. People are also loving the MCU Spider-Man. Civil War and Homecoming were praised thanks to Spidey, while Infinity War and the “I don’t feel so good” scene made Tom Holland’s character both a meme and an icon, and people are excited to see this interpretation again. The film’s also taking place in Europe, which is a new and exciting location for the webslinger. And of course, there’s also Fishbowl Gyllenhaal. The one thing that might hold it back though its its competition. Lion King will be a far more formidable foe than Apes and Dunkirk, while Hobbs and Shaw ensures August will be bigger than 2017’s. But I feel like there will be enough of an OW boost that movie will at least stay close to the first movie’s total. 130/335 (2.58x)

• Like 4

July 12

17 Bridges: Even with the Russos as producers, this will probably only hit Mile 22 numbers. Not that that’s a bad thing mind you (unless the film has a weirdly high budget). 15/40 (2.67x)

Stuber: Another movie that will be lost in the crazy July shuffle. Funny enough, like 17 Bridges, this also stars an MCU actor. 10/35 (3.5x)

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 2

July 19

The Lion King: Here we go baby. The mega star. The one film we’re all anticipating or dreading. To put things into perspective, Lion King is still one of Disney’s biggest hits in their history. It adjusts to $683.6M in just its original run, and its 3D re-release saw it clear $94.2M back in 2011, so this is obviously a big brand with evergreen appeal. Jon Favreau’s Jungle Book was a smash success, thanks to its incredible VFX technology, and Beauty and the Beast was an even bigger smash success, thanks to its capitalization on 90s nostalgia. Combine the two, and this leads to something majestic. The trailer’s already broken records online, and there seems like a genuine fervor and excitement for this production from audiences.

But is this going to make $1B DOM? To be honest, I don’t even think it’ll be #1 for the year. Even with the VFX wizardry, there’s still the issue of whether or not audiences will just go for the exact same movie, only with a new coat of paint. Also doesn’t help that this is a stacked summer for family flicks. It’ll still make a buttload of money, but guys...calm down a bit. 210/620 (2.95x)

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 3

July 26

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood: Tarantino’s next film after Hateful Eight, the first away from Harvey Weinstein, and coming out after reports over how much of a tool the director is in real life (the Uma Thurman stuff), I'm quite confident in this film. For one, unless more allegations get thrown Tarantino’s way (or if Emilie Hirsch’s shady past gets brought up again), I have my doubts that much of what has been said will stick by the time this movie comes out (whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing is up to you). Second, having Leonardo DiCaprio as the lead will help generate buzz. Both Basterds and Django featured major starpower, which definitely helped them in the box office. Helps that Leo's selective, making each movie that features him an event. With it being the last major adult-oriented film of the season, I think this will do solid business for Sony and put Tarantino on the right foot (heh heh) now that he’s gone from Weinstein. 35/120 (3.43x)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

July 26

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood: Tarantino’s next film after Hateful Eight, the first away from Harvey Weinstein, and coming out after reports over how much of a tool the director is in real life (the Uma Thurman stuff), I'm quite confident in this film. For one, unless more allegations get thrown Tarantino’s way (or if Emilie Hirsch’s shady past gets brought up again), I have my doubts that much of what has been said will stick by the time this movie comes out (whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing is up to you). Second, having Leonardo DiCaprio as the lead will help generate buzz. Both Basterds and Django featured major starpower, which definitely helped them in the box office. Helps that Leo's selective, making each movie that features him an event. With it being the last major adult-oriented film of the season, I think this will do solid business for Sony and put Tarantino on the right foot (heh heh) now that he’s gone from Weinstein. 35/120 (3.43x)

way underpredicted

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i mean wouldn't it make more sense to only post predictions you think are gonna be controversial if you call the thread that. call it "controversial predictions! (at least 90% are pretty agreeable tho)" 

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

July 3-5

Annabelle 3: Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy. As some of you may know, I am not the biggest fan of Annabelle: Creation. When this Conjuring universe film was revealed as another damn Annabelle movie, I was pretty mad. However, casting McKenna Grace made me a bit curious as she is great in Gifted, and then a bombshell dropped: THE WARRENS ARE BACK! I hope they have sizable roles here, but even if they do not, this better be worth a damn after all the spinoff films in the series have been trash. The Warrens being back will help inflate the OW even if legs are not the best. 40/53/105 (2.63x/1.98x)

Spider-Man: Far from Home: Mr. Stark, I don’t feel so good about what Sony is doing with this movie’s marketing. Releasing so close to Endgame makes these trailers challenging as we do not know how Spider-Man is going to be revived. It doesn’t really matter though because this movie will still be massive. Endgame and Captain Marvel will already have the MCU going strong in 2019, and Far from Home will continue those massive grosses. Jake Gyllenhaal donning a fishbowl alone will get this over Homecoming.125/350 (2.8x)

• Like 5

July 12

17 Bridges: Now that Chadwick Boseman led the third highest grossing movie of all time domestically, it will be interesting to see how he fares with a crime thriller. Without a trailer, it is hard to say where it will land, but the Russos producing could help marketing out a bit. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is major competition though, so legs could be pretty meh. For now, I think it will put up a decent gross. 20/50 (2.5x)

Stuber: I love Kumail and Bautista, but this synopsis reads like a bomb. The Uber connection is going to lead to so many cheap jokes about the service, and the “ordinary dude gets thrown into action and mayhem” has been done to death. Unless this movie is somehow good, Spy Who Dumped Me numbers are the best it can hope for. 10/25 (2.5x)

• Like 3

July 19

The Lion King: Yes, this movie is going to be massive and has a chance at being the highest grossing movie of all time. Anyone who expects this to do Beauty and the Beast numbers or worse is joking themselves. That being said, I do not think this will crack the top five of all time. Like BATB, I expect a bit of frontloading (though less given it is the summer), and I think there is a roof on how many people will be clamoring to rewatch what is essentially the original animated movie with fewer songs. The biggest movies of all time had massive rewatchability in the theater for audiences, and I do not think The Lion King will be something a lot of people rewatch repeatedly in theaters. That is why I cannot see it going much over 600M. Maybe I’m wrong and this is a massively different film from the original, but everything points to that not being the case. But yeah, Disney is going to get all the money here. 210/620 (2.95x)

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 3
  • Knock It Off 1