Asyulus

MERRY CHRISTMAS DAY 🎇 # AM 21.8, MPR 11.3, BB 8.8, SMSV 5.7 [FOR ASGARD]

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Holmes & Watson is lucky it opened on Christmas Day because that guaranteed it would have at least one good day its entire run. I doubt it even crosses $45M total.

Not only that, but Sony was smart enough (under the circumstances) to withhold advance screenings not just for critics but audiences as well.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I guess MPR's run is fine if you look at it through the lens of a musical, but I still can't help but believe Disney did expect huge things. Reactions do seem to be somewhat divisive. Lots of people either love it or hate it it seems.

CBM mania has officially reached a level I'm not sure has ever been seen for any genre at the box office before. I don't believe the GA would have been so easily willing to give AQM's cringey dialogue and cliche plot/characters a free pass in spite of the visuals for it to be doing this well even a year ago. Same goes for what happened with Venom. I think BP and IW seem to have shifted the CBM craze into a full blown monster. I'm legitimately concerned for the future of non-CBM big budget films right now. If this only escalates in 2019 and studios see that's all that can really make big bank, pretty soon all the studios are going to give up on tentpoles outside of superheroes. We may have a truly massive genre over saturation headed our way.

All evidence points towards sustained popularity for SH movies. The need studios have for franchises, plus the extensive material provided by decades of comic books, plus ever more potent CGI are the 3 factors contributing to this perfect storm. 

The thing is that the popularity of SH movies just keeps on growing all over the planet. This will be the major genre for many, many years to come. 

4 minutes ago, Spagspiria said:

After close to selling out multiple shows yesterday, the show of H&W starting in 30 minutes hasn’t sold a single seat.

Bad WOM or Christmas frontloading? Both? You be the judge.

Are you gonna continue Box Office Survivor Season 5? Love to watch even if I’m eliminated early.

7 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

How is Vice fairing?

Seems a good bit slower than yesterday, but still going strong.

4 minutes ago, Asyulus said:

Are you gonna continue Box Office Survivor Season 5? Love to watch even if I’m eliminated early.

Unfortunately I doubt it’ll continue any time soon. I just don’t really have the time for it.

1 hour ago, Gamera said:

Much better for Holmes and Watson than I was expecting.

And how big of an idiot does that Deadline writer have to be to act shocked that Vice performed well in Austin, TX?!?!  Or in heartland cities where Dems win but get destroyed in rural areas and lose the state overall.

Yeah, Austin is nearly Washington DC level of liberal if you look at how strong Beto performed there.  

People hear Texas and think conservative, red hat cowboys.  But our cities are very liberal and diverse, and it’s trending blue.

It’s all the rural farm counties that the conservative votes come from.  Even FW, the once major conservative city, has turned blue.

Edited by PANDA
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

All evidence points towards sustained popularity for SH movies. The need studios have for franchises, plus the extensive material provided by decades of comic books, plus ever more potent CGI are the 3 factors contributing to this perfect storm. 

The thing is that the popularity of SH movies just keeps on growing all over the planet. This will be the major genre for many, many years to come. 

I am sure similar things were said about westerns during the 1960s and rom coms during the 90s.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Pretty sure Roma will take picture.