Asyulus

MERRY CHRISTMAS DAY 🎇 # AM 21.8, MPR 11.3, BB 8.8, SMSV 5.7 [FOR ASGARD]

"We had heard for quite some time that test scores for Holmes & Watson were so bad that Sony tried unloading the movie to Netflix, but they wouldn’t buy it. The Culver City lot kept the movie, and opted to do the best that they could do with it, and sold down their share on the movie with Mimran Schur Pictures taking a minority stake."

L

M

A

O

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

Hollywood Reporter is saying On the Basis of Sex did $442K yesterday for a $13K average from 33 theaters. That seems like a great start, especially since it should have no problem appealing to a mainstream audience when it expands wide January 11. Could be a mini sleeper hit.

Destroyer did $10K from 3 theaters for an average of $3,300. This is obviously going nowhere. 

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fmpro said:

All this thrasing of Holmes&Watson makes me wanna see it

I mean, save your money for something else but there are a few things in the film that you just gotta see to believe it.

Spoilers for the film (if anyone really cares to know):

Spoiler

There is an out of nowhere impromptu musical number towards the third act of the film written by Alan Menken. It was truly astonishing.

42 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Once you understand superhero movies is not a genre, you will realize the superhero over saturation won't happen.

Not only are SH movies a genre, they are a very narrow one at that. 

The good thing about this narrow genre though, is that it can be combined with elements from other genres with ease. Also, there is so much existing material from decades of comic books, which makes it easier to pitch more and more movies. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

"We had heard for quite some time that test scores for Holmes & Watson were so bad that Sony tried unloading the movie to Netflix, but they wouldn’t buy it. The Culver City lot kept the movie, and opted to do the best that they could do with it, and sold down their share on the movie with Mimran Schur Pictures taking a minority stake."

L

M

A

O

To think they could've saved themselves from the inevitable Razzie domination they're now about to face.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

It's a genre though, Some type of Action-movies, where some unrealistically overpowered person saves the day against villains that are even stronger.

Nope, 'officially' (there is no officially) its not a genre.

You could maybe call it a sub-genre, even if isn't that 'officially' neither.

But a sub to what:

Depends on on what / how the... like rather often it matches to Sci-Fi. Some say it belongs to action. I have read Fantasy too by professionals (e.g. Thor, Doctor Strange,...).

I do not say its my POV, only that I have seen a lot of discussion about it.

I use 'officially' as it doesn't get schooled in the Media subject in that way (I teach it, I have to use certain materials for it)

I'll give you the link to the German Wikipedia as it has a nice chart for it (no idea why the English version does not)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filmgenre

If you look into the column Gruppierung (~groups, in this case, e.g. mood, plot/doing, biography, ~ tale,...), you might see why it can be a problem to list it.

Only an example, there is more

Oh, and as to read there too, how which country interprets certain genre names differs too, see 'drama'

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Suddenly, it's looking very good for the DCEU. 

Should they just bring back Cavil & Affleck

Cavill, to me, is obvious and a good MOS 2 would be another possible billion grosser. Affleck, on the other hand, tough to say.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaxAggressor said:

From DHD:

the-grinch3.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 9 The Grinch Uni/Ill 2,780 (-900) $8.5M (-27%) $2.3M  $2.1M $258.1M 7

ralph-bti-4.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 10 Ralph Breaks… Dis 2,495 (-866) $4.7M (-49%) $1.2M  $1.7M $165M 5

I'm surprised Grinch dropped on Christmas Day. Thought it would get its last major boost before dropping off post-holidays.