Asyulus

MERRY CHRISTMAS DAY 🎇 # AM 21.8, MPR 11.3, BB 8.8, SMSV 5.7 [FOR ASGARD]

Aquaman with the 6th best Christmas Day ever, and 5th best for movies not opening on Christmas. The movies ahead of it:

Force Awakens ($49.3M), Last Jedi ($27.4M), Rogue One ($25.8M), Sherlock Holmes ($24.6M) (Opened on Christmas), and Avatar ($23M). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

I guess MPR's run is fine if you look at it through the lens of a musical, but I still can't help but believe Disney did expect huge things. Reactions do seem to be somewhat divisive. Lots of people either love it or hate it it seems.

CBM mania has officially reached a level I'm not sure has ever been seen for any genre at the box office before. I don't believe the GA would have been so easily willing to give AQM's cringey dialogue and cliche plot/characters a free pass in spite of the visuals for it to be doing this well even a year ago. Same goes for what happened with Venom. I think BP and IW seem to have shifted the CBM craze into a full blown monster. I'm legitimately concerned for the future of non-CBM big budget films right now. If this only escalates in 2019 and studios see that's all that can really make big bank, pretty soon all the studios are going to give up on tentpoles outside of superheroes. We may have a truly massive genre over saturation headed our way.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquaman-bumblebee-christmas-thursday-night-previews-weekend-box-office-1202524462/

Aquaman had a huge Christmas day earning  $22M, making it one of six films to gross north of $20M on Christmas after Force Awakens ($49.3M), Last Jedi ($27.4M), Rogue One ($25.8M), Sherlock Holmes ($24.6M), and Avatar ($23M).  This takes the James Wan-directed movie to $101M through five days, and with previews $105.7M.

Annapurna opened Adam McKay’s Vice to $4.77M in 7th place. Despite being a divisive film about former Vice President Dick Cheney, Vice remained strong on both coasts with surprising strength in Dallas, Houston, Austin, TX, Arizona, Kansas City and Indianapolis and other heartland cities. The pic received a C+ CinemaScore which is a notch ahead of what Oliver Stone’s 2008 G.W. Bush opus W. received from moviegoers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, MaxAggressor said:

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquaman-bumblebee-christmas-thursday-night-previews-weekend-box-office-1202524462/

Aquaman had a huge Christmas day earning  $22M, making it one of six films to gross north of $20M on Christmas after Force Awakens ($49.3M), Last Jedi ($27.4M), Rogue One ($25.8M), Sherlock Holmes ($24.6M), and Avatar ($23M).  This takes the James Wan-directed movie to $101M through five days, and with previews $105.7M.

Annapurna opened Adam McKay’s Vice to $4.77M in 7th place. Despite being a divisive film about former Vice President Dick Cheney, Vice remained strong on both coasts with surprising strength in Dallas, Houston, Austin, TX, Arizona, Kansas City and Indianapolis and other heartland cities. The pic received a C+ CinemaScore which is a notch ahead of what Oliver Stone’s 2008 G.W. Bush opus W. received from moviegoers.

That’s actually a really solid start for Vice all things considered. It’s bound to see a sizeable drop today so we’ll see how it performs between now and New Years.

• Like 1

MPR seems very strong today, it really plays like a family/kids movie and should have the best drop of movies in the top 5 (and stay strong tomorrow):

2018-12-26 08:00:00	917	Mary Poppins Returns (2018)
2018-12-26 08:00:00	553	Aquaman
2018-12-26 08:00:00	336	Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse
2018-12-25 08:00:00	572	Mary Poppins Returns (2018)
2018-12-25 08:00:00	565	Aquaman
2018-12-25 08:00:00	423	Vice (2018)

• Thanks 1

From DHD:

Sony’s Holmes and Watson landed fourth on Christmas with $6.4M, however audience gave the Will Ferrell and John. C. Reilly PG-13 comedy a D+. which is lower than Ferrell’s Zoolander 2 (C+) and Land of the Lost (C+).

Edited by MaxAggressor
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

Any chance that OD number for Vice is actually higher? I mean it had Tuesday previews and it didn't sell that far behind H&W (which didn't have previews) yesterday. It also somehow finished below The Mule which snagged $4.9m, but Vice sold way more than that...

Edited by Pinacolada

Just now, Pinacolada said:

Any chance that OD number for Vice is actually higher? I mean it had Tuesday previews and it didn't sell that far behind H&W. It also somehow finished below The Mule is snagged $4.9m, but Vice sold way more than that...

The Mule and Vice were about even yesterday at my theater because they were both in similar-sized auditoriums (neither movie got close to the biggest auditoriums anywhere - those were all given to the big movies from last weekend) so it makes sense the grosses are too.

Much better for Holmes and Watson than I was expecting.

And how big of an idiot does that Deadline writer have to be to act shocked that Vice performed well in Austin, TX?!?!  Or in heartland cities where Dems win but get destroyed in rural areas and lose the state overall.

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yep. Even their underperformers weren’t money losers either.

Marwen and Mortal Engines really killed Universal's chances of being second for the year. It's an impressive feat for WB that they've only had 1 $200m domestic film this year so far but they'll still manage to beat all the other studios which had higher grossing films apart from Disney. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Nah Aquaman has 2nd highest Tuesday for cbm just after IW due to this.

Its more on AQM if u go by that metric

Yeah, but I'd say this comparison is kinda unfair.
Considering most Superhero movies don't have Christmas Day on their first Tuesday.

Non the less you are probably right and this is more on AQM.