Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

:mouthdropped:

I'll back them up, MI2 is great! I'd say it's biggest issue is that it's called Mission Impossible (and as such, got cut down by the studio from R to PG-13), when it's much more of a John Woo film than anything. #ReleaseTheWooCut 

I love all the movies (except 3) but I do kinda miss the old plan of a different auteur/style each entry, 4-6 all sorta blend together for me ngl.

• Astonished 1

My ranking would likely be

4 - they finally got the formula right. Stunts, a plot just sensible enough to keep the stunts going, fun team interactions. Burj ascent in IMAX is one of the best cinematic moments ever.

6 - only bad thing is that Cavill felt like a miscast for the smart calculating villain

1 - still great. Iconic CIA heist scene which set the template for the franchise

5 - you can see the seams from the rewrites but it is a really good movie

3 - the formula is coming together, it also has an all-time great villain performance by Hoffman

2 - John Woo does his best

All the movies are varying levels of good to great. 2 is the big outlier now that the series has gone on this long. It steers away from feeling like an MI movie now.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, AJG said:

4, 6, 5, 3, 1, 2 

i just finished watching the first four parts again and i am planning to watch 5 and 6 closer to release....

1- is simply amazing loved the way it was done like an action thriller....especially the thrill bit...no issues with run time just flew...solid stuff

2- weakest but fun...those slow mo stuff was good in parts but overall it was a bit cringe :D again run time is perfect no boring moments

3- well made....happy it shows the emotional side of ethan and how they really cannot have an normal life...which is a valid point considering how he moves on later in the series...solid action sequences...germany and shangai sequences are one of the best in the series...

4- easily the best according to me...crispy cut...divided into 3 segments...russia dubai and india...pacing is perfect! 

same order as of now 4, 6, 5, 3, 1, 2 ✌️

Was looking through this thread half asleep and thought you guys were doing Transformers rankings and was about to unleash my controversial transformers ranking.

But for MI, I'd go 6,1,4,5,3,2. I've seen all of them except for 2 (which I still like) like a 100 times so the rankings don't matter much to me.

I like all the Mission Impossible films to varying degrees but one of my problems with them is that they've gone down the Daniel Craig Bond route of trying to deepen the character, but unlike those films, they haven't really given Ethan Hunt any actual flaws apart from "being too good" and "too nice". 

It's a flaw that goes back to the first movie which was very clearly originally shot with Ethan having an affair with Jim Phelps's wife (you can even see them make out in the trailer*) but when it came down to DePalma's vision vs Cruise's, Cruise won out.

Now, I like the movie regardless but it did set this franchise precedent of both trying to be morally complex while not actually risking making Hunt look bad and cutting out major character beats that help the movie make thematic sense. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

*Seriously, it explains so much of why Phelps does what he does in the movie. The sheer nastiness of his betrayal, his decision to keep Ethan alive as the guy who takes the blame, and him randomly lashing out at his wife and shooting her at the end of the movie. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst

It's been too long since watching 1-4 to remember but I'd say 6 is easily the best, and either 1 or 3 the weakest. But all are enjoyable.

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

My ranking would likely be

4 - they finally got the formula right. Stunts, a plot just sensible enough to keep the stunts going, fun team interactions. Burj ascent in IMAX is one of the best cinematic moments ever.

6 - only bad thing is that Cavill felt like a miscast for the smart calculating villain

1 - still great. Iconic CIA heist scene which set the template for the franchise

5 - you can see the seams from the rewrites but it is a really good movie

3 - the formula is coming together, it also has an all-time great villain performance by Hoffman

2 - John Woo does his best

All the movies are varying levels of good to great. 2 is the big outlier now that the series has gone on this long. It steers away from feeling like an MI movie now.

I would actually say 1 is the the outlier, it's much more serious and straight-faced than the following 5.

23 minutes ago, TerwillikerInst said:

I like all the Mission Impossible films to varying degrees but one of my problems with them is that they've gone down the Daniel Craig Bond route of trying to deepen the character, but unlike those films, they haven't really given Ethan Hunt any actual flaws apart from "being too good" and "too nice". 

It's a flaw that goes back to the first movie which was very clearly originally shot with Ethan having an affair with Jim Phelps's wife (you can even see them make out in the trailer*) but when it came down to DePalma's vision vs Cruise's, Cruise won out.

Now, I like the movie regardless but it did set this franchise precedent of both trying to be morally complex while not actually risking making Hunt look bad and cutting out major character beats that help the movie make thematic sense. 

Hide contents
Spoiler

*Seriously, it explains so much of why Phelps does what he does in the movie. The sheer nastiness of his betrayal, his decision to keep Ethan alive as the guy who takes the blame, and him randomly lashing out at his wife and shooting her at the end of the movie. 

Having rewatched it recently, the affair angle is still there, it's just more hinted at/implicit in the dialogue. I didn't know it was shot to be a main plot point though...wish DePalma won that battle.

31 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Fy-DU6z-Xa-IAAANl8.jpg

Official Japanese Poster // Tom Cruise will mark his 25th visit on July 2023!

I hope it will survive from Hayao’s new movie. The producer of How to Live Your Life dissed this movie unnamed by saying it has too many trailers. Very fun to see their performances in July.

37 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I hope it will survive from Hayao’s new movie. The producer of How to Live Your Life dissed this movie unnamed by saying it has too many trailers. Very fun to see their performances in July.

Atleast good that MI7 moved from initial July 14 release. I don't know why Suzuki gave that comment on MI as it has doing better than most Fantastic Beast, Jurassic World &Fast (I bet that Suzuki felt MI could be good pair to compete with Miyazaki Masterpiece)

Yes, truly excited to look forward for both summer breakout (Kingdom III seems to drop, May be Shin Chan 3D might expand it's GA like Stand By Me Doraemon but 3D is not as popular as back then)