filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Then he should see the movie that won and ask himself why he's mad that a movie that focuses on acceptance between two races won over his movie that focuses all on contention between two races. 

There's neither an acceptance between races in Green Book nor contention between races in BlacKkKlansman. The "acceptance" in the former is one-sided (my, isn't it nice that a racist uncouth white man accepted a black man, but not until after he's taught him how to better be black?) and the contention in the latter is with literal neo-Nazis.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Except it's not, it's been discredited over and over.

EDIT: https://www.snopes.com/news/2015/11/22/donald-trump-cheering-911/

Look at the dates. The story I linked came out a month after the Snopes piece did. Also, the BBC's piece on Vallelonga's tweet in January noted that CBS *did* do a story that day about a group of Muslims celebrating the attack though it didn't run footage of them. Look, I like Snopes too, but in this case they got it wrong.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46835917

Edited by Wrath

The worse thing about Green Book was how conventional and predictable it was. It still was a fairly pleasant, but unchallenging  film. And that's the worst thing about it being a best picture winner. Apart from that, I didn't see anything in it I would deem to be offensive

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I think we watched two completely different BlacKkKlansman movies. Y'know, unless you consider "contention" between a black man and the KKK as a bad thing.

Nice way to put words in my mouth. I said BKKK is all about contention between two races, because it is. That has nothing to with saying the KKK shouldn't be a contentious subject, obviously it is. The point is, one movie chooses to focus entirely on the negative history between two races, even going so far as to suggest nothing has changed at the end, while the other choose to focus on love and acceptance. It's just like Christian's weird obsession with focusing on Jesus's torture and death all the time. Why the hell do you want to put so much energy into focusing on something negative? Learn from the past and go forward with positivity. Otherwise, you're perpetuating the problem. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Thanks 1

This might be one of the biggest Best Picture-upsets since 2009-2010. When The Hurt Locker (one of the lowest grossing BP-nominees of 2009) won the BP over Avatar (THE highest grossing film of all time, mind you).

Seriously? Are billion dollar BP-nominees not allowed to win that Oscar anymore? No, you just give to an averagely-sized BP-nominee. Good god, Academy. 🙄

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

wait so people are mad because someone who said something dumb on Twitter won the award? Now that's just sad. 

And supports a racist president and his entire cabinet. You would have to be naive if you don't think Nick is a racist.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Merkel said:

The worse thing about Green Book was how conventional and predictable it was. It still was a fairly pleasant, but unchallenging  film. And that's the worst thing about it being a best picture winner. Apart from that, I didn't see anything in it I would deem to be offensive

Honestly if people were complaining about that aspect, it would make a whole lot more sense. The blueprint is pretty basic and generic. But I'm a sucker for great execution. It tends to be what makes movies classics, just ask something like Star Wars.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

The fact of the matter is that green book is a “look how far we’ve come” movie and blackkklansman is a “look how far we need to go” movie. Unfortunately I’d say the latter feels more honest than the former.

Completely agree with this. Green Book is definitely the antithesis film to Klansman. I actually kind of like how 'yin and yang' they are. Honestly, I kind of want to watch them together back to back. Because we cannot ignore how far we've come, but we also cannot ignore how far we need to go. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Look at the dates. The story I linked came out a month after the Snopes piece did. Also, the BBC's piece on Vallelonga's tweet in January noted that CBS *did* do a story that day about a group of Muslims celebrating the attack though it didn't run footage of them. Look, I like Snopes too, but in this case they got it wrong.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46835917

Except that the Snopes article does say that there were wrong reports about it, which is exactly the same one the BBC brings up. The fact that he felt the need to support Trump's claim is bad enough my man.

I still feel the hurt that Close had tonight when everybody was hyping up about her win but she still lose out. 

While Olivia Colman was delivering the funny speech that everybody laugh, it just feel that how it hurt to close when she had to go along with the situation 

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Nice way to put words in my mouth. I said BKKK is all about contention between two races, because it is. That has nothing to with saying the KKK shouldn't be a contentious subject, obviously it is. The point is, one movie chooses to focus entirely on the negative history between two races, even going so far as to suggest nothing has changed at the end, while the other choose to focus on love and acceptance. It's just like Christian's weird obsession with focusing on Jesus's torture and death all the time. Why the hell do you want to put so much energy into focusing on something negative? Learn from the past and go forward with positivity. Otherwise, you're perpetuating the problem. 

My man quite honestly you need to stop talking you're making yourself look worse and worse.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

This might be one of the biggest Best Picture-upsets since 2009-2010. When The Hurt Locker (one of the lowest grossing BP-nominees of 2009) won the BP over Avatar (THE highest grossing film of all time, mind you).

Seriously? Are billion dollar BP-nominees not allowed to win that Oscar anymore? No, you just give to an averagely-sized BP-nominee. Good god, Academy. 🙄

Simply making a lot of money shouldn’t be a factor in whether or not a film deserves to win Best Picture. Of course, it should be noted that GB is the highest grossing (domestically speaking) Best Picture winner since Argo, so there’s that. 

10 minutes ago, Merkel said:

Pretty much this. I liked Green Book just fine and highly enjoyed the performances from Mortensen and Ali (and Cardellini too whenever she was on screen) but there's nothing really about that rises above the standards for the genre. Hidden Figures was a better movie within the "feel good movies about racism" genre just two years ago and that was both a much bigger hit and didn't win anything. That said, there are clearly plenty of people who love it both among the public and the Academy and the backlash likely only strengthened their resolve. And good for them. I can't get worked up either way. I'm just happy that we can finally put this season behind us and look to next year.

Edited by filmlover