sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

5 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

That's what WB gets for not striking while the Iron was hot. And they diluted the brand before the sequel came out. There is nothing original about it now.

This. They released the original, Lego Batman, and fucking Lego Ninjago in the span of a few years. Completely ruined any potential for a proper sequel. 

4 hours ago, Jiffy said:

Game Night was overrated af for me personally (love the Jump Street films, though).

WMW looked pleasantly basic, but the reviews may have me reconsidering. 

What Men Want could've been big...but they cast Henson, who Hollywood keeps giving leading roles to all of a sudden for some reason, and that instantly relegated this to B-comedy territory.

I understand stars don't mean as much in 2019, but they still matter in vehicles like this one. They should've aimed as high as What Women Want did when they went after Mel Gibson at the peak of his career and clout 

Edited by tonytr87

Just now, tonytr87 said:

What Men Want could've been big...but they cast Henson, who Hollywood keeps giving leading roles to all of a sudden for some reason, and that instantly relegated this to B-comedy territory.

You know that leading role opportunities for women of color (especially in high-profile romcom vehicles like What Men Want) aren't exactly plentiful, right? Also, she is an Oscar and Emmy nominee and Golden Globe winner, so let's not even pretend to question her acting credentials.

• Like 5

How big exactly could WMW have been? Only way I could see it going beyond 100+ was if they'd cast Sandra Bullock or something. Henson has a fanbase, isn't as expensive, and the movie looks like it'll do nicely.

Reviews I've read also make it sound like the movie doesn't solve its fundamental premise problem, i.e. that What Women Want was about Gibson getting humbled and learning his lessons, but a gender-flipped version is too busy being all "You go girl!" to find that kind of an audience-satisfying journey for its lead. The main hook doesn't work in reverse. Don't feel like there was ever a chance of aiming as high concept-wise or gross-wise.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, John Marston said:

sadly I think Dragon is next to underperform. Basically following the Kung Fu Panda franchise exactly. Ironic that both franchises had constant decreases despite being considered the best of Dreamworks output

i'm not so sure... i think it has a good chance to perform to expectations.... especially if the australian performance is anything to go on by.... it's on track to land between the 1st and 2nd films box office wise (the 2nd film was the biggest here with 26m vs 20m for the first ~ in AUD, the 3rd film is around 21m now and on track to finish around 24m which is equivalent of making 240m domestically (US).  This to me at least indicates the 3rd film should peform at or around the same level as the first 2 films.  (ie. open near 50m and finish between 180m and 210m.

45 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

That is fucking insane, there's really no other way to put it. I get that it's a six-day opening, but holy shit. That's approaching movies like Infinity War and TFA in the states, which had decade(s) of hype leading up to them. 

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2019/02/lego-movie-2-chris-pratt-what-men-want-cold-pursuit-liam-neeson-box-office-weekend-1202552562/

Paramount’s What Men Want is doing respectable business in regards to its $20M cost (before P&A) with an $18.8Mweekend off a $6.7M opening day. 

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part has dropped significantly with a $8.9M first day (down from the $11M we saw at midday), and a $33.4M opening weekend. 

Cold Pursuit isn’t running cold at the box office because of the headlines over Liam Neeson’s reported racist statements, it’s doing $10.2M because he’s made way too many man-with-the-gun movies.

Orion is following a BHTilt model for their horror pics. The Prodigy cost $6M, they’re going to  to do around $5.3M and a $10M end game or more will be fine for their models.

Bad weekend, and MAJOR ouch for Lego Movie.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 5

A 50% drop from its predecessor's opening five years ago would be incredibly discouraging for Lego 2. Like other posters, however, I feel like the studio blew its shot at turning the brand into a reliable franchise by waiting too long to do a proper sequel. Even back when Lego Batman posted a slight underperformance two years ago, there was some thought that a direct Lego Movie sequel would have made more sense at that point in time; now it's even more apparent. Or, on the flipside, perhaps it just illustrates what a fortunate fluke The Lego Movie was in the first place as something that should have been a cheap cash grab but instead ended up being hugely successful critically and financially.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DAJK said:

That is fucking insane, there's really no other way to put it. I get that it's a six-day opening, but holy shit. That's approaching movies like Infinity War and TFA in the states, which had decade(s) of hype leading up to them. 

This ain't the best figures of all time. Besides TFA had $363mn in its 6 days and since the $275mn of Wandering Earth include ticket booking charges as well, the actual gross will be $255mn Approx. That's $108mn less than TFA and $68mn less than Avengers: Infinity War.

Also Wandering Earth took almost 670k shows for $255mn compared to roughly 350k for TFA and Infinity War. And elephant in the room, China has 1450mn people, NA has what? 400? not even?

• Like 2

I cannot wrap my around this. Was waiting for the first bo shocker this year. Upside did very well but within bounds of sanity (similar to The Bucket List). But Lego2's od of 9 including previews (couple of them) is amaze-balls. Would need to show very strong trending to hit even 35.

15.3 (+70%)

10.7 (-30%)

= 35 ow

It's gonna open near half of Lego1's 69 ow and a few above LegoBat's 2nd weekend. Everything is awesful.

Paramount’s What Men Want is doing respectable business in regards to its $20M cost (before P&A) with an $18.8M weekend off a $6.7M opening day. The Taraji P. Henson comedy has the best audience reaction of the weekend out of all the wide entries on PostTrak with 4.5 stars.

Post Trak - 4.5 stars??

Rotten Tomatoes has 44% audience score, 2.9 IMDB score, and NA Metacritic score.

Reviews on RT is 47% and 51% on Metacritic.

Lego Movie with 4 stars PostTrak??  

Where do you get PostTrak data from? and why are the internet bulletin boards so screwy?

45 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Lol that's absolutely awful for Lego. Closer to Ninjago than Batman rip. Sucks too, cause it was a pretty good movie. Hopefully Dragon doesn't suffer the same fate. 

22 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

This ain't the best figures of all time. Besides TFA had $363mn in its 6 days and since the $275mn of Wandering Earth include ticket booking charges as well, the actual gross will be $255mn Approx. That's $108mn less than TFA and $68mn less than Avengers: Infinity War.

Also Wandering Earth took almost 670k shows for $255mn compared to roughly 350k for TFA and Infinity War. And elephant in the room, China has 1450mn people, NA has what? 400? not even?

To be fair, TFA and IW pretty much had "4-day" openings anyways. 40-50+ was made on Thursday for each of those. And China vs. NA's population is irrelevant to the point I'm making. NA is a long-established film market, while China has only been on the rise for a couple of years (maybe a decade or so?). And the fact that its films are even approaching the standard of some of the biggest American films is impressive as hell.