Litio

4-day Weekend Official| Alita $33.50M, Lego $27.75m, Isn't Romantic $16.64M, WMW $12.21m, HDD2U $11m

It doesn't matter one bit if people saw Alita on Tuesday or Wednesday: the unreal WOM effect will be the same. Those who watched it have already told all their friends about the amazing action sequences; grandparents are taking whole families to the IMAX this weekend.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

I wonder what the impact of pushing hard for 3-D for Alita might be.  At my local AMC, they are only offering it in Dolby 3-D and IMAX 3-D, nothing else.  Is the general audience going to be turned off by the upcharge?

(I generally see a movie with my brother on $5 Tuesdays at AMC, but I'm guessing he'll just want to wait a week and see if it's playing in digital by then, rather than pay more to see it in 3-D, something he doesn't care about.)

• Disbelief 1

16 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Source for this 400k-600k number that you seem to be throwing around without any evidence?

I said "should have". Speculation, not fact.

16 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Source for this 400k-600k number that you seem to be throwing around without any evidence?

Oh no, you made me cry. 

But no, this is based on previous fan screenings.

• Knock It Off 1

6 hours ago, Slave Animal Rights said:

anyone know what happened to the millions of Tree fans?

I thought there would be more hype with pop culture fixture Tree returning, 

The problem is, Tree only returned two weeks ago. 

Most of the millions of Tree fans left after Tree was suspended back on Jurassic World opening weekend.

On a working weekday, we can probably consider all 3 movies as "preview" numbers...I doubt the other 2 movies (HDD2U and IIR) made much money before 7pm showings, or at least not much more than Alita made for Tuesday night shows...

Tonight as a working holiday workday should see some higher numbers for all 3 movies...how high will depend on how and when folks are celebrating and which movie they might celebrate with - I'd expect Isn't It Romantic to take the night just on theme, but moviegoers knowing it's 2 months from Netflix (if WW gets it in 2 weeks) might jump for something different...or might just stick to dinner (which is my plan for tomorrow, since my spouse turned down 3d Imax Alita tickets for $4 each...and I'm not paying to see the other 2 films)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

On a working weekday, we can probably consider all 3 movies as "preview" numbers...I doubt the other 2 movies (HDD2U and IIR) made much money before 7pm showings, or at least not much more than Alita made for Tuesday night shows...

Tonight as a working holiday workday should see some higher numbers for all 3 movies...how high will depend on how and when folks are celebrating and which movie they might celebrate with - I'd expect Isn't It Romantic to take the night just on theme, but moviegoers knowing it's 2 months from Netflix (if WW gets it in 2 weeks) might jump for something different...or might just stick to dinner (which is my plan for tomorrow, since my spouse turned down 3d Imax Alita tickets for $4 each...and I'm not paying to see the other 2 films)...

your spouse is broken! you need a new one

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

your spouse is broken! you need a new one

What can I say...he's not as big a movie lover as I am:)...if I was insistent on Alita, he'd have gone...but it's not so appealing to me that I can't wait for video...and the dinner plan is a good one (who doesn't love high end Thai - no need to answer that question:)...

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

What can I say...he's not as big a movie lover as I am:)...if I was insistent on Alita, he'd have gone...but it's not so appealing to me that I can't wait for video...and the dinner plan is a good one (who doesn't love high end Thai - no need to answer that question:)...

Take it to go and watch Alita; perfect Valentine date.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Who cares what it made on Tuesday. The people who saw it then would’ve most likely have seen it yesterday if that fan event didn’t exist...

That’s not how it works at all lol. Just like adding the Amazon shows for Aquaman to the Thursday preview arbitrarily 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

That’s not how it works at all lol. Just like adding the Amazon shows for Aquaman to the Thursday preview arbitrarily 

Why not? The people who went to see Alita in the FAN event would’ve probably see it the day after on Wednesday. Aquaman’s Amazon shows were a week or two before the release date. 

Edited by Godzilla

The only thing knowing what the fan events did is to see if the movie has any bit of frontloadedness to it. The people who saw it Tuesday will have seen it Wednesday imo BUT if that Tuesday number makes up a larger (or smaller) percentage of the Wednesday preview gross, it could give us an idea of whether a movie is going to be front loaded or not. Nothing is set in stone of course but it just gives us an idea. Similar to how we break down the previews to OD ratio to get an idea on a film’s potential frontloadedness throughout a weekend. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Why not? The people who went to see Alita in the FAN event would’ve probably see it the day after on Wednesday. Aquaman’s Amazon shows were a week or two before the release date. 

Then let’s use Fantastic Beasts as the example. It’s never 1-1. Otherwise you end up with movies with sub 7x Multis which do not make sense given the history of Thursday night shows. Not to mention Tuesday may be an easier day to go to the cinema than Wednesday. Who knows?

Edited by The Fast and the Furiosa
  • Like 1