MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

I could totally see the movie having a "unprecedented" drop from it's predecessor

You want to know what is "unprecedented" though? A Hollywood franchise having 7 straight bombs in a row, all with bad audience reception (the last 7 DCEU movies have all gotten B/B+ cinemascore). That's never happened before.

With something that unprecedented, there is no reason not to expect an unprecedented drop.

40/120/290

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

I could totally see the movie having a "unprecedented" drop from it's predecessor

You want to know what is "unprecedented" though? A Hollywood franchise having 7 straight bombs in a row, all with bad audience reception (the last 7 DCEU movies have all gotten B/B+ cinemascore). That's never happened before.

With something that unprecedented, there is no reason not to expect an unprecedented drop.

40/120/290

Christmas season will save its face. I would be shocked if it goes sub $400M

27 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Christmas season will save its face. I would be shocked if it goes sub $400M

Audiences will default to other movies for Holiday season. My prediction is both Migration and Wonka both end up shellacking it. Families will watch Migration or Wish, Teens and young adults will watch Wonka adults will go for Ferrari or Napoleon.

Edited by Bob Train

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Audiences will default to other movies for Holiday season. My prediction is both Migration and Wonka both end up shellacking it. Families will watch Migration or Wish, Teens and young adults, will watch Wonka, adults will go for Ferrari or Napoleon.

It’s going to be a #WishSweep

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Audiences will default to other movies for Holiday season. My prediction is both Migration and Wonka both end up shellacking it. Families will watch Migration or Wish, Teens and young adults will watch Wonka adults will go for Ferrari or Napoleon.

At every step of the way I'm getting flashbacks of how people were convinced the same thing was gonna happen with the first Aquaman with Mary Poppins and Spider-Verse

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 21C said:

At every step of the way I'm getting flashbacks of how people were convinced the same thing was gonna happen with the first Aquaman with Mary Poppins and Spider-Verse

Back then the DCEU still had potential, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad were huge hits, and while Justice League flopped hard it still made $660m WW, which is double what the highest grossing recent DCEU movies made.

None of the last 8 DC movies have done more than $400m WW, the only one that came close to that mark was Black Adam which was carried by the Rock.

Also, China was firing on all cylinders 2014-2019, whereas now the market is nothing for Hollywood, and it's highly unlikely it does over $100m there.

Also, the superhero/CBM craze was real in 2018-2019, and Dark Phoenix was the only one significant that flopped during that period. 8 of them hit a billion during that period, whereas no CBM has hit a billion post-COVID except No Way Home. 

ER is significantly less favorable nowadays, many mediocre CBMs have flopped recently, and the production was, by all accounts, a trainwreck so yeah I'm really not optimistic on this one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 21C said:

I was just gonna say this. People love to play revisionist history now with it, but the first film had lots of competition and people said it was gonna get destroyed. Years later people say "the competition was weak" and that's why it did well.

Looking back,between December 14th and 25th you had:

Into the Spider Verse

Mortal engines

The mule

Mary Poppins

Bumblebee 

Vice

Holmes and Watson

Welcome to marwen

The Favorite 

Mary Queen of Scots

That's a wide, diverse slate. I recall Mary Poppins especially being proclaimed early as the one that would sweep the season.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Back then the DCEU still had potential, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad were huge hits, and while Justice League flopped hard it still made $660m WW, which is double what the highest grossing recent DCEU movies made.

None of the last 8 DC movies have done more than $400m WW, the only one that came close to that mark was Black Adam which was carried by the Rock.

Also, China was firing on all cylinders 2014-2019, whereas now the market is nothing for Hollywood, and it's highly unlikely it does over $100m there.

Also, the superhero/CBM craze was real in 2018-2019, and Dark Phoenix was the only one significant that flopped during that period. 8 of them hit a billion during that period, whereas no CBM has hit a billion post-COVID except No Way Home. 

ER is significantly less favorable nowadays, many mediocre CBMs have flopped recently, and the production was, by all accounts, a trainwreck so yeah I'm really not optimistic on this one.

I am not saying that it is a guarantee that this film will do well. I think it'll either be a massive flop or a giant hit, but it is extremely silly to act like it flopping is set in stone when the fact that the first one made a billion dollars and is WBD's #3 highest grossing film is something that can't and shouldn't be ignored, especially considering how this one is coming out in the same season but with even less direct competition than what the first one had. 

Also no one that watched the first Aquaman did so for the DCEU lol I'll say it again, the main factor that made the first one succesful was "water looks cool". It was a whole theme park ride released in the middle of cold December. This film could very very well be a hit again.

• Like 3

Man all this talk about DC box office success reminds me of when the first Flash teaser came out and people were projecting a billion. I’m getting Nam Flashbacks, if only it became reality.

But alas, I KNOW the fan base won’t show up for this one either. 100% Guaranteed

• Like 1