MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

3 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Man all this talk about DC box office success reminds me of when the first Flash teaser came out and people were projecting a billion. I’m getting Nam Flashbacks, if only it became reality.

But alas, I KNOW the fan base won’t show up for this one either. 100% Guaranteed

There is no fan base at this point.

6 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Man all this talk about DC box office success reminds me of when the first Flash teaser came out and people were projecting a billion. I’m getting Nam Flashbacks, if only it became reality.

But alas, I KNOW the fan base won’t show up for this one either. 100% Guaranteed

The problem with DC isn’t that the fanbase won’t show up, it’s that the general audience won’t.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

The problem with DC isn’t that the fanbase won’t show up, it’s that the general audience won’t.

Opening Weekend for Blue Beetle garnered $25 million. That's about 2 million tickets.

Are you saying they are only 2 million DC fans in America? 

Edited by The GOAT

19 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

The first Aquaman did not make its money because of any fanbase lol

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Opening Weekend for Blue Beetle garnered $25 million. That's about 2 million tickets.

Are you saying they are only 2 million DC fans in America? 

No, I’m saying a franchise movie that opens to $25 million probably doesn’t have a very large, loyal fanbase and probably didn’t do a great job at attracting people who aren’t hardcore fans.

31 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

The Flash was an obvious flop but people fooled themselves into thinking nobody cared about Ezra or that Keaton Batman was going to turn it into a NWH. Aquaman I say has more going for it than The Flash

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It just occurred to me that if the strike doesn’t end before December, James Wan will have to handle the press tour. I don’t know if he’ll be able to handle that. Surely Gunn and Safran could help him out in that case? 

They’ll hang him out to dry, especially after Gunn said The Flash was one of the greatest comic book movies of all time. I doubt they’ll field a bunch of questions from the press about how Aquaman does or doesn’t fit in their new plans.

1 minute ago, Speedorito said:

They’ll hang him out to dry, especially after Gunn said The Flash was one of the greatest comic book movies of all time. I doubt they’ll field a bunch of questions from the press about how Aquaman does or doesn’t fit in their new plans.

Sadly, you’re probably right. Of all the DC movies this year, Gunn has been treating this one like the red headed stepchild. He’ll also likely want to avoid being asked about the rumors that Jason Momoa will play Lobo in the DCU. 

Seems to be more of what made the first film a hit, which is great for me, but I don't know how well today's incredibly hostile audiences are going to respond to this. All the rumours leave me worried as well. I'm going to say that @Bob Train has a decent point and that this could be another Alice Through the Looking Glass in the making. We'll have to wait until December to see how it all plays out though, so I'll avoid making any sweeping statements.

• Like 1

I don't think this will collapse as hard as people are forecasting given the season (like, this will still easily beat flash), but there is absolutely no way in hell this is sniffing a billy, just the money it loses in China will comfortably push it below the mark

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2