MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

9 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

3 extra months for visual effects is a great thing. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Time for the Aquaman and Avatar wars to finally die.

They still picking a fight with avatar 2, only different is they pick a different movie Shazam 2

46 minutes ago, belblazer said:

So this was def the best decision since he couldn't finish it by december.

Fanboys are so gullible (I don't mean you, necessarily).  Take everything every major filmmaker says with a grain of salt.  They are employed by a major studio and want to sell their movie.  I'm sure Wan is working very hard on it, but it's very clear why this movie was really pushed back.  

Edited by Macleod

43 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Fanboys are so gullible (I don't mean you, necessarily).  Take everything every major filmmaker says with a grain of salt.  They are employed by a major studio and want to sell their movie.  I'm sure Wan is working very hard on it, but it's very clear why this movie was really pushed back.  

I mean, they looked very keen about the 2022 calendar with The World Need Heroes teaser. Black Adam will likely do reshoots, needs to be pushed back then everything after it will follow.

Note that Black Adam was expected to be release on the same day as Avatar 2 on 12/16 last year, before COVID. Then Aquaman 2 and now Shazam is on the date. They don't seem to be afraid of facing it.

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Its not that deep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Trades are saying WB was puting Wan and VFX crew under a lot of pressure to deliver the movie by December even if it´s not enough time to a good post production for nearly 2 months. 

Of course avoiding Avatar is also a factor since they´re both underwater billionaire movies and have a lot of appeal to China, so it´s bad to release together. But this doesn´t mean Wan is lying when he said he doesn´t think the movie would be finished by December anyway.

10 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Trades are saying WB was puting Wan and VFX crew under a lot of pressure to deliver the movie by December even if it´s not enough time to a good post production for nearly 2 months. 

Of course avoiding Avatar is also a factor since they´re both underwater billionaire movies and have a lot of appeal to China, so it´s bad to release together. But this doesn´t mean Wan is lying when he said he doesn´t think the movie would be finished by December anyway.

Source for the bold other than Wan, himself?  I see neither Variety, THR, or Deadline mention this assertion -- all they mention is "packed VFX production lines" etc.   

It would also be nice if by December Hollywood would stop pandering to/worrying about/factoring in China's potential releases/grosses as much, too, but I somehow doubt that will be the case.  There's not a multi-billion-dollar movie market in Russia, but there is in China... 

And yes, I'm not implying Warners is "afraid."  These studios simply want a good space to release their movie, and quite simply placing two huge movies with underwater themes during the same release weeks was never going to be good for anyone -- so it was never going to happen.  

Wan already said this wasn’t gonna be ready for December so it really doesn’t matter anymore what reason some of you want. He literally just finished filming two months ago. I already said a while back no one should be shocked with the delay. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AnDr3s said:

the fact that the only bilion dollar franchise that WB have right now is aquaman is funny asf

Joker? It’s getting a sequel. Batman? Seems to be doing strong. DC is their strongest franchise. But The Conjuring franchise is their most healthy (most successful horror franchise). 

So wife beater Johnny Depp’s new lawsuit against Amber Heard almost lead to WB dropping her for this

Amid the scandal, Warner Bros. initially declined to pick up Heard’s option for Aquaman 2, I’m told, despite the first film grossing $1.1 billion. Walter Hamada, president of DC Films, sat for a three-hour deposition on this issue as part of the Depp case. (The depo is not public, but attorneys are planning to introduce it in the trial.) Hamada is said to have testified that Heard was initially not picked up because there were concerns about her chemistry with star Jason Momoa. Indeed, the duo have publicly referenced issues on set during the first film. But Heard’s team believed the Depp scandal was the real cause of the reluctance.

Regardless, Heard was eventually picked up, and has shot the Aquaman sequel, but she wasn’t able to negotiate a fee increase commensurate with co-stars like Momoa, as might be expected on the follow-up to such a runaway hit. That’s a direct financial consequence of the Depp lies, she says, and expert testimony could back up her claim. She also hasn’t booked additional lucrative roles or endorsements due to the Depp taint, she claims.     

Use “Reader View” to bypass paywall

https://puck.news/johnny-and-amber-have-both-already-lost/?_cio_id=f6c60601ee489fb302&utm_campaign=What+I'm+Hearing+-+LEADS+(4%2F10%2F2022)&utm_content=What+I'm+Hearing+-+LEADS+(4%2F10%2F2022)&utm_medium=email_action&utm_source=customer.io

Edited by AJG

Saw Aquaman a few days ago again. My opinion hasnt changed, its still absolutely awesome and one of the best SH movies for me. It knows its stupid and embraces that stupidity in every way possible. I especially love the scene where Aquaman and Mera are under the sahara desert and theres still somehow sunlight there.

Sunlight. Under the desert.

God, i really like this stupid movie.

• Like 3

Moderation: We have a thread dedicated to the Depp/Heard situation at https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/21877-amber-heard-alleges-domestic-abuse-charges-on-johnny-depp/page/12/#comments

Please keep discussions in this thread focused on the movie and take any discussions regarding the Depp/Heard situation to the above linked thread. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Saw Aquaman a few days ago again. My opinion hasnt changed, its still absolutely awesome and one of the best SH movies for me. It knows its stupid and embraces that stupidity in every way possible. I especially love the scene where Aquaman and Mera are under the sahara desert and theres still somehow sunlight there.

Sunlight. Under the desert.

God, i really like this stupid movie.

More movies need to embrace pure fun. Still can't believe some YouTube critics complained about an octopus playing the drums in a CBM.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, grim22 said:

More movies need to embrace pure fun. Still can't believe some YouTube critics complained about an octopus playing the drums in a CBM.

I actually have a hard time believing that anyone who has a sense of humour finding that scene bad.